Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why Measure for Lactic acid?
Quote | Reply
I was reading the following article http://www.medbio.info/...olism_march_2007.htm about work and energy in muscles and it got me to thinking... Why not measure for blood glucose levels instead of lactic acid? If the human body starts to pull energy from bodily fluids when glucose stores are depleted during anaerobic work then why not use blood glucose measurements to determine if the endurance athlete is working aerobically or anaerobically? Wouldn't you then be able to set thresholds based off of blood glycogen depletion instead of LT production?

Ready or not here I come!
Coaching NY's Southern Tier
Swift^3
Quote Reply
Re: Why Measure for Lactic acid? [Givingchase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
glucose, per se, is a energy substrate that can be turned into energy aerobically (pyruvate shunted into the citric acid cycle, yielding 36 ATP) or anaerobically (glut of pyruvate causes a backlog and is temporarily converted into lactose and yielding 2 ATP), thus telling you nothing about performance

the mitochondrial oxidative enzymes that we care so much about all operate downstream of the generation of pyruvate
Quote Reply
Re: Why Measure for Lactic acid? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't a drop in blood glucose be indicative of operating above your aerobic capacity? Maybe this is just easier to "measure" by feel?

Ready or not here I come!
Coaching NY's Southern Tier
Swift^3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Also, note that the article you read has this chart

What does that say about substrates at high intensity?
Last edited by: echappist: Jan 28, 15 9:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least during an incremental exercise test, plasma glucose concentrations actually tend to increase above "threshold", not decrease. IOW, during high intensity exercise glucose rate of appearance exceeds the rate of disappearance, leading to hyperglycemia (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9277388 for additional information).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blood glucose would also be variable by what/when/how much you eat. So any measuring wouldn't be as transferable day to day, as lactate would.
Quote Reply