Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wilma can blow me!
Quote | Reply
It's looking more and more like we may be dealing with a wanton harlot by the name of Wilma at the GFT this weekend. Don't forget your galloshes!
Quote Reply
Re: Wilma can blow me! [SinkCrashBonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"That bitch - that slut - that whore!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not looking good

http://www.bbc.co.uk/...ather_warning.jpg?18

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Last edited by: Jim: Oct 18, 05 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wilma can blow me!
Pictures?!? Q:^P

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Wilma can blow me! [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
image was blocked but it let me link it.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm not very happy about this.
Quote Reply
Re: Wilma can blow me! [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your not an Ironman if you can't do it in the middle of a hurricane...bring it on baby (Wilma)!

FWIW...I will do the entire GFT course on Saturday if the event happens or not..feel free to join me other ST'ers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn Wilma -- Fred never could keep her in line.....

Quote Reply
Re: Wilma can blow me! [trijs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks to be heading straight for me in Naples. Over the past 2 years Naples has probably been the one of the luckiest city in Florida related to the Hurricanes. (knock on wood)
Quote Reply
Re: Wilma can blow me! [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not a pretty sight, disc might be a mistake this year.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Your not an Ironman if you can't do it in the middle of a hurricane...bring it on baby (Wilma)!

Kevin et al, Thank you Kevin for saying what I am thinking. Too many so called triathletes are really glorified runners who like to swim and ride a bike on a nice warm day. Any hint of rain or temps under 78 degrees and they stay on the porch. WTF?

I am so sick of people who claim to be "hardcore" freak at the possibility of having to deal with inclimate weather. Gee, I bet if you qualified for Kona, you would want someone to do something about the heat coming off the lava rocks.

I am not saying to be stupid, but people, right now, for most of us, IF wilma botheres us at all, it will be later Saturday night (based on current forecasts, of which there are many). Yes, the sunday brunch may be rained on, but we are indoors for that, so who cares.

What do I expect right now based on the current forecasts, great shooting weather (overcast/cloudy skies), possibility of rain, and some higher then normal winds. Plan accordingly.

See you somewhere starting after Wen.'s reception.

disclaimer: CFT/SommerSports is a client of my company, Lepow Photo, but I speak for myself only and in no way do the above words speak for anyone else but myself.

=========
Mark E. Lepow
Owner, Lepow Photo, lepowphoto.com
"Quality at a Reasonable Price"
Winter Garden, Fl.
Quote Reply
Re: Wilma can blow me! [LepowPhoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][.reply]Your not an Ironman if you can't do it in the middle of a hurricane...bring it on baby (Wilma)! [reply]

Kevin et al, Thank you Kevin for saying what I am thinking. Too many so called triathletes are really glorified runners who like to swim and ride a bike on a nice warm day. Any hint of rain or temps under 78 degrees and they stay on the porch. WTF?[/reply]

WIIIIIILLLLLLLMAAAAAAAAAAAA! Damn straight. Unless it's totally cancelled and they have cops out chasing us off the roads (like a mandatory evacuation or curfew or something) I'll be out there. :) I am however thinking hard about not riding a disc rear. I've ridden it in 30+mph winds before for 70+ miles, but not 50+ gusty winds. It might be a little hard to handle. Problem is, the only other rear wheel I have is the Mavic Open Pro...which sucks bad in crosswinds.

At lunch I am buying some more waterproofing stuff to make sure my jackets are mostly waterproof.

Of course, if the race is postponed for a week or two then I'm not going to destroy my conditioning and then do the real race in 16 hours limping.

Edit: added links to current pages and models:
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200524_model.html
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT24/refresh/AL2405W5+gif/150811W_sm.gif

Mad
Last edited by: triguy42: Oct 18, 05 9:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Kevin et al, Thank you Kevin for saying what I am thinking. Too many so called triathletes are really glorified runners who like to swim and ride a bike on a nice warm day. Any hint of rain or temps under 78 degrees and they stay on the porch. WTF?

I am so sick of people who claim to be "hardcore" freak at the possibility of having to deal with inclimate weather.

The 2nd sprint this summer in Clermont, with whatever-hurricane-that-was going by in the Gulf, was the most fun I've had. Nice cool weather and you could ride straight with the bike tilted at a 20 degree angle! How cool is that?

