Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Winter Project. Cervelo P2 Paint Removal. Removal thoughts needed.
Quote | Reply
EDIT: I am going to strip the Cervelo P2C down to bare carbon but do not want to spend hours upon hours doing this. Is there alternatives to stripping a carbon frame other than sanding and/or scraping it with a razor blade an than sanding.

Just purchased an older Cervelo P2 and wanted to know if anyone has stripped a P2 frame. I will most likely use the razor blade removal system which seems to be the best option from what I have read in several forums. Just wanted to know if anyone has done a P2 and how long roughly it has taken to remove the paint using this method.

Also curious to others who have stripped a Cervelo how much filler they encountered when stripping the frame down. I know on my SLC there was a fair bit around the tube joints so that was the reason that I left the main part of the tubes exposed but painted the joint. Not sure if I will do the same on this frame or go completely nude.
Last edited by: BMANX: Nov 3, 14 14:28
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Project. Cervelo P2 Paint Removal [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now you got me curious, what is the razor blade removal system? If it is what it sounds like, how do you prevent cutting into the carbon composite with the blade?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Project. Cervelo P2 Paint Removal [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that several people on different forums have done it this way. I have normally sanded down my carbon parts like my cranks, bars and other carbon bits but the removal area was much smaller.

With the razor blade method you drag the razor blade across the paint gently.

Razor blade

_____/__________ -----> direction of the razor blade the tube
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Project. Cervelo P2 Paint Removal [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is just to remove the bulk of the paint until you can just see the carbon at which time I will be hand sanding with wet/dry 400 then 1000 to give it a very smooth finish before doing clearcoat and most likely will try to match it up as close to my SLC as possible. I will also be doing the top tube entry behind the stem like the SLC as well.

On the SLC all of the paint was removed as much as possible on the main tubes and only the joints were painted. The rear triangle was painted as well.

Last edited by: BMANX: Sep 8, 14 10:28
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Project. Cervelo P2 Paint Removal. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know of any chemical strippers instead of doing it with a razor and/or sandpaper. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Project. Cervelo P2 Paint Removal. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey,

I used Carbolift on my CR1. It is the only chemical stripper I'm aware of that's safe for composites. It was mediocre at removing clear/paint. Still required sanding... CR1 was full of filler, looked like crap naked.

If you wanted the naked carbon look it might be easier just to do a rough sanding and then wrap a "beauty" layer of carbon over everything... or just paint it black :)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Project. Cervelo P2 Paint Removal. [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That might be an option as well. I would love to have it naked but maybe black is the way to go as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanding is the only viable way to ensure you don't harm the carbon or compromise the frame. We do not use any chemicals or solvents that could potentially harm a carbon frame or the resins. It's a time consuming process, but it makes or breaks a paint job. A paint job is only as good as its foundation. As you've experienced sanding your smaller parts, it takes awhile. Unless you're absolutely in love with the weave you've uncovered thus far and think it's worth showing off, I'd paint it black. Think of all the hours you'll save and be able to ride instead!

In regards to CarboLift, we tried to get our hands on some, but had no success. I believe they were bought out/management change. I had their supplier reach out to me and I've been sent a sample of the product. We have not tried it yet, but plan to soon. However, we will not be using it on customer frames anytime soon. Right now only R&D frames will be bestowed this honor.

---------------------------------------------------
Oregon Ducks Custom Painted Jack Kane: http://kanebikes.com/...l-bike-galleries/787
http://www.kanebikes.com/ || Road & Triathlon Bicycles. Custom Painting. Carbon Repair. Restoration. HQ'd in North Carolina
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Project. Cervelo P2 Paint Removal. Removal thoughts needed. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think what you're going to find underneath is a frame that looks like total crap without any paint...... likely lots of filler areas and mis-matched carbon layup looks. Since Cervelo is going to paint it anyway at the factory there's no need to make it look good out of the mold.

I stripped down an old P2 but just did it with sandpaper, I simply went down until it barely touched carbon, then had it painted up. If you're going to paint then the sanding job doesn't have to be that great, just enough to get off the logos and smooth out

But if you try to get it nude to clearcoat, I think unfortunately you're going to be super frustrated with all the work involved, and then really dissapointed when you have to paint it anyway :-/
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Project. Cervelo P2 Paint Removal. Removal thoughts needed. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find a boat builder/painter. They have resin friendly paint removal products
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paint will make it a winter project, naked weave will be much longer most likely ;) But it would be sweet.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Project. Cervelo P2 Paint Removal. [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right now I am thinking nude tubes and painted joints. Like I did with my SLC. Just the white CERVELO decal on the down tube only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbo lift is used in the motorcycle industry for this. Google it. Better than sanding.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Project. Cervelo P2 Paint Removal. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have decided that I am going to match this up exactly like I did with my SLC and the main tubes will be nude with the joints painted black and fading into the nude tubes. I will had a decal like on the SLC as well.

I am going to have the shifter cable entry points filled in and the paint will just go to that point.

I would love to do nude but the amount of work that is needed to strip the complete bike is just too much. Stripping the main tubes will be easier and matches up to the SLC.

EDIT - I would also love to remove the FD hanger and run this as an 1 X 10 build with a 48t front aero ring and an 11/28 rear. I just do not like the idea of permanently removing the FD hanger.
Last edited by: BMANX: Nov 4, 14 9:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a bike done in a batch job with a local manufacturer who makes lawn furniture. He called me when he was doing a batch of Black parts and I paid him $70 to sand blast, prime, and paint the bike with a double clear coat. Maybe look in your area for a similar manufacturer? Or even call an autobody shop and have them do the same?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Project. Cervelo P2 Paint Removal. Removal thoughts needed. [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dad builds hotrods and has a painter that does a ton of custom work and he also does a lot of other high end jobs. He just did a carbon hood for a car last week so I am getting him to do the painting for me and for cash. So it will be cheap. Just have to sort out how much of the frame I want nude and how much I want painted now. Also going to fill in the holes on the down tube for the shifter cables as I have moved them to the TT now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be good to my baby! Do it right.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Project. Cervelo P2 Paint Removal. Removal thoughts needed. [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always do it right! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NO TURNING BACK NOW!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ordered the white decal for the downtube. Should be here in a couple of weeks giving me a lot of time to scrape and sand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures please!

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Project. Cervelo P2 Paint Removal. Removal thoughts needed. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/img][/img][/img][/img]
Last edited by: BMANX: Nov 8, 14 17:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the hell was I thinking and damn I hope this turns out as good as I think it will in my head.

Also I am so glad that my dad who offered to do most of the sanding for me has no idea how much time this is actually going to take.[/img]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a hell of a job.
My vote would be for some combination of matt black with gloss black Cervelo decals, kind of like an ENVE wheelset. I know the stealth black thing has been done to death but it still looks classy to ky unfashionable eye.
Happy sanding.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Winter Project. Cervelo P2 Paint Removal. Removal thoughts needed. [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More like happy scraping. I will leave the sanding for my father. He needs to fill in his time between working on the hotrod, staying out of my mom's hair and being retired. lol.

Already ordered the white decal so it will match up with the SLC with the only missing item being the 3T on the forks. Just straight up black forks this time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next