Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wide Brake Track on Flo Wheels
Quote | Reply

I received my Flo 60/90s!
When I put on the front, the brake could not open wide enough to allow the wheel to spin without dragging. I could just get it centered and it would be fine, but any nudge and it would be touching again. Once I get new brake pads, there would be no chance.
I removed the concave spacer that sits between the brake arm and the pad holder and put it on the other side of the holder, with the concave side facing out:

That gave me about 2mm per side and it fits perfectly.

Is this fine? My concern is that the concave washer/spacer seats the flat brake arm flush with the rounded pad holder and now I do not have that assurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Wide Brake Track on Flo Wheels [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of people do this. And you shouldn't brake that much anyways! Just slows you down!
Quote Reply
Re: Wide Brake Track on Flo Wheels [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its not the braking, but the breaking that concerns me, haha.
Thank you for the reassurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are like some who don't throw stuff away you could try fitting part worn brake pads
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
I received my Flo 60/90s!
When I put on the front, the brake could not open wide enough to allow the wheel to spin without dragging. I could just get it centered and it would be fine, but any nudge and it would be touching again. Once I get new brake pads, there would be no chance.
I removed the concave spacer that sits between the brake arm and the pad holder and put it on the other side of the holder, with the concave side facing out:

That gave me about 2mm per side and it fits perfectly.

Is this fine? My concern is that the concave washer/spacer seats the flat brake arm flush with the rounded pad holder and now I do not have that assurance.

As long as the brake pad is securely/properly held in place and you have adequate brake pad contact to stop, you should be fine. I just built a new Cannondale Slice RS and had to remove several spacers to make my brakes fit as well.

I'll mention that if you are at all unsure if the brake pads are securely/properly held in place, then you should run the bike into a shop to have a professional take a quick look.

I hope that helps,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Wide Brake Track on Flo Wheels [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chris!
The wheels rock!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Thanks Chris!
The wheels rock!

You are very welcome. I'm glad to hear you are happy with the wheels!

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply