Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes
Quote | Reply
So who is buying them immediately? The whole tables are messed up for running,, as this indicates she is 13:19 5k runner.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tigist Assefa's performance was absolutely bonkers crazy today! To put this in perspective, I'm old enough that I was alive, when the men's record was not sub 2:12 - then Derek Clayton had a huge breakthrough I believe in 1969 to drop the record to 2:09 - although I read something recently that there is some suspicions about the Course length that Clayton raced that record on. Anyway - any of Assefa's her 10K splits, could be the 10K Women's Road Records in many countries! She obliterated the standing women's marathon record by over 2 minutes - 2:11:53. She become the first woman to run under, 2:14, 2:13 and 2:12!

Not much is known about here. She was a notable 800m runner (1:59) up until 2016 - 2017 (2016 Olympian in that event for Ethiopia) but then made a switch to the roads and longer races sometime after that. She did run 2:15 last year at Berlin for the win kind of coming out of no where - and that was a shocker! Today was her third marathon - her first was early in 2022 - 2:34. So she's run 2:34, 2:15, 2:11!!! Her half marathon splits today were well under her own half marathon PB (1:07)!!

Already this is being lauded by many as the running performance of the year - man or woman! Maybe all time to date for women!! It's truly otherworldly! She was well over a minute up on the record pace at the half way mark and then - picked it up substantially from there. Her final 300m to the line this morning, looked like she was an 800m runner on the track!

Now I risk running afoul of the Forum's somewhat new unwritten rules, and Ryan's wrath when it comes to this - but the obvious 900 lb gorilla in the room is, is this really legit, or has Assefa had some chemical assistance? All the red flags are here. A somewhat unknown athlete. Makes absolutely startling off the charts gains, in a relatively short period of time. There have been a high number of positives from Kenyan and Ethiopian runners in the last few years. WE KNOW the Out-Of-Competition (OOC) testing in those countries is NOT what it is in other more developed countries - in some cases non-existent. I know athletes on National Teams in Canada in various sports - their doors are getting knocked on regularly for OOC testing! There will be testing done in Berlin today, but it's the OOC testing that is really key to catching athletes. You, and your handlers would have to be complete idiots to get caught in a a REALLY big event where you KNOW there will be testing! There I said it!

It's unfortunate that we cannot watch these performances with the awe and amazement that may have years ago - in the back of the mind, particularly when the Record Breaking is of this magnitude, how can our minds NOT go to what I said in the previous paragraph?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 24, 23 13:38
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it was legit this was the sub 2 marathon for a female.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of shoes was she wearing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Her 2nd half marathon today would have been the open half marathon world record as recently as 2014.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [Naplover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Naplover wrote:
What kind of shoes was she wearing?

Adidas Adizero Adios Pro Evo 1
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [Naplover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adidas shoes

Last edited by: synthetic: Sep 24, 23 13:56
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it was legit this was the sub 2 marathon for a female.

Kipchoge's Sub-2(1:59:04) is not recognized by World Athletics and this does not have a WA Score. But FWIW his legit Marathon World Record of 2:01:09 yields' a WA score of 1312

Assefa's 2:11:53 from today yields a WA Score of 1318 - so possibly the equivalent or equal of Kipchoge's sub-2 time?

Now women in mixed races like this do often run with a phalanx of other men around them, and have male pacers so for them, it's not unlike Kipchoge's set-up sub-2 time - where he had a pace car, and a rotating group of fresh pacers coming in and out of the attempt, all running in a predesignated pattern just ahead of him that had proven to cut down on wind resistance notably!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Tigist Assefa's performance was absolutely bonkers crazy today! To put this in perspective, I'm old enough that I was alive, when the men's record was not sub 2:12 - then Derek Clayton had a huge breakthrough I believe in 1969 to drop the record to 2:09 - although I read something recently that there is some suspicions about the Course length that Clayton raced that record on. Anyway - any of Assefa's her 10K splits, could be the 10K Women's Road Records in many countries! She obliterated the standing women's marathon record by over 2 minutes - 2:11:53. She become the first woman to run under, 2:14, 2:13 and 2:12!

