Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who loves their wetsuit?
Quote | Reply
I know there could be a thousand opinions on this topic, but I am looking for a good full sleeve men's wetsuit(going to be used for an IM) and I need a little direction. Every company seems to think they have the best suit. So I figured the best thing to do is gets some opinions from the good people using slowtwitch!
Quote Reply
Re: Who loves their wetsuit? [bcoker6885] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a sleeveless low-end Xterra. It was decent, but was very delicate. I "upgraded" to a low-end HUUB full sleeve, and it's more excellent, and less delicate. I really dig it. Almost any wetsuit that fits you well is going to be good. You might want to list your budget and goals, and folks might be able to narrow it down for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a De Soto T1. It is the second suit I have owned. My first was a low end entry level Orca.

I love my De Soto. great products and awesome customer service.

The only bad thing is I have been loosing weight and I may need a smaller one by spring if I get down another 10 lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOVE my Zone 3 Aspire.

There are not a lot of people in them in the US because it's a UK brand and has only just started dealing in the US, but that suit is utterly fantastic and in the next few years, I have a feeling they'll gain a large portion of the racing public.
Quote Reply
Re: Who loves their wetsuit? [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:
I have a De Soto T1. It is the second suit I have owned. My first was a low end entry level Orca.

The only bad thing is I have been loosing weight and I may need a smaller one by spring if I get down another 10 lbs.

x2 for the T1. I'm a little long in the torso. One piece suits felt like they were tugging my shoulders.

Paul
Current Top 2:
7 Things Non-cyclists Should Know About Road Cycling
The GORUCK Challenge Ruined My Life
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2 season old HUUB full suit which is just awesome. Fit and build quality are great and never feel like I am "fighting" it. Suppose the best thing I can say is I often forget I have it on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:I have a De Soto T1. It is the second suit I have owned. My first was a low end entry level Orca.

--------------
x2 for the T1. I'm a little long in the torso. One piece suits felt like they were tugging my shoulders.
----------------------
X3
This is very subjective and we all line up with who we think/like best. Let's face it they all make good wetsuits, just different.

For me it's DeSoto. With any wetsuit fit is the most important thing. DeSoto with the two piece design makes it easier to get a good fit.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like my ROKA Maverick Elite wetsuit. Fits me nicely, lets me swim freely, it was a great change from my old Profile Design wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Who loves their wetsuit? [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:

x4 on the De Soto T1.
Last edited by: trifreemc: Oct 16, 14 13:25
Quote Reply
Re: Who loves their wetsuit? [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
Jamie wrote:I have a De Soto T1. It is the second suit I have owned. My first was a low end entry level Orca.

--------------
----------------------
X3
This is very subjective and we all line up with who we think/like best. Let's face it they all make good wetsuits, just different.

For me it's DeSoto. With any wetsuit fit is the most important thing. DeSoto with the two piece design makes it easier to get a good fit.

x4 (and I guess x5) on this. I love my T1 (have full sleeve and vest top) any my wife has the same set up and loves her's also.

I love not having the zipper and its associated chafing if not closed perfectly at my neck and the lack of any constriction when I reach by have the suit in two pieces. The other big difference for me is compared to the one piece suits I had before is the lack of an air pocket in the small of my back. With other suits, there was always the large gap that filled with water when you got in that was a shock in cold water. With the 2 piece I don't have that gap, so there is the general warming up of the cold water, but not one big slug of cold water.

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The brick and mortar stores may have an advantage over on-line retailers. Fit is everything for a wetsuit. Ideally, you should try on several brands. That said, it's a rubber suit, not rocket science.
Quote Reply
Re: Who loves their wetsuit? [Trippertim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone is going to love theirs, I assume. For me, it is my Ocra S1. It fits me really nicely (once I learned how to put it on correctly). This is the only one that I have ever used though, so I dont have much to compare it to. I have been told that it fits me well because I am a runner and have a smaller frame (5'8' 130lbs).
Xterra are probably worth a try as they are really inexpensive, have tons of coupon codes, great customer service, and return policies. Plus I see a ton of them at races, so they are probably doing something right.

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an Aquaman Goldcell which has been a great wetsuit. It isn't cheap but the rubber used is very flexible. It makes it a little less durable but I have been using it since 2008 and it still works in decent shape. I really like that it has a reverse zipper. It zips top down so there is no flexing of he zipper at the neck so no chafing. At least I haven't ever had any. It also does not let much if any water in so good for cold races.
Quote Reply
Re: Who loves their wetsuit? [Trippertim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trippertim wrote:
Longboarder wrote:

--------------
----------------------
X3

x4 (and I guess x5) on this. I love my T1 (have full sleeve and vest top) any my wife has the same set up and loves her's also.

I love not having the zipper and its associated chafing if not closed perfectly at my neck and the lack of any constriction when I reach by have the suit in two pieces. The other big difference for me is compared to the one piece suits I had before is the lack of an air pocket in the small of my back. With other suits, there was always the large gap that filled with water when you got in that was a shock in cold water. With the 2 piece I don't have that gap, so there is the general warming up of the cold water, but not one big slug of cold water.

