Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why some of you hate Steve Larsen
Quote | Reply
Pro road cyclist, raced in Europe.

Pro mountian bike racer, several championship titles.

Pro triathlete, Ironman winner.

I only wish others could/would recognize the magnitude of the committment, dedication and sacrifice it takes to achieve such a degree of success in such a short period in each sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Why some of you hate Steve Larsen [trianimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pro Pro Pro...AG spot at Kona....LOL

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Why some of you hate Steve Larsen [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lighten up! Maybe since Iv'e come to the realization that I'll never be pro cyclist in any discipline, It's easier for me to accept it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great point, that being the case I presume you race, I would also presume that you dont race Cat 5 - so, if you race say - Cat 2...you going to go get into a C5 race? I doubt it...

Quote Reply
Re: Why some of you hate Steve Larsen [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been a competitive AGer since 1988, that said I respect the pros, elites, physically challanged and regular guys all the same. I did the Gulf Coast one year and saw a guy who was legally blind in one eye race in the physically challanged class, winning by a large margin. There are also AGers who will do anything (cheat) to get a Kona slot in order to recognize a lifetime dream of racing in Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And we think less of those who do cheat...or just skirt the rules...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
man, your post was interesting, it looked a lot like logic at first, but in the end, it was way off base. Each post isnt even on the same topic, first its that people are jealous of him cuz hes successful, then you talk about a guy with one eye; im guessign you have ADD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. Don't hate him for any of the reasons you listed.

I only wish you could/would recognize the lack of committment, dedication and sacrifice it takes to achieve such an uninspiring level of success as that of a former pro entering and winning a race as an AG'er in order to get a Kona slot.
Quote Reply
Re: Why some of you hate Steve Larsen [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of you Steve Larsen haters are missing the point. Steve is going to start with the age groupers 15 minutes after the pros go off. However, he is going to finish the race with the fastest time...which might be after the first pro crosses the line.....but Steve will still have the fastest overall time.

Whining about SL racing as an age grouper is like whining about a well known actor coming to your town to do community theater. No one really gives shit if he's stealing a gig from the local talent, because it's cool to have him there in the first place.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Why some of you hate Steve Larsen [Quadius Maximus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No silly, I don't have...you better not or I'll have to...what?
Quote Reply
Re: Why some of you hate Steve Larsen [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Whining about SL racing as an age grouper is like whining about a well known actor coming to your town to do community theater. No one really gives shit if he's stealing a gig from the local talent, because it's cool to have him there in the first place."

I'll bet the guy who loses his part to that well known actor gives a shit. Especially if the play is a once a year show that actors have to generally compete to get parts for.

I don't care if Larsen races in any particular category, but it might help to look at it like this.

When people talk about Annika Sorenstam playing on the men's tour, they generally say that she's trying to move up to a higher difficulty level and should be admired for trying to compete against people better than she is. When a guy tries to play on the ladies Tour, people make fun of him for dropping down a bracket for the easy money.

Does Larsen have every right to compete with the AGers? Sure. However, he has to realize he's going to take all kinds of crap for basically dropping down a bracket to go for the easy "money", in this case a Kona slot. Imagine if Tiger Woods came to the local country club to play for that prize against local pros. Imagine if Michael Jordan tried to go back to college when he was in his prime, because he wanted another shot at the NCAA Championship? Imagine if Steven Hawking showed up with an entry at your kids science fair.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Why some of you hate Steve Larsen [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'll bet the guy who loses his part to that well known actor gives a shit. Especially if the play is a once a year show that actors have to generally compete to get parts for."

It's true, that guy might give a shit, but no one else will care too much.

I have a solution. Steve should gain 75 lbs and race as a clydesdale. Or, the WTC should have a special divison for guys lke Larsen, Molina, Udo Bolts and other former pro triathletes/bikeracers.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So why then isn't he just racing as a pro?
Quote Reply
Re: Why some of you hate Steve Larsen [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose the reason is because he is running a business, has a family and does not make a living as a professional athlete anymore.

What would you say if Ryan Bolton showed up at a local race as an AG'r and snagged a spot,. Should he have to race in Kona as a pro? The dude has been out the scene for awhile but because he had success as a pro (I think he won IMLP once) he always has to race as a pro?

Quote Reply
Re: Why some of you hate Steve Larsen [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to my world.

The 40+ age groups are riddled with ex and retired pros and there's not a thing to be done about it.

Sian Welch, Holly Nybo and a host of other women are tearing it up as AG Masters.

The novelty of racing with the big names wears off real quick........

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the suggestion about opening a new division is a good one. Have AGers, then an Elite category, then the pros. That way there's a step in between average joe struggling to find time to fit in his workouts, and the guy who raced as a pro last year.

Anyways, I'm not in the running for a Kona spot, so this doesn't burn my hide much. Any pro who does this has just gotta understand the kind of feelings this would generate.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"the reason is because he is running a business, has a family and does not make a living as a professional athlete"

Sounds like most of the professional triathletes I know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
All of you Steve Larsen haters are missing the point. Steve is going to start with the age groupers 15 minutes after the pros go off. However, he is going to finish the race with the fastest time...which might be after the first pro crosses the line.....but Steve will still have the fastest overall time.

LOL, :-)

I can almost smell da gunja coming thourgh my computer, MAN. ........"Don't let them fool you
Or even try to school you, Oh! No" :-)

I'm not a SL hater and I don't care if had worn a skirt and took a female AG spot. SL will not have the fastest overall time at Kona. Top 20 maybe. Fastest bike split maybe. Win I don't think so.
Quote Reply
Re: Why some of you hate Steve Larsen [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, my post was the greatest. I provided some deep and thought provoking insight about the Steve Larsen Kona Age Group Slot Snagging Issue and made my Kona prediction at the same time, so don't ask me again!! :-)

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Larson rode a Lotus to the fastest bike split at Kona.
He will always be cool.
Case closed.
Quote Reply