Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Whooops! Hy-Vee Tri the same day as WTS (ITU) Grand Final
Quote | Reply
Looks like those $100,000 prize purses are not going to be won by anyone named Gomez, Jorgensen, or Mola. I could actually see a Brownlee or two entering since they're not in the mix for the series.

Is this counter-programming by WTC? Seems like most of the Olympic distance athletes will be preoccupied August 30 and 31.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Whooops! Hy-Vee Tri the same day as WTS (ITU) Grand Final [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same prize purse as ITU worlds. Plus the bonus pool goes 35 deep in ITU.

I'd wager we'll see a mixed bag of athletes at hy-vee.
Quote Reply
Re: Whooops! Hy-Vee Tri the same day as WTS (ITU) Grand Final [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not having the ITU athletes present opens up the possibility for a triple crown winner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Looks like those $100,000 prize purses are not going to be won by anyone named Gomez, Jorgensen, or Mola. I could actually see a Brownlee or two entering since they're not in the mix for the series.

Is this counter-programming by WTC? Seems like most of the Olympic distance athletes will be preoccupied August 30 and 31.

Did I miss something. Can pro's like Jorgensen, Brownlee, or Mola just enter Hy-Vee? Don't they have to qualify first? Also what happened to Brownlee last time he raced Hy-Vee?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Whooops! Hy-Vee Tri the same day as WTS (ITU) Grand Final [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also what happened to Brownlee last time he raced Hy-Vee?

____

He was probably still wasted from celebrating his Olympic Gold. Hell he probably raced Hy-Vee with his hanging around his neck as he was DNF'ing (I think he DNF'd didn't he)?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Whooops! Hy-Vee Tri the same day as WTS (ITU) Grand Final [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Timtek wrote:

Did I miss something. Can pro's like Jorgensen, Brownlee, or Mola just enter Hy-Vee? Don't they have to qualify first? Also what happened to Brownlee last time he raced Hy-Vee?

http://5150.com/professional/qualifying/
5150 PR SCORING

• An athlete’s FIVE highest scoring Races will count toward their 5150 PR.

• Athletes may accumulate points from any Races during the Qualifying Year.

• Each athlete must complete and score at least ONE 5150 series event during the Qualifying Year.

• The combination may include up to< TWO of the designated Ironman 70.3 Series events during the Qualifying Year.

• Athletes finishing the 2013 Hy-Vee 5150 U.S. Championship will be awarded points that are retained and carried forward to the 2014 qualifying period and can be included as one of the athlete’s scoring races in the following year’s scoring.

• Scoring points at the 2013 Hy-Vee 5150 US Championship DOES NOT fulfill the requirement that each athlete complete ONE, 5150 series event during the qualifying year.

• Any points scored in the 2013 qualifying period may not carry forward to the following qualifying year.

So I'm gonna say no they can't just enter. And Brownlee was coming off the Olympics and pretty sure he didn't do much training. But point taken.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point Thomas.

I had mistakingly assumed Gomez, Vasilyev, Davison, etc. had gained entry with their sanctioned race results but learned it was actually from 5150 and/or half iron events.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Alistair finished nearly 7 minutes behind Gomez (I had to look it up) in 2012. The Hy-Vee race was five weeks after Alistair won the gold in London.

I explained the scheduling to my friend at dinner tonight and he immediately chuckled and said WTC booked that date to downplay the ITU Grand Final.

iamAERO wrote:
Not having the ITU athletes present opens up the possibility for a triple crown winner

Interesting. Who you got for the Triple Crown? Frodeno?

FYI: the 70.3 WC (and IM Wisconsin incidentally) is exactly one week after the HY-Vee/ITU Grand Final date .

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Good point Thomas.

I had mistakingly assumed Gomez, Vasilyev, Davison, etc. had gained entry with their sanctioned race results but learned it was actually from 5150 and/or half iron events.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Alistair finished nearly 7 minutes behind Gomez (I had to look it up) in 2012. The Hy-Vee race was five weeks after Alistair won the gold in London.

