Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which tires?
Quote | Reply
Hey STers,

In the last few days I've seen many treads asking about tires (zipp, contis, vittorias,etc).
I will be buying new tires and was wondering which are the best ones.
As far as I (guess I) know narrower tires = better aero reduction = worse ccr, and tire's width also depends which wheels one uses.
I've got a pair of 2013 clincher FC 404 ZIPP's. I have a Specialized Shiv, my focus are 70.3s.
I also read the rear tire can be wider without (too much) aero reduction.

What tires should I use front and rear?

Thanks a lot (and please dont get angry, im learning about getting "many minimal changes to get a big differences")
Quote Reply
Re: Which tires? [Stefano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A ton of different threads on this topic, but the short answer is that you probably can't go wrong with the 23mm Conti 4000s. There are other tires that might have a bit lower Crr or slightly better aero properties, but the 4000s is probably the best all-around tire out there. Also,keep an eye out for sales. It is pretty typical to get them for about 40$.
Quote Reply
Re: Which tires? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot! That's the normal consensus at ST. Do you know the difference between latex and butyl "tires"??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stefano wrote:
Thanks a lot! That's the normal consensus at ST. Do you know the difference between latex and butyl "tires"??

Latex and butyl refers not to the tire but to the tube you put into the tire. Latex not only rolls faster but tends to feel more comfortable for a lot of people. They are usually more expensive than butyl, but I found some at less than $10 and started using them in my everyday set up (with Conti GP4000S's).
Quote Reply
Re: Which tires? [rexcoltrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But keep in mind that latex loses air faster, means you got to pump em up regular even if the bike is just standing around.
The conti 4000s comes also in 25. I use the 23/25 for daily use.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Which tires? [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Is that combo also good for competition? (23/25)??
Quote Reply
Re: Which tires? [rexcoltrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha sorry, i could not remember the word. I guess 10$ is not that much for comfort/speed. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
after many years of tri training and racing, I've not enjoyed riding Conit's so I don't get the Conti love
but hey, each to their own, and that for me was Michelin Pro in whatever was the current series and for the past 3 or 4 years I've found that Schwable Ultremo have the same fast yet supple feel.
Just 2 days ago, getting the bike ready for Kona I put on a set of Schwable One ( Shwable new best tyre )in 23mm front, 25mm rear.
I'm just over 90 kg, on a P3 with Reynold 50mm Assault wheels and I want some extra rubber and air at the rear
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't talk about the competition clinchers but as tubies I ride the 22/25 combo.
I had the schwalbe ultremos r1 some years ago and those started wearing out really soon with thread losening all the way around.

-shoki
Quote Reply