Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars:
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to get some insights here as I choose between two aerobars. I have a Cervelo P4 and the frame stack is a little too high for me. The compromise has been to put on a -25 degree stem and then find aerobars with the lowest pad height possible.

Two bars that I can find (and have ready to install) with virtually no arm-pad stack are the original HED bars, or the 3T Mistral bars. Does anyone here have reason to believe that one of these would be faster than the other?

Any help would be appreciated

HED aerobar (mine have lazy s bend extensions)

or 3T Mistral bar (the original ones)
https://www.3tcycling.com/...dlebars/mistral-pro/
Quote Reply
Re: Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars: [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First you should address which of the bars can get you into your current ideal position.

Then as far as faster/aero goes check out aerogeeks or aeroweenies. They might have the data on the bars in question.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Last edited by: ScottWrigleyFit: Apr 27, 15 12:00
Quote Reply
Re: Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars: [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doubt you will find any head to head comparisons. The hed is thinner and has sleeker brakes with less up turn, but the shape doesn't really look like an airfoil.

you might consider how the cables route on each. On some of the older 3t bars the cables exit way too early.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based off Cervelo's data I'd say the Hed Bar.

Some other good low stack options include the Felt Devox and Tririg Alpha bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at the Tririg Alpha? There's an option to mount the pads directly on the base bar with the extensions underneath: http://www.tririg.com/...60/000_Store_388.jpg
Quote Reply
Re: Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars: [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
First you should address which of the bars can get you into your current ideal position.

Then as far as faster goes I assume you are meaning more aero? If so have you checked out aerogeeks or aeroweenies? They might have the data on the bars in question.

Fit has been addressed, which is why I am considering these two options. Both bars offer similar pad-stack options, and are readily available to me, which is why I am trying these out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then I would definitely check out sites such as aeroweenies or aerogeeks to see if they have data on the bars in question.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars: [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I have been looking for comparisons, but the HED bar is so out of date that it's rarely a consideration.

I also don't see much information on the mistral, so I just have to infer that it will be similar to the Aura version. It is the original version of the Mistral with less optimal cable placement than the revised edition.
Quote Reply
Re: Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars: [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick,

I'm not sure that I have seen that cervelo publication. Can you send a link? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both bars offer similar pad-stack options, and are readily available to me, which is why I am trying these out.

Neither looks good to me. A P5 deserves good bars and levers. The front end is a very important component of overall drag.

The bar below is very fast and can be found relatively cheap on ebay. Be sure to get a 26mm stem.

Last edited by: rruff: Apr 27, 15 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars: [shredz2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That alpha would be great ...if I could justify the expense! I'm looking at those two options mainly because they are already available to me. But given the option, I would go for the alpha's
Quote Reply
Re: Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars: [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a P4, but I agree that I don't want to cop out on something that is this important.

I like the look and simplicity of the DEVOX bar and I haven't thought about that before. Thanks!

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smaller frontal area is usually better, thinner vs thicker.

IMO bars are as important, maybe a more important decision, than which races wheels to buy.

If you can find the old AL Vision tech's I think you can get low stack on those. That design may be a decade old, maybe older. I know for a fact it coupled with some profile clip ons beats some of today's fancy pants aero bars that come stock on some super bikes.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 27, 15 12:35
Quote Reply
Re: Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars: [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
IMO bars are as important, maybe a more important decision, than which races wheels to buy

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you look into the width of the elbow pags on either bar? Somebody was offering me a free set of those HED bars a few years ago, but I think I remember that I couldn't get my elbows close enough, even when they were in the most narrow setting. I also didn't like the way the bars felt. They felt like they were made out of balsa wood.

I think I would prefer the mistral if I was choosing between the two.
Quote Reply
Re: Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars: [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tried the HED bars out and I seem to be able to get my elbows in as close as I need to. The only thing that I don't like about the HEDs is the fact that it's not an aerofoil shape.

I like that the mistral bar has the aerofoil shape, but then has crappy cable routing and the upturns on the aerobars. ...in any case, the mistral bar is already on the bike, so it's likely to stay there for the time being.

I'm seriously going to consider how much it matters to me to drop some significant amount of money on something like the tririg bar. I'd start looking for a used Ventus, but I don't think I could get low enough with the fixed position of the integrated stem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USE Tulas are a fast low stack option, if you are happy with the braking.
Quote Reply
Re: Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars: [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Both bars offer similar pad-stack options, and are readily available to me, which is why I am trying these out.

Neither looks good to me. A P5 deserves good bars and levers. The front end is a very important component of overall drag.

The bar below is very fast and can be found relatively cheap on ebay. Be sure to get a 26mm stem.

I'll add a vote for the Felt Devox bars, here are mine. As rruff says clamping diameter is 26mm but I use mine with shims and a 31.8mm stem without any problems at all, just apply some carbon paste. If you did get these bars, I would heartily recommend the Sigma XF stem, you can really hide the cables from the wind and your P4 has top tube cable entry. Mine is last gen Sigma XF stem, -17 degree. The new one came out recently but looks a bit different and I'm not sure I get the cable routing.

Quote Reply
Re: Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars: [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies, ignore the bit about the Sigma, I saw in your OP you have had to put a -25 stem on there.
Quote Reply
Re: Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars: [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the AL Vision Trimax SI integrated bars before my Felt Devox and you can get seriously low stack with those. The pads can mount without any spacers at all if you pick up some shorter bolts, the pad cups sit literally on the base bar. I don't think you can do that with the clip ons because of the shape.

They *look* pretty aero too, at least in terms of the aspect ratio on the base bar. Not sure about the upturned bull horns.
Quote Reply
Re: Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars: [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+ 2 for DEVOX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just reviving this post regarding the shims used with the Devox bar and a stem with at 31.8mm clamp - where does one purchase such shims?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grammatically speaking, if there are only two choices, you should ask "which is the MORE aerodynamic ..."

That's all I got, sorry

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars: [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies TriNewbieZA I'm not totally sure, mine came with the shims included when I bought it 2nd hand. But having a look around I would think any 26mm to 31.8mm shims would work, here are some examples (but in the UK). You might want to check the dimensions of the wider one-piece shims against your bar, they might foul against the extension mounts.

ETA: I used carbon paste between the shims and the bars, nothing between the stem clamp and the shims.

http://www.highonbikes.com/...TjsscCFRK3Gwod6JMBiA (these are close to what I have)
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/...njsscCFQYOwwodQo0Fvw
http://www.evanscycles.com/...mm-to-318mm-ec052033
Last edited by: knighty76: Aug 18, 15 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: Which is the most aerodynamic of these two aerobars: [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Grammatically speaking, if there are only two choices, you should ask "which is the MORE aerodynamic ..."

That's all I got, sorry

The superlative is definitely acceptable in this situation. If there was a direct comparison (i.e., "is aerobar more aerodynamic than that one?"), then you'd have to use the comparative form.
Quote Reply

Prev Next