Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why there's no Elite marathoners using Newton ?.
Quote | Reply
I was at Chicago marathon and in Newton's boot guy comvinced me to buy / try.
I have 60 days to return.
I didn't try yet, but I'm quite excited to try it in the next few days.
Saw many top triathletes (Crowie is the best example) says good things about it, but I didn't see any elite marathoner saying good or bad about Newton
Just a question of marketing for their target people??
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Why there's no Elite marathoners using Newton ?. [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not enough money to pay top level pros. In Tri, most of the top level guys have multiple sponsorships, but most pro runners just have one big one, which costs a fair bit more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first - u have the shoes -why don't you try and make your own mind, everyone is dfifferent. But please read the small print and don't go for 16miler in your new shoes as you can kill your calves...

secondly - with athletes sponsorship is a big factor

thirdly - have you seen how much newton cost vs other running shoes

and lastly i think tri scene has been proven as very willing to try to adapt to new fads much quicker; its a smaller community of early adopters - markters wet dream
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTRIB wrote:
Saw many top triathletes (Crowie is the best example) says good things about it, but I didn't see any elite marathoner saying good or bad about Newton
Thanks

i have no factual information to back this up, but i'd guess that's right. they all have sponsorships from other companies - adidas, asics, etc. i bet if newton made them a good enough offer, they'd take it.
Quote Reply
Re: Why there's no Elite marathoners using Newton ?. [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fad?? Natural running/Chi running is hardly a fad. It's just becoming mainstream as exercise, running, triathlons become more popular in the US.

It's more of people having an awareness and knowledge than a fad. It's not like anyone is going to learn to run correctly and decide 2 years from now to give it up because it's "played out" or whatever happens to a fad.
Quote Reply
Re: Why there's no Elite marathoners using Newton ?. [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1 wrote:
Fad?? Natural running/Chi running is hardly a fad. It's just becoming mainstream as exercise, running, triathlons become more popular in the US.

It's more of people having an awareness and knowledge than a fad. It's not like anyone is going to learn to run correctly and decide 2 years from now to give it up because it's "played out" or whatever happens to a fad.

so all the people who are not running in newtons are running wrong and have not figured out how to run correctly? I wonder how fast the Kenyons would be if they became enlightened?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for most people, newtons shoes dont work for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Why there's no Elite marathoners using Newton ?. [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can run "correctly" as you put it in any shoe, not necessarily newtons;

however my argument here wasn't derogatory - I mean triathletes as such are much more prone to be happy to try something totally new - like newton or now on running - as a group tri people are early adopters

and as mentioned before everyone is different, i tried newtons and they didn't work for me although i am forefoot striker - but have training partners who fly in them. Each to their own.
Quote Reply
Re: Why there's no Elite marathoners using Newton ?. [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started using Newtons this spring and it took awhile to adopt to the running style and to get the legs used to that running style but after that initial building into the shoes, I was and am hooked. I'm a big believer in the shoe. He is a report and granted it may need to be taken with a grain of salt but come up with your own conclusion.

http://newtonrunning.com/...ce/shoe-test-results

- Jake
------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Why there's no Elite marathoners using Newton ?. [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did I say everyone had to wear Newton's? I think I said "natural running/Chi running" isn't a fad didn't I? There are plenty of people who run this way without Newton's.

My point is that Natural running and the awareness of it isn't going away. It will only get more popular keeping Newton shoes in demand as they help introduce runners to natural running.
Last edited by: SpeedRacer1: Oct 11, 11 19:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1 wrote:
keeping Newton shoes in demand as they help introduce runners to natural running.
Holy. Shit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
because newtons are a fad, so all of a sudden this shoe company comes out they the others dont know about? its hilarious to me, how most triathletes will buy into all the geeky gear..its not rocket science with getting faster :) ...has def pushed me away from the sport the last few years...

j
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTRIB wrote:
Thanks

You forgot the pink font. You're joking, right?

Steve

http://www.PeaksCoachingGroup.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newton's light weight racer is around 8.5 ounces. Most elite runners are in shoes that come in around 6-7 ounces for a marathon flat. They don't need to lugs. They already have great form. That's why they're elites. Triathletes are generally crappy runners.