X6 Super comfortable. Two piece means that full sleeve arms have more freedom to move. Best of all, it zips down, not up so there is no neck clasp. I never use body glide or the like and I never have had a single spot of chafing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Zoot Prophet! I scored a pro-deal (50% off) one this season, and was happy to get rid of my 2XU T:3.

It's most likely my build, but the MT Zoot fits me so much better than the MT 2XU did - especially my range of motion/comfort in the shoulders which is where the 2XU was simply too tight for me.

My Website || Twitter || Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on Huub. Second season with it and loooove it. Fits perfectly, no chaffing on the neck, and great flexibility.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Who loves their wetsuit? [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my Camaro X-Pulsor. Looks badass and feels even better.

Tried HUUB and Head before, did not like them as much. Way more restricted in the shoulders.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roka Maverick Pro. Awesome suit.

Quote | Reply
TOTRI wrote:
I have an Aquaman Goldcell which has been a great wetsuit. It isn't cheap but the rubber used is very flexible. It makes it a little less durable but I have been using it since 2008 and it still works in decent shape. I really like that it has a reverse zipper. It zips top down so there is no flexing of he zipper at the neck so no chafing. At least I haven't ever had any. It also does not let much if any water in so good for cold races.

X 2.

2013 Aquaman Cell Gold is my personal wetsuit nirvana.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcoker6885 wrote:
I know there could be a thousand opinions on this topic, but I am looking for a good full sleeve men's wetsuit(going to be used for an IM) and I need a little direction. Every company seems to think they have the best suit. So I figured the best thing to do is gets some opinions from the good people using slowtwitch!

Synergy Hybrid. 5'8", 145lbs, average swimmer. Size S2. I think the founder used to be a designer at Orca (something like that). I called them mid-2013 to inquire about the Orca's they had clearance on the website. I ended up with the Hybrid at a discounted price. It was on my doorstep by 8am the next morning. I used it in my first IM last September.

I swam in it this year for races and training but noticed that it was coming apart under the armpit area so I called and left a voicemail (you are not dealing with a phone tree, it's likely some dudes cell phone. I sent an email as follow-up. My call was returned by customer service within 24 hours - likely from some dude's cell phone. He requested pictures of the suit. Within hours he sent an email asking for my address. So the day before yesterday, on my doorstep, was a brand new Hybrid. They stand behind their LIFETIME warranty AND you can return it anytime and get 50% a new suit.

Seems to perform great and I've never been cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ME !!!!!! It's mega....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been said above, that brick and mortar stores are ahead on this product in my mind, as you can try on different brands.

I think the first questions in getting opinions, is have you tried anything on yet? Is this your first wetsuit? How much do you want to spend? Where do you live (to determine local shops you could potentially try suits on at)?

My professional opinion won't matter to some, but honestly the opinions of others should be held as that as well. The fit of a wetsuit, while not rocket science, is totally subjective and individual. Just because a wetsuit fits one person and works well for them, doesn't necessarily translate to you and the fit and performance for you.

Overall fit is the most important part of "loving your wetsuit". If a wetsuit fits the way that it should, you will love the way it feels in the water (not necessarily when it's dry). The performance benefit is a gain that will be undeniable. Keep in mind if this is your first wetsuit, that it may take a couple of swims to get used to swimming in a wetsuit.

Most companies offer good technology all the way through their line, and even in the $2-300 range you can find a suit with excellent flexibility and durability. For example, we employ the same technology in our entry level Pursuit, that can be found in our top of the line Phantom. Our Bio Stretch zone, found in all of our suits, is a feature that really opens up your range of motion and reduces restriction. Just an example.

While I'd like to tell you that our suit is perfect for you, perhaps it's not. Maybe something else will fit you better. But I'd be happy to help you find one of our suits to try on if you are interested.

I would suggest trying some suits on to start (if you can). That would be a good point of entry in this conversation. I would suggest resisting the urge to jump on flash sales until you have at least tried on some other suits. This is a good time of year to buy, as this year's models sometimes go on sale.

Good luck in your search. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my DeSoto T1. Have both full sleeve and sleeveless tops
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my wetsuit. I don't love that they shrink so much over winter!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Who loves their wetsuit? [jamgam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jamgam wrote:
Love my DeSoto T1. Have both full sleeve and sleeveless tops

This makes x7 for the DeSoto T1 (First Wave). I'll add to this to make it x8.

I love the two piece design (I also have the Speedtube bottoms). I love the fact the top zips down to close. I never have a need to have someone help me zip up. This is a huge plus when I'm at a lake and there's no one around that I could call on for help with my suit. The two piece lends itself to getting a better fit, like you might need a size 5 in the top and a 4 in the bottom (I have size 4 for both). Also, sometimes I don't need the bottoms, so the convenience of just wearing the top is a nice plus. As far as taking it off after the swim exit, very fast. If I'm wearing the top and bottom in a race, I exit the swim and move to the side to pull off just the bottoms. This frees up my legs so I can sprint to T1 where I can take off the top lightning fast.

If I had to buy another suit, it would be the First Wave top and maybe the bib johns. I currently have two First Waves because I had to send the first one back to DeSoto to have a thread issue in the neck redone. Excellent customer service by Emilio and the rest of the DeSoto gang! :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next