Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wrenches: Switching PM Between TT and Road Bike
Quote | Reply
Hi all!

I have a Cervelo P2 with a 53/39 Quarq on it. Because of some shoulder issues, my doctor wants me sticking to my road bike for the next few months, as the position is less aggressive and puts less strain on the shoulder (I dislocated it about 5 weeks ago).

I want to move the Quarq over to my road bike (a Jamis Ventura Race) so I can still get data while I am away from the P2. The only wrinkle is that the Jamis currently has a compact crank on it, which means the chain isn't going to work.

Can I just use the chain from my P2 on the Jamis, or will the ultimate length be different?

THANKS SO MUCH!!

----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
If at first you DO succeed, try to hide your astonishment!
Quote Reply
Re: Wrenches: Switching PM Between TT and Road Bike [mahlergrooves2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Length will be different beacause of different chainstay lengths.
It might work, try it.

Else, a chain is not very expensive.

What rings are on your "compact"? If you're going from a 50-53, try it, you might have enough length anyway.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wrenches: Switching PM Between TT and Road Bike [mahlergrooves2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bigger problem than the chain is that the bottom brackets may not be compatible.

From my brief google it looks as though the jamis comes with a square taper BB while the P2 has a PF30.

If that is the case then you are in trouble as there aren't many good ways to fit a 30mm crank to a threaded BB.

Edit: Found the following which might solve your problem (if indeed the problem exists)

http://www.velotechservices.co.uk/...1&cat=7416001655
Last edited by: OchAye: Jul 30, 14 14:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no wrench but I'm pretty sure you'll have to adjust the height of your FD to account for the taller 53/39 when you move it over to your Jamis which currently has a compact. It won't line up unless you move it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other posts are correct. The chain issue is minor and you will probably be fine depending on what large chain ring and large cassette ring you are running on the road bike compared to the tri. The bottom bracket is another animal. I am quite versed in BB and have run several odd setups so there is usually a solution. The question is what type of crank do you have on your tri bike? (Gxp or bb30). Also what crank is on your road bike and do you know your BB standard? As someone else mentioned you may have a BB30 quarq and a threaded BB on your road bike. The quarq will work with a new rotor BSA30 BB if that is the case. Feel free to PM me if you want. Glad to help

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swap between standard and compact setups on my road/TT bikes. if you've cut the chain properly, it is not a problem. Cut it slightly slack in the compact position using the campagnolo method you may have tiny bit of chain slack in the compact setup but nothing that I worry about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the help! So, I am getting the sense that the chain is the least of my worries and that I primarily should be concerned with the bottom bracket compatibility and the front derailleur height.

As for the bottom bracket, the Cervelo came with a Shimano Ultegra crank, which I replaced with the SRAM Quarq PM. I did this with a bottom bracket adapter, which works awesome and has never given me a problem. The Jamis has an FSA compact crank on it. I am therefore assuming that I can just use the same adapter on the Jamis and have everything work. Or is that incorrect?

Thanks again for all the help!!

----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
If at first you DO succeed, try to hide your astonishment!
Quote Reply