Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Would you wear a wetsuit for a 400m downriver swim in a sprint?
Quote | Reply
I imagine the answer is NO if you are a FOP swimmer and YES if you are MOP/BOP... but I would love your collective input :-)
FWIW, my only wetsuit is full-sleeved, and water temp will be in the 70's

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Re: Would you wear a wetsuit for a 400m downriver swim in a sprint? [TheJeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would wear one, and largely for the reason that you state.
Swimming, I'm MOP (Optimistically). The 10sec that it would take me to get the suit off in T1 would be well worth it for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you wear a wetsuit for a 400m downriver swim in a sprint? [TheJeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: A LS wetsuit is worth 6-10sec./100m, so 24-40sec. in that swim. If you can take a wetsuit off faster than that....

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I would, but I have a QR shortjohn. It comes off in seconds. I take it everywhere.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. Every sevond counts and you should be trying to gain them wherever you can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends more on the length of T1.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you wear a wetsuit for a 400m downriver swim in a sprint? [Jmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jmercer wrote:
Depends more on the length of T1.

A wetsuit will only save me about 16 seconds in a 400m swim. Maybe a tad more downriver with a strong current but not much. I'm almost invariably slow at removal, like 15 seconds at least. Add to that that it slows me down a bit running. If it's a long run from the water to T1 then I probably skip the wetsuit unless the water is cold. Of course this probably just means I need to get better at removing the damn thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even for MOP, if you're swimming downriver, the current will speed you up enough for 400m that you probably will only gain 5-10s with the wetsuit. BOP is a no brainer but for swim aid more than anything else.

I'm in a similar position for a 750m swim next weekend, but the water will not be in the 70s... I wish... It will be a balmy 60-64F come Sunday. I don't think we'll see many without the wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other option would be to wear Roka Sim shorts...you'd be a bit faster and getting them off would be quicker than a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for an accurate 400m course going downriver, no.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
400M of the swim is downriver or it is a 400M swim? I ask because a sprint tri is usually 750M :)

What is your normal swim pace? If you are MOP at 1:45/100M you are looking at about a 7 minute swim, maybe 6:30 with a wetsuit. Can you take your wetsuit off, in full sprint mode, in 30s?

My guess is you'll pass most people in your part of the pack in T1.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope....
And I like my wet suit..
I'd go with a fast one piece and likely not even bother with a swimskin either..
Just get on some good feet and hang on.. it will be over real fast anyway...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheJeff wrote:
I imagine the answer is NO if you are a FOP swimmer and YES if you are MOP/BOP... but I would love your collective input :-)

No I would not. Time saved in T1 and swim exit tip the scales for me

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've worn my wetsuit for a shorter swim than that. ;) So my answer is "heck yes".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking at the same, 400M sprint swim, but a swimskin. I tested it and any speed advantage was quickly erased in pulling the thing off.

No suit for me, just not worth it. An unnecssary complication

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheJeff wrote:

Probably a no for me. Reason - more risk to wear one. I think it would be roughly even speed gain vs transition loss on a normal length transition but you have the risk of loosing big time if you mess up getting it off. Not having it also buys you a little more time before the race starts with not having to put it on. If you're the kind of person that's normally a bit rushed on race day a few extra minutes to relax could also lead to a better race.

Iain

Training Full Time in 2015: http://www.triopensource.com
http://www.facebook.com/iaingillamracing http://www.twitter.com/iaingillam
https://www.youtube.com/...9JYCrOLP34Qtgp5w1WsA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, any gain pretty much washes out for me in T1. Unless it's cold I skip the wetsuit for sprints for one less thing to deal with/go wrong. I try to keep it simple as possible.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably not. I swim better without my wetsuit and tend not wear it unless the water temperature is clearly an issue. For the record, I'm usually MOP in M60-64, depending on who else shows up.
Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me no, last sprint I did I was second out of the water behind someone in a suit by about 10 seconds I think. I was out on the bike by over 10 seconds before him. When I was unracking my bike he was still working on getting his suit off, was at least smart and was putting on helmet while wrestling with getting it off his feet.

Did my first swim in my full sleeve yesterday (sleeveless previously) and was shocked how much faster it was, even with that knowledge I doubt I would wear it for a sprint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends on how cold it is.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say 'Yes'. Use a wetsuit, just like a disc - every time you can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you use the wetsuit like a suit of armor? Many people feel invulnerable and confident in a wetsuit.

I am a MOP swimmer, but wouldn't wear it. I feel confident in the water and for such a short distance it isn't worth the hassle in T0 or T1.

And before it comes up no socks either.

At HIM and IM the rules change with 100% wetsuit and socks unless the rules prohibit wetsuits.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you wear a wetsuit for a 400m downriver swim in a sprint? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:
Do you use the wetsuit like a suit of armor? Many people feel invulnerable and confident in a wetsuit.

I am a MOP swimmer, but wouldn't wear it. I feel confident in the water and for such a short distance it isn't worth the hassle in T0 or T1.

At HIM and IM the rules change with 100% wetsuit and socks unless the rules prohibit wetsuits.

No socks in HIM or IM either.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you wear a wetsuit for a 400m downriver swim in a sprint? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
linhardt wrote:

No socks in HIM or IM either.

Your shoes/feet must be perfect.

With my Newtons Gravity and previously Brook Glycerin baby powder in the shoe and body glide applied before the race would get me to mile 5-ish before I would begin to feel pain. For a Oly I could run through the last mile and deal with hot spots later, but if I had 8(or 21) more miles to run I would quit the field in disgrace rather than rip up my heel/calf joint.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim 5:5x in the pool, so no, I would not bother for a downriver swim - I would just do the whole thing in a Swimskin, as I do with pool sprints.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply

Prev Next