Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date!
Quote | Reply
(Originally posted in the wrong forum like a dumbass...)

Hour Record - We have a date

It's official. We have a date. I will be making an attempt on 55-59 World Hour Record (okay, "Best Hour Performance") at the Bicentennial Velodrome in Aguascalientes, Mexico on either July 15th or 16th. We have a group of four athlete's, Andi Smith (Women's 50-54), Molly Van Houweling (Women's 40-44), Dan Bryant (Men's 45-49) and myself. We will schedule the attempts over two days as the velodrome is not air conditioned and it gets quite hot inside during the day. To maximize distance you want it as warm as you can stand without affecting your performance. Warmer air is less dense. Going when it's still cool inside could cost you as much as a lap or two. In general there is usually a window each morning and afternoon when the temperature is in the optimal range.

The record I'll be attempting to break is 47.773 km and was set by Jim McMurray of New Zealand in March, 2016. To do that I'll need to ride a
minimum of 191.25 laps on the 250 meter track, averaging 18.8 seconds per lap. Based on what I've done at sea level at Hellyer Velodrome I believe I can ride 200 laps, at 18 seconds per lap for 50 km. The schedule will need to be fine tuned as I test more and won't really be final until doing a short test effort once we're in Mexico. Probably a 10-15 minute race pace effort about two days before the big day.

I know what you're saying. "Dude, you only rode 46.2km at Hellyer, how the heck to you expect to ride 50kph in Mexico?!?!" Good question. There are four parts to the answer.

1. Altitude. Aguascalientes is 6,200' above sea level. The lower air density makes a big difference. Yes, you lose about 8-10% of your sea level power, but air resistance increases by a cube factor as you go faster. The lower air density more than makes up for the power drop.

2. Aguascalientes is an indoor velodrome. No wind. It was quite windy during my recent Hellyer ride, probably costing me at least 500 meters.

3. Front disk wheel. Since there is no wind you can safely ride a front disk wheel. The front disk makes a tremendous difference, more than a rear disk.

4. Aguascalientes is a smooth wooden track and the rolling resistance is significantly lower.

This can all be quantified and calculated reasonably well. Knowing the weather (temperature, air density, wind, etc.) and power from a ride at
Hellyer, you can calculate your CdA (aerodynamic drag). Knowing that and expected temperature and air density at Aguascalientes you can plug that data into a spreadsheet and get an pretty good estimate of how fast/far you'll ride at altitude. That data points towards 50kph in Mexico for me.

As kind of sanity check I know that my 40km PR at sea level is about 3 minutes slower than my PR at 5,000' which fits with the calculations.

My team mate Dan and I have been really lucky to have help from Gu, BMC and Inside Tracker. Gu has assigned us a nutritionist to go over our diet and recommend changes. I've made some changes based on her recommendations and I feel like I've been riding well so I think it's helping. BMC set us up with new Time Machine TT bikes to use for the effort. Finally GU set us up with Inside Tracker to get periodic blood tests to monitor our health and nutrient levels. Many of the diet changes I've made have been based on those results.

More info at:

kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
facebook.com/worldhourrecord

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date! [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello nslckevin and All,

Good luck!!

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date! [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Your attempt is not so difficult: 49,4km without aero frame, wheels, helmet,...
Quote Reply
Re: World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date! [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Testrider wrote:

And, no doubt, consuming only salad and mineral water.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Keep us posted.
Quote Reply
Re: World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date! [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Testrider wrote:

Actually, in Mexico food is somewhat of a concern.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2011-11/athletes-must-show-caution-due-to-contaminated-meat-0

I do not want to be "that guy", the guy who says it was contaminated meat, who nobody believes. Starting my research now...

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck, will be watching with interest. The common assumption is going to that track is worth somewhere around ~2k. I think with your palmares you are good pacing away from a record, with or without altitude.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, and good luck to you all! I would love to hear more about the gear you intend to use for your attempt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin,

Best of luck with this. I've learned a lot from your posts here. Really hope you can break 50k.

Kill it!!!

~Bill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck Kevin.
May the air density fairy be favourable.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Last edited by: AlexS: May 24, 17 14:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
klehner wrote:
Testrider wrote:

Actually, in Mexico food is somewhat of a concern.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2011-11/athletes-must-show-caution-due-to-contaminated-meat-0

I do not want to be "that guy", the guy who says it was contaminated meat, who nobody believes. Starting my research now...