If it rains, I'm gonna ride the road bike with a rack on the back. Maybe put a six pack in there.

Kendall Frederick

Orange Park, FL
Quote Reply
Re: Wilma can blow me! [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't want to do 140.6 unsupported (especially since I can't read a map and follow directions), but there are a number of reasons why I would be happy racing in "tough" conditions:

1. Success will depend more heavily on mental toughness. Since I have no athletic advantages, I may be able to gain ground here;

2. I'm not sure about everyone else, but in tough conditions, I would probably toss my time goals out the window and race more conservatively, which would probably result in a better overall time;

3. Clouds block the sun, rain keeps you cool and hydrated and wind also keeps you cool. Shit, if it's gonna be high 80s, rain and wind might be OK.

I'm more pissed about the prospect of 3 days at Disney in the rain...

See you there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How bad can a shallow pond with no visibility get? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Wilma can blow me! [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard that the gators go nuts and start chomping on and killing everything in sight whenever there's a hurricane. Sort of like the wherewovles at full moon...

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Wilma can blow me! [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't bother with anything waterproof. What's the point? It'll still be 80 degrees. That's the great thing about Florida, it can be blowing and pissing down and it's still 80 freakin' degrees. I love that! Enjoy the conditions, it'll be more of an adventure than usual.

Cheers

Barry
Quote Reply
Re: Wilma can blow me! [bglading] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/url]

Jim

Quote Reply
Re: Wilma can blow me! [bglading] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Don't bother with anything waterproof. What's the point? It'll still be 80 degrees. That's the great thing about Florida, it can be blowing and pissing down and it's still 80 freakin' degrees.[/reply]

Riding in the torrential downpours isn't so nice even if the ambient temp is 80. The raindrops that hit you are waaaay colder. I pretty much agree on the run part, when you aren't dealing with 20+ mph forced convection. But after being caught in several downpours so bad I could hardly see the road, I think a waterproof jacket might be nice.

Trying to decide if I need a different rear wheel for the race... I have a Renn disc and a Mavic Open Pro rear. I'll be riding either the Spinergy Tilium or Velocity Spartacus front...likely the Spinergy since it is comfy at 30mph winds. Ya'll think I should consider something like this:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=131&subcategory=1199&brand=&sku=8751&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
If I order by tomorrow afternoon it'll be here Friday. Right now we have a 30-50% chance of sustained tropical force winds...the higher chance is later in the day.

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Wilma can blow me! [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like they are getting warmed up. POSTED: 8:54 am EDT October 18, 2005

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A Gainesville family says an alligator took a bite out of their lunch.

Not weird enough?
Read more strange news
LOOK! Strange News Photos
Two women say they were picnicking by Lake Alice on the University of Florida campus with their children when the gator splashed out of the water and took off with their lunch. They were having spicy chicken.

Garrett Bell says after grabbing the chicken, the gator went back in the water with it and then came back out for more.

Bell adds that the gator was six to eight feet long.

Signs at Lake Alice state that it's unlawful to feed alligators. But Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officials say feeding alligators is a problem statewide. They say it makes alligators associate food with humans resulting in dangerous encounters.
Quote Reply
Re: Wilma can blow me! [trijs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YAAAAAA BABY!!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be fair, the first couple of times you go racing when there's a hurricane warning up can be a bit disconcerting. Takes a race or two for the idea that a feeder band or eight really isn't that big of a deal to sink in, and that a non-tropical stalled front rainstorm can actually be way worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure there are fair weather athletes out there, but some race organizers can also be accused of being too conservative. I don't pretend to know how to put on a race in adverse weather, but there were some cancellations and last-minute course changes this year (that I know of) that smelled funny in my opinion.

All this jitter just makes me want to knock on KJGrog's door and say: "Wanna race?!?!" Except he would kick my butt so bad I would never do it in the first place. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Wilma can blow me! [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if Sommer Sports would consider starting BottomFeeder and I five minute before everyone else this weekend kind of like what they did at Vineman with DeBoom and Reid?

Reid and DeBoom get along though I believe...and don't have the utter bitterness and hatred that BottomFeeder and I have for eachother.
Quote Reply

Prev Next