Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why is a rear Hed Disc cheaper than a
Quote | Reply
Hed 3 or a Jet 90?

Can anyone in the know or with experience in the industry break it down to me? While weighing the benefits of each, I found that the disc was cheaper. I always assumed a disc would be more expensive that a carbon faired (sp?) spoke wheel.

fka: bassman

After the swim, I'm a fish outta water.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is a rear Hed Disc cheaper than a [bassman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any disc is faster than a 3spoke or deep dish. That includes a $65. disc cover thrown over your cheapo 32 spoke. Available from wheelbuilder.com

The Campy disc is around 3 K and is no faster.

What does price have to do with it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's just 2 pieces of carbon in a sandwich. The trispokes and multispokes are more complicated.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is a rear Hed Disc cheaper than a [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense. I like sandwiches. Thanks.

fka: bassman

After the swim, I'm a fish outta water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H3 or Jet 90? My choice would be H3

IMHO - An H3C is my weapon of choice 95% of the time. Take a look at the off-axis drag numbers on the HED website, compare the weights & you decide?

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Re: Why is a rear Hed Disc cheaper than a [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be very suprised to find that a Jet wheel is more complicated to make then a Disc. It's a standard 24 spoke aluminum wheel with a piece of carbon attached.

Bassman, a disc is the perfec rear wheel. Theres a reason that 95% of pros ride one. After you compare H3 to Jet 90, check a discs numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is a rear Hed Disc cheaper than a [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ST is so cool. You learn so much here. I didn't know 95% of Pro's ride discs. I'm curious, how do you come up with the percentage?

Cheers,

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Then I guess it's cheaper 'cuz it's faster.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you must be very busy, but I'm keen to hear where you got the 95% from

Cheers,

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Why is a rear Hed Disc cheaper than a [Speedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I generalized. I apoligize for that. I also was unclear in which pros, when I made that statement I meant cyclists.

Then I decided, well I can do a little bit of looking.

From looking at cyclingnews.com and team websites it appears that most teams first and most often ride discs in time trials with the exception of the newly created Slipstreem. Tour of California was probably more the exception than the rule being in the %70 range, though this was said to be an unusually windy day for their ITT. Most of the [b]major tours[/b] appear to be closer to the %99 mark.

Looking at the world of triathlon, the number is definately lower than %95. Though it's still probably over 60% from what I saw at the draft free race pictures I could find.

Furthermore, my intentions, for the most part, when responding to someones question is to help them be faster (maybe I'll help them be more comfortable if thats their goal, or I might antogonize them if they harass me about details of my posts), for the most part I post with the hopes of increased speeds or increased numbers in the sport meaning more competition and better races. I in no way rely upon a brand or product for my income or daily living. This is not to say your advice is moot, but it should be considered and I would imagine this is why your signature is what it is.

Lets not ignore bassman's finding, the fastest wheel doesn't have to cost the most. Though those who make a living selling wheels often will help you stray from that fact. Usually with the thinking "get this set now and then later on get the disc.".

May I ask you, how is a disc not ideal? This taking into account past recommendations I've seen you give(or hint at) for front wheels. If a person can handle an H3 or even a Stinger/Jet 90 or 60 in front , I imagine a disc would be quite managable in quite possibly all the conditions the prior stated front wheels are.

H3 Wind Angle 0° 5° 10° 15° 20°
Hed 3 CR 187 175 189 173 170

Disc Wind Angle 0° 5° 10° 15° 20°
Std Disc 189 156 102 53 34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I thought it did seem a bit high. Last year I checked out the Pro's at Muskoka & it seemed by the pics on Shot on Site that the percentage was 20% or less. For Provincial, National ITT's that are out & back, I would agree that the majority of riders are using discs. From personal observation, for the 32 or so events I do per year, discs are in the minority.

When I post I try not to make blanket statements. I will mention my personal preferences (i.e. H3C vs. Standard or Super Light, tubular vs. clincher) &/or refer to Canadian sales history (i.e. greater H3 rear sales than disc). If I have made a definitive statement in the past that a H3 is faster for everyone in any conditions than a disc, I apologize.

For me, I don't care what the Pro's use. In my racing I want what's best for me. For example, rotational weight is a big deal to me. In southern Ontario the courses tend to be hilly &/or technical. I would choose a H3 over a disc 95% (There's that number again) of the time. A Standard disc is 1400g. My pair of H3C's is 1476g. If the course was flatish, very few corners & low wind I might consider a disc. Otherwise I'll stick with my H3C's.

Cheers,

Paul
Quote Reply