Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why would you buy a second hand helmet..
Quote | Reply
when it doesn't get covered under warranty?
(Kind of sick to be thinking about the worst-case scenario)
Quote Reply
Re: Why would you buy a second hand helmet.. [Efrem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
when it doesn't get covered under warranty?
(Kind of sick to be thinking about the worst-case scenario)
Ummmmm, I wouldn't.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no idea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because most people don't care if it's covered under warranty.

Is it fast? Yes, then buy. Otherwise, back to the drawing board.
If I crash it, I say "thank you for saving my life", hang it up on the wall, and then get another one.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I knew the original owner, sure. From e-bay or a stranger, no.
Quote Reply
Re: Why would you buy a second hand helmet.. [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shelf life of any helmet is only a couple of years. Also, a helmet can appear to be perfectly normal even though it has been crashed. You should avoid any second-hand helmet unless you know its history.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first started triathlon I bought one off Ebay because I wanted a cool looking Gyro but didn't want to fork over the dough.....but now that I think about it that is a little crazy.

Guess that is one more thing to add to the list of purchases before the 07 season starts. Darn.

Jerry: What you're suggesting is illegal.
Kramer: It's not illegal!
Jerry: It's against the law.
Kramer: Well, yeah.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you buy a used one when you can get a new one for cheap? I paid under $30 for this on PerformanceBike.com like 18 months ago:
It may not be the coolest, but I don't care about that.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My original thought was that I would. But when you consider all the potential dried up sweat/grunge in the pads and straps and then putting those same straps on your face and under your chin.... maybe not. I would buy Emilio's however since he sterilizes his after every ride :-).

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
price.. I bought a 2nd hand LG Prologue for cheap, to try it out and see if it worked for me. It did, so I'll buy new next time. Or maybe a 2nd hand Syton to see what happens..
Also I got it on the classifieds here, if you can't trust a slowtwitcher who can you trust ?
Wouldn't buy an ordinary helmet for JRA, can always get cheap ones on sale, but aero is another matter.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
because buying a used god helmet like a sweep or pneumo is much better than a departent store new one for the same price.

as long as my head stays intact who cares about warranty.

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why would you buy a second hand helmet.. [slow triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
because buying a used god helmet...

The term God Helmet refers to a controversial experimental apparatus in neurotheology. The apparatus, placed on the heads of experimental subjects, stimulated their brains with magnetic forces. Some subjects reported experiences similar to spiritual experiences. I'd probably go with a new one...

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why would you buy a second hand helmet.. [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
perhaps I should have invested in typing lessons or the lessons in how to urge myself to check my statements before hitting submit on a forum.

by the way this was my investment....I think you'll agree it was wise.

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why would you buy a second hand helmet.. [slow triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right... That was a good investment. Makes me think that mine wasn't such a good deal...

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of years ago I picked up a 2nd hand LG prologue that I used for racing. Last season I picked up a Rocket and let a friend of mine use the Prologue for his racing. So in 3 seasons, 3 riders and a total of ~20 total rides.

I had no problems with using a 2nd hand helmet. It was faster than my training helmet and I think that it would have protected me in the event of a crash whether the warranty was valid or not. The context of using a 2nd hand aero helmet that is in good shape and only gets used occasionally is very different from a well worn "training helmet". This scenario is probably going to become fairly common as riders upgrade to the newer helmets each year discard their old helmets (that have only been used a handful of times) to those looking to be frugal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought i'd chip in. I think the incidence of warranty issues is pretty low for helmets in general, because the manufacturing process is fairly simple, so lack of warranty is not an issue for me if i'm considering a second-hand helmet.

As for hygiene, some brands offer padding kits. One example is Selev. So if you want you can always swap out the padding for new pads.

Second-hand stuff is usually a lot cheaper than the brand new stuff so if someone is budget conscious, especially with the high pricing of aero helmets out there, second-hand is probably a good way to go.
Quote Reply