Not much is known about here. She was a notable 800m runner (1:59) up until 2016 - 2017 (2016 Olympian in that event for Ethiopia) but then made a switch to the roads and longer races sometime after that. She did run 2:15 last year at Berlin for the win kind of coming out of no where - and that was a shocker! Today was her third marathon - her first was early in 2022 - 2:34. So she's run 2:34, 2:15, 2:11!!! Her half marathon splits today were well under her own half marathon PB (1:07)!!

Already this is being lauded by many as the running performance of the year - man or woman! Maybe all time to date for women!! It's truly otherworldly! She was well over a minute up on the record pace at the half way mark and then - picked it up substantially from there. Her final 300m to the line this morning, looked like she was an 800m runner on the track!

Now I risk running afoul of the Forum's somewhat new unwritten rules, and Ryan's wrath when it comes to this - but the obvious 900 lb gorilla in the room is, is this really legit, or has Assefa had some chemical assistance? All the red flags are here. A somewhat unknown athlete. Makes absolutely startling off the charts gains, in a relatively short period of time. There have been a high number of positives from Kenyan and Ethiopian runners in the last few years. WE KNOW the Out-Of-Competition (OOC) testing in those countries is NOT what it is in other more developed countries - in some cases non-existent. I know athletes on National Teams in Canada in various sports - their doors are getting knocked on regularly for OOC testing! There will be testing done in Berlin today, but it's the OOC testing that is really key to catching athletes. You, and your handlers would have to be complete idiots to get caught in a a REALLY big event where you KNOW there will be testing! There I said it!

It's unfortunate that we cannot watch these performances with the awe and amazement that may have years ago - in the back of the mind, particularly when the Record Breaking is of this magnitude, how can our minds NOT go to what I said in the previous paragraph?

Things that suck in sports right now.

People compare to old technology, courses and performance vs different variables.

If someone does something we all assume is just better drug cocktails.

If one your favourites has an excuse it shouldnā€™t count as a lose but if their competitors does that win counts.

We are more impressed with a time split on an easier course ( shorter course) than a win over better competition on a hard course.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Trust me. I DON"T want it to be this way!

I want it to be this way: When I was 7 years old I had my first recollection of watching the Olympic Games in Mexico in 1968. My Dad and I happened to be watching Live on TV, when Bob Beamon absolutely destroyed the Men's Long Jump World Record by a ridiculous amount. Afterwards we went out our the backyard and my Dad got a tape measure out and measured out 29 ft. He stood at one end of the tape and I at another. I was in absolute awe and astonishment that a human could jump that far. (I suspect that Beamon was clean). That's what I want! That feeling!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Montreal Olympics 76 - Frank Shorter came second to east German that later was implicated in state-doping scheme (though not actually caught for this specific race). So this is nothing new, I think its just since Lance it is so much more on everyone's mind.

But this is all just distracting us away from synthetic's normal troll/rant about carbon shoes (or any other technology for that matter).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
So who is buying them immediately?

How long is test and return policy? šŸ˜€
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe how little media coverage there has been about this achievement.

Like the previous poster said, this is on par with Kipchoge's achievement. He has been lauded non-stop by the newspapers. Where is the coverage of this athlete? As is my habit, I read through several newspapers this morning before moving on to Letsrun - and I didn't even know this had happened before reading Letsrun.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [DoronG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DoronG wrote:
Montreal Olympics 76 - Frank Shorter came second to east German that later was implicated in state-doping scheme (though not actually caught for this specific race). So this is nothing new, I think its just since Lance it is so much more on everyone's mind.

But this is all just distracting us away from synthetic's normal troll/rant about carbon shoes (or any other technology for that matter).

Those of us in Canada use Ben Johnson's 9:79 at Seoul 1988 when our bs meters went up and that field had Linford Christie and Carl Lewis the 1984 and 1992 Olympic 100m champs also busted at one time or another. If I recall everyone in that field other than Calvin Smith and Robson Da Silva were busted at one time or another. Ben, Desai Williams, Dennis Mitchell, Carl Lewis, Linford Christie all stained with busts of some kind (either above the table or swept under)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't the 1:59 800m time convert to a 2:20 marathon? Looks like she could go a bit faster in the 800m. If I work backwards from the 2:11.5x, that is more like a 1:50 800m runner if you are to believe any of these calculators (generally I find that once you drop to 1 mile and below, the scaling may be off, but if you enter a 5000m time, you get a solid proxy for marathon or if you enter your marathon you get an excellent proxy for the 5000m (because you already have the durability....often entering the short race time you don't have the durability to hit your calculator predicted marathon time).

Could be she is a very high slow twitch fiber athlete, and does not have enough fast twitch to really get to the absolute front for the 800m
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
synthetic wrote:
So who is buying them immediately?

How long is test and return policy? šŸ˜€

26.1 miles

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
Things that suck in sports right now.

People compare to old technology, courses and performance vs different variables.

If one your favourites has an excuse it shouldnā€™t count as a lose but if their competitors does that win counts.

We are more impressed with a time split on an easier course ( shorter course) than a win over better competition on a hard course.

yes and no - i mean, she presumably also had supershoes for her previous marathon attempts.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her first marathon she did injured. second marathon 2:15 was in super shoes. I guess kipchoge getting more press since he has been known to be clean, while we need to await results for her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

I guess the question is, how much do people know about that shoes design before we dive into the 'other area'. We're at the very start of super shoe development, not at the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [ohanapecosh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like the previous poster said, this is on par with Kipchoge's achievement. He has been lauded non-stop by the newspapers. Where is the coverage of this athlete? As is my habit, I read through several newspapers this morning before moving on to Letsrun - and I didn't even know this had happened before reading Letsrun.

I agree - an anecdotal scan of my own Social Media feeds and there is more talk of Kichoge's 5x Wins than Aseefa's World Record! Not sure if that is because of a still existing bias in the media for Men's Sports Stories or wise Sports Media Editors and others, being somewhat skeptical of it all!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

I agree - an anecdotal scan of my own Social Media feeds and there is more talk of Kichoge's 5x Wins than Aseefa's World Record! Not sure if that is because of a still existing bias in the media for Men's Sports Stories or wise Sports Media Editors and others, being somewhat skeptical of it all!

I think the media and fans of athletics are being very skeptical about this result. The Ethiopians have been popped recently for doping violations (as recently as June of this year) which casts even more shade on Assefa's achievement yesterday in Berlin. As a fan of the sport I just could not get excited about this yesterday because it just seems way too fantastic. Usually where there is smoke there is fire and there is plenty of smoke in an Ethiopian completely destroying the world record like Assefa did yesterday. Sorry, I don't buy it.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think ~2:12 aligns more with 14:00/29:00, which is where women are getting to at 5k/10k now. The women's marathon record has seen a lot of progression lately & it's needed it to keep up with the improvements at half marathon & below. Was just a matter of time. Now throw in a new pair of super shoes & anyone's guess on supplements & it's not that surprising. You see plenty of men run a similar marathon time off of ~14min 5k. This checks out to me on paper.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:

I think the media and fans of athletics are being very skeptical about this result. The Ethiopians have been popped recently for doping violations (as recently as June of this year) which casts even more shade on Assefa's achievement yesterday in Berlin. As a fan of the sport I just could not get excited about this yesterday because it just seems way too fantastic. Usually where there is smoke there is fire and there is plenty of smoke in an Ethiopian completely destroying the world record like Assefa did yesterday. Sorry, I don't buy it.

This one will never get old:

ā€œThe last thing Iā€™ll say for the people that donā€™t believe in [running], the cynics and the sceptics, Iā€™m sorry for you. Iā€™m sorry you canā€™t dream big and Iā€™m sorry you donā€™t believe in miracles...ā€
-Lance ā€œLanceā€ Armstrong

Quote Reply
Re: Women's marathon WR, 2:11..$500 shoes [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
I think ~2:12 aligns more with 14:00/29:00, which is where women are getting to at 5k/10k now. The women's marathon record has seen a lot of progression lately & it's needed it to keep up with the improvements at half marathon & below. Was just a matter of time. Now throw in a new pair of super shoes & anyone's guess on supplements & it's not that surprising. You see plenty of men run a similar marathon time off of ~14min 5k. This checks out to me on paper.

Nope. If it followed that trajectory (women starting to get close to 14:00/29:00) you should have seen a few women hitting the range between sub 2:14 and 2:12 and you just haven't. It just magically jumped to 2:11:54. I don't buy it.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next