Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who went 1x with Shimano (dura ace / ultegra)
Quote | Reply
Who did this and do you use a chain catcher?
There are several brands offering 1x chainrings for Shimano cranksets to make your 2x a 1x set up.
Like alugear and garbaruk making wide/narrow rings.

We live in pan cake flatter then flat Netherlands and me and a few customers of mine are considering going 1x, but we all use Shimano.
Either Dura Ace or Ultegra and it is nit a clutch rear derailleur.

Roads are pretty good.

I did 1x with Shimano in the ‘90’s when 1x really wasn’t a thing and never had a chain drop.
We are wondering how much need their is for a chain catcher or that the chances of a chain drop are not that great when roads are good, or riding over a pot hole or speed bump or something like that.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Who went 1x with Shimano (dura ace / ultegra) [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have it on my Speed Concept. Have done close to 300 mile training rides and 500+ mile race in 24 hours. No issues ever. I have tried brief rides with the standard OE chainring and have bounced the chain off with that setup I run the NW 1x Aten chainring. I do not see a need for a chain catcher with narrow wide teeth on a 1x ring.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been x1 on both the roadbike and TT bike for 10+ years, both have shimano cranks.... In the past, used a rotor NW chainring, been using Aliexpress Pass Quest NW chainrings for past 3 years or so with no issues..... No chain catcher and no clutched rear derailleur (until recently with force axs RD on the TT, but that wasn't the reason for its purchase..). Drop the chain maybe once every 2 years....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On both my bikes I use 1x setup one with a pyramid and one with alugear both without a chain catcher. (One bike has a clutch but don’t use it). I am living in the same flat country

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last setup was 1x with a 8070rd and a garabuk 1x chainring. No chain catcher. Never dropped a chain once. Clutched RD's are good for a bit of extra security but unnecessary if you have a good NW chainring.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a Shimano rear mech with a clutch if you're on 11 speed - Ultegra RX 805 (di2 and mechanical version).

I've been running shimano 1x for years without a chain catcher and never get a chain drop unless the chain is worn. I ride in the UK where the road surfaces are really bad as well. I have the RX805 di2 derailleur but I never switch the clutch on, it's not really necessary if you have a narrow wide chainring
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 1X, do not use a chain catcher, and have never dropped the chain.
Quote Reply