Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
White Lake, NC - Water Temps?
Quote | Reply
With White Lake Half about 10 days away, anyone have current water temps? Usually race is close to wetsuit legal line and wondering if will need to pack the wetsuit this year or not.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: White Lake, NC - Water Temps? [SnakeLover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also doing White Lake. I live in central VA, and our weather has probably not been much different from that in White Lake this spring. We've had alot of rain recently and a pretty cool spring so far - very few days above 75 degrees. Unless we have a heat wave in the area over the next 10 days, I'm betting we'll be able to wear wetsuits. Water temp I'm guessing will be 70-75 degrees max - but probably won't be much below upper 60's - hopefully an ideal wetsuit swim!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know the temp of the water, but bring your wetsuit.

Setup will post the water temp a few days before the race.
Quote Reply
Re: White Lake, NC - Water Temps? [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water was in the low 60's last week. I think we'll be fine with wetsuits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will definitely be wetsuit legal. Last year the water temp was low 70s.
Quote Reply
Re: White Lake, NC - Water Temps? [2WHEELS of FURY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks alot - sound like it will definitely be cooler than last year (~75 I think) Will plan on bringing the wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should be nice.... weather predicted is 70's for outside temp, not the norma blast furnace. guessing water will be mid-high 60s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always wanted to do this race. Send a race report!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: White Lake, NC - Water Temps? [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a great one..... another good one but its real tough is the Duke 1/2 in NC. White Lake is great because its a good size, flat and real fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always pack the wetsuit.... I take the wetsuit to almost every race just in case. Several years ago the water was pretty freaking cold and most years it is broderline. The lake is so shallow and the temp can drop overnight if a cold rain storm comes through as did the cold freaking year when it was in the air temp was in the 40's at race time.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It will definitely be wetsuit legal. Last year the water temp was low 70s.
I about froze my nuts off standing in the water before the start. Granted, once it got going, I was fine. I had on a sleeveless suit, and a bunch of guys in fullsuits were watching me shiver and laughing. It really was that cold! Needless to say, i'm bringing a full suit this year! Regardless if a sleeveless is faster. ; - )

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
White Lake is quite shallow, so the temperature can change quickly. Right now the weather is cool and rainy, which should favor wetsuit-legal temperatures. Thursday and Friday are predicted to be sunny and low 80s, so it could warm considerably. As you noted, it's often very close to the threshold. I've spent a lot of time chugging around in boats trying to figure out what the average actually is. We often don't know for sure until he morning of the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just like everyone else has said, bring a wetsuit. Weather is calling for rain, then sun, and then rain. I hope the rain passes for the weekend, but you never know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's my hometown and I swam the lake last weekend. This week will be the first week where temperatures soar(by the time you get to the run Saturday it will be around 86 degrees), but from what I felt in the water last weekend, it will be wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Re: White Lake, NC - Water Temps? [heelpride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cross your fingures for no fog right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It can be hit or miss with the temps because White Lake is shallow. Always be prepared and take the wetsuit.
http://www.whitelakewatersports.com has the water temp posted for 28 Apr 2012 at 69.
It is forecasted to be warm here in SE NC and should drive the water temp up for this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow!! 4 year old thread revived!!!!

Anyway, its gonna be close for this year. Forecast is for 4 90 degrees days leading up to the race.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: White Lake, NC - Water Temps? [CWGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fog last year eliminated one weekend's swim and barely let the second weekend swim occur. Hopefully this year with it only being one weekend, things work out.

In regards to the water temps, last year it was very close to being outside the wet suit legal limit on the second weekend, but it wasn't.

Bring your wet suit. Good luck.

---------------------------------------------------
Oregon Ducks Custom Painted Jack Kane: http://kanebikes.com/...l-bike-galleries/787
http://www.kanebikes.com/ || Road & Triathlon Bicycles. Custom Painting. Carbon Repair. Restoration. HQ'd in North Carolina
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
setup just posted the water temp at 78

so it sounds like you should be prepared for either with or without
Quote Reply
Re: White Lake, NC - Water Temps? [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pacco wrote:
setup just posted the water temp at 78

so it sounds like you should be prepared for either with or without

My vote is non-wetsuit legal. Though, I know they'll try to find a spot in the lake somewhere where it's cold enough!
Quote Reply
Re: White Lake, NC - Water Temps? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the water temp right now at White Lake? The race is the beginning of April.
Quote Reply
Re: White Lake, NC - Water Temps? [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the lake heated???

Holy crap is hasn't been above 70 for more than two days in a row this year, and the water is that warm! I guess I can start open water swimming now, though I think that is probably an update from last year or something because it sounds WAY off.
Quote Reply
Re: White Lake, NC - Water Temps? [Cyronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cyronman wrote:
Is the lake heated???

Holy crap is hasn't been above 70 for more than two days in a row this year, and the water is that warm! I guess I can start open water swimming now, though I think that is probably an update from last year or something because it sounds WAY off.

No, no. This is from May of last year you are replying to. White Lake right now is probably in the mid-50's. They moved the race earlier this year.
Last edited by: nickwhite: Mar 22, 13 15:06
Quote Reply
Re: White Lake, NC - Water Temps? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Normally I only mix up the years in January... Whoops!
Quote Reply
Re: White Lake, NC - Water Temps? [Cyronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 weeks from now, I pray to God it is at least 60 degrees.
Quote Reply

Prev Next