Now that I think about it... now that Crowie got a proper aero bike, maybe next year he'll drop Newton as a sponsor and put on a proper pair of racing flats and go 2:39!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Please spellcheck. Sorry, but I'm an equal-opportunity critic when it comes to posts constructed as poorly as yours.
2. As others have said, you should definitely formulate your own opinion about the shoes, as opposed to relying on the opinions of others. You have 60 days to evaluate the shoes...use them.
3. One of the reasons African marathoners don't use Newtons is that it is illogical to put on a shoe that weighs something like 2-3 times as much as their current racing flats. Their run technique is brilliant in spite of, not because of the shoes they wear, and they don't need a shoe that weighs 10oz to accomplish what they could already do in a 4oz shoe. One of my professors, a pro marathoner himself, says that until he got sponsored he was just going out and buying the simplest cushioning shoe he could find for training. Once he got sponsored, the only difference was that someone was buying those shoes for him...When your run technique is as efficient as the top marathoners', a more "complicated" shoe would probably be worse, not better.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Why there's no Elite marathoners using Newton ?. [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Ref to your stupid comment, as long as I know, ST is open to overseas users. English is not my 1st language and Im doing my best to write/comment in this forum. If you are not happy with my english, I can write in portuguese, spanish, italian or french...languages that Im fluent. But I dont give a s**itvin what you think about my spelling.
Probably you need to train less and spend more time with you wife/girldfriend.
Relax man, Have more fun man and train safety!!
Last edited by: MTRIB: Oct 11, 11 21:09
Quote Reply
Re: Why there's no Elite marathoners using Newton ?. [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
newton's light weight racer is around 8.5 ounces. Most elite runners are in shoes that come in around 6-7 ounces for a marathon flat. They don't need to lugs. They already have great form. That's why they're elites. Triathletes are generally crappy runners.

Now that I think about it... now that Crowie got a proper aero bike, maybe next year he'll drop Newton as a sponsor and put on a proper pair of racing flats and go 2:39!

This might be difficult to do considering he signed a lifetime contract with Newton......
Quote Reply
Re: Why there's no Elite marathoners using Newton ?. [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, you have it backwards. They have a racing flat that is 5.8 onces.

http://www.newtonrunning.com/...shoes/men-racers/mv2
Quote Reply
Re: Why there's no Elite marathoners using Newton ?. [txtri90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
txtri90 wrote:
denali2001 wrote:

This might be difficult to do considering he signed a lifetime contract with Newton......

Funny...

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Why there's no Elite marathoners using Newton ?. [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Credit to TRICLOPICUS for the contribution from the meme thread...

Now with that out of the way...Newton's are a love/hate game. You either buy wholesale into their shoe design, or you don't. I tried it; doesn't work for me. Puts me a little too far forward, and the ride's too unforgiving out back. But if the shoe matches your technique, then great.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A decent percentage of triathletes will buy anything that claims to make running easier without having to run more, regardless of the cost. Despite not showing any improvement, they will then generally argue strongly that the product makes them faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on your definition of elite, but my kid's x-country coach was a NCAA all American and just qualified for the Olympic trials marathon. He runs in Newtons

(He offers the kids a deal, but doesn't push the shoes on them..I think 1-2 are running in the Newtons as well)

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look at the top marathoners sponsored by Nike, Adidas, and Asics - they all race in shoes with < 5mm drop (Nike Streak 3's, Adidas Rockets, Asics Piranha's). Basically the same foot strike pattern without the raised pods. I don't know if the raised pods are really necessary - I tried on the zero drop Altra's and liked them. They're essentially doing the same thing without the raised forefoot pods.
Quote Reply
Re: Why there's no Elite marathoners using Newton ?. [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To your point on drop, not so fast: Streaks are 10 mm, Piranhas are 5, Rockets are 6.

There's also the Hasegawa study showing that the majority of elites rearfoot strike...but that's probably throwing some gasoline in this thread.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll say it's a fad. Everyone locally who "preached" barefoot running/chi/natural/pose/etc all now go towards "Minimalist" running. They've all redefined Pose/Chi as a method of running.

You know what they all say now? Pretty much what rroof, barryp and the other "running" guru's on here say. Keep the barefoot to striders on the grass. If you can do minimalist shoes do it, but not everyone can use them (I'm one of them). You do NOT need newtons to learn how to run properly.

There's also a common misconception (sorry CJAthey) that "heel striking" involves the heel touching the ground at all...period. I've only heard that from barefoot/chi/natural/post/newton guys. I've never heard that from a running coach.

I ran in the Brooks Ghost (poor man newtons) and liked them, but didn't see the need for lugs. I got 2nd at a local 5k where 10+ guys (all triathletes) showed up in a full race kit and newtons. Their form was awful and they all got chicked many times. Maybe if they ran in supportive shoes, they would have gotten 2nd place like me.

ErgDB Erg & PowerAgent workout generator | My blog - special thanks to Kiwami
Quote Reply

Prev Next