I explained the scheduling to my friend at dinner tonight and he immediately chuckled and said WTC booked that date to downplay the ITU Grand Final.

iamAERO wrote:

Interesting. Who you got for the Triple Crown? Frodeno?

FYI: the 70.3 WC (and IM Wisconsin incidentally) is exactly one week after the HY-Vee/ITU Grand Final date .

Who knows on Alistair. He raced 5 weeks after, I don't think it was the fact that he was that out of the shape, I just don't think Allstair does that well in heat. After all, he always seems to talk about training in the worst of England's weather. As for the WTC, I think that is overthinking it a bit, but who knows. It only leaves 7 days before Ironman World Champs 70.3 so it doesn't give athletes a lot of turnaround. How many triple crown athletes even exist for this? Maybe Gambles, Docherty, Matthews, Frodeno, Potts, and Hoffman. Didn't look and reconcile the list, but it would be hard to look past Frodeno.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:

The Hy-Vee date has been the same the past 3-4 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Whooops! Hy-Vee Tri the same day as WTS (ITU) Grand Final [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a good point. Just as likely the WTS date was moved up to accommodate our wacky Alberta weather. Even a week later, odds of snow probably double.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he's doing the race then I think he'll be liking his chances.
Quote Reply
Re: Whooops! Hy-Vee Tri the same day as WTS (ITU) Grand Final [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alistair Brownlee can be good in heat - he won Madrid a number of times in scorching weather. What he is less good at is flying to a hot humid clime and competing eighteen hours later. I was astonished that the Brownlees only arrived in Yokohama on theThursday (a 12 hour plus flight) before a race at 3 in the morning Saturday their time, and both looked like they were running in treacle. Totally understandable. On the other hand, Gomez jetted into HyVee in 2012 and seemed at home immediately. No idea how he does it but I think that is the real difference. Not sure if AB will be racing Stockholm which idiotically, is only a week before Edmonton which raises the problems of adapting to local conditions for him.
Quote Reply
Re: Whooops! Hy-Vee Tri the same day as WTS (ITU) Grand Final [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
The Hy-Vee date has been the same the past 3-4 years.

Cool. I will take off my tin foil hat now and rescind my conspiracy theory.

Staz wrote:
If he's doing the race then I think he'll be liking his chances.

As Thomas mentioned, he would have had to have raced (WTC) 5150 or 70.3 events to qualify. I don't know whether he did? I would imagine at this point, if he didn't, he wishes he would have.

FeketeBlob wrote:
Not sure if AB will be racing Stockholm which idiotically, is only a week before Edmonton which raises the problems of adapting to local conditions for him.

I didn't realize that was one week prior. That is idiotic. I heard Gwen take a jab at the schedule in an interview but only now realize what she was talking about. I believe she could still win the series with a win at Stockholm without even having to race Edmonton (I'm not positive though). However, I don't think she would skip the Grand Final.

-------------------
Last edited by: Timtek: Jul 22, 14 6:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in 2012, they made an exemption to invite the Olympic medalists to Hy-Vee and there was a bit of a stink about it. In the end, I think most people realized it was for the best. After all, what good is a championship Olympic distance race without the athletes who are theoretically in their 4-year peak form?
Similar to how XTERRA worlds now has a requirement that pros at least do one XTERRA in the year prior, except in an Olympic year. Of course that wouldn't have kept Gomez out because he won it in 2012, but it's a peace offering to the series-loyal pros, but also an acknowledgement that the best of the best should always be allowed.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Whooops! Hy-Vee Tri the same day as WTS (ITU) Grand Final [OkotoksLawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OkotoksLawyer wrote:
This is a good point. Just as likely the WTS date was moved up to accommodate our wacky Alberta weather. Even a week later, odds of snow probably double.

A week later is the Tour of Alberta, which is why the ITU champs are probably not on that weekend.

There's snow in risk in Southern Alberta in September, but that would be extremely rare in Edmonton. September weather might not be the warm conditions though...
Quote Reply