You should be ok with chicken. Steer clear of the raw milk cheese as well. You don't want to be doing a Dumoulin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to hearing/seeing more, Kevin! I've been on a steady diet of 2x20's since winter, and am stronger than ever with way less hours per week. Thanks for the inspiration!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3. Front disk wheel. Since there is no wind you can safely ride a front disk wheel. The front disk makes a tremendous difference, more than a rear disk.

Excellent! I rode a front disk once, on the road, on a borrowed bike, at Nats in 1991 (Tooele). It was awesome on the way out with a tailwind, but on the way back into the headwind I got slapped around pretty good. But you won't have that problem on the track!

Best of luck to you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck Kevin! Just curious about your plan for acclimatization. Will you hang out in Tahoe for a couple weeks beforehand?

Lanier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck. It'll be one hell of an effort. Along with your team Molly will be great to bounce ideas off. She has form when it comes to hour records. Her pacing from the outside looked perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date! [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:

Excellent! I rode a front disk once, on the road, on a borrowed bike, at Nats in 1991 (Tooele). It was awesome on the way out with a tailwind, but on the way back into the headwind I got slapped around pretty good. But you won't have that problem on the track!

Best of luck to you!

The only time I rode a front disk was in Spokane at the '88 Olympic Trials TT. Got hit by a side gust and ended up on the ground! But up to that point it was crazy fast. Hoping that this time goes a bit better. :-)

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date! [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
Good luck. It'll be one hell of an effort. Along with your team Molly will be great to bounce ideas off. She has form when it comes to hour records. Her pacing from the outside looked perfect.

Rob and Molly have been a great help in the endeavor. We are lucky to have them along since they have this dialed in so well.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date! [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
Good luck Kevin! Just curious about your plan for acclimatization. Will you hang out in Tahoe for a couple weeks beforehand?

Lanier

Unfortunately real life does not allow that sort of thing for me.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
bluntandy wrote:

Rob and Molly have been a great help in the endeavor. We are lucky to have them along since they have this dialed in so well.

And Colby Pearce, not a bad person to quiz on hour's (I believe he's Molly's coach?)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I started right behind Jim McMurray at the World Master Games a month ago. A gentleman and a nice guy. But I wish you luck and hope you manage to break the record nevertheless.

p.s. I would not under-estimate the difference in Crr. It's been a 12 years since I rode at Hellyer, so maybe it's changed. But the surface at the time was absolute crap. The difference could be as much as what I see between the rollers and smooth asphalt: .0005 to .001 (5 to 10 watts).

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: May 25, 17 7:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with the hour record! Will you be going for the American 55+ 40KM record in NorCal TT Champs this June as part of your build up?
Quote Reply
Re: World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date! [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerry wrote:
Good luck with the hour record! Will you be going for the American 55+ 40KM record in NorCal TT Champs this June as part of your build up?

Yes. I only missed it by 2 seconds last year on a pretty windy day. If conditions are good I'm hoping to take a minute out of it. We will see...

It will also be a good power benchmark for the hour since the TT is at 5,000'.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin, first best of luck this weekend going for the AR 40 KM mark. When Gary set that mark a few years ago I thought it may have some holding power. But, your FTP of 320 watts at sea level is pretty impressive. You look like you may weigh about 160? I haven't looked at the forecast for Sunday. Some good weather and I think you'll have your second AR. Gary will be trying to lower his 60+ mark a little more this Sunday too. He is also fit and I believe he'll take a good chunk out of that one. Second, thanks for the Master's Natz gift.
Quote Reply
Re: World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date! [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerry wrote:
Kevin, first best of luck this weekend going for the AR 40 KM mark. When Gary set that mark a few years ago I thought it may have some holding power. But, your FTP of 320 watts at sea level is pretty impressive. You look like you may weigh about 160? I haven't looked at the forecast for Sunday. Some good weather and I think you'll have your second AR. Gary will be trying to lower his 60+ mark a little more this Sunday too. He is also fit and I believe he'll take a good chunk out of that one. Second, thanks for the Master's Natz gift.

Thanks and congrats on the jersey! Everything depends on the weather of course, but if it's good I'm hopeful for Sunday.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
To maximize distance you want it as warm as you can stand without affecting your performance. Warmer air is less dense. Going when it's still cool inside could cost you as much as a lap or two. In general there is usually a window each morning and afternoon when the temperature is in the optimal range....

1. Altitude. Aguascalientes is 6,200' above sea level. The lower air density makes a big difference.

Are you sure about the temperature? At sea level I get it, but at 6200 ft you will be at the part of the curve where lowering air density further will yield little gain in speed. I wouldn't think you'd be wise to give up anything in "comfort" for a little lower density.

I think you'll crush the record regardless. Best of luck!
Quote Reply

Prev Next