Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which bike ... Cervelo p2c or s5
Quote | Reply
Looking for a bike that can serve as both a road or tri bike. Would rather not spend a ton of money unless it's worth it. Is there a lot of difference between these two bikes? Advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Which bike ... Cervelo p2c or s5 [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the P2C isn't going to be like a road bike, so I wouldn't go that route.
Given that you want something to serve both purposes, I'd say look at the S5 and its competitors.
A few folks I ride with have the new Giant Propel aero road bikes and are using them for triathlons, I think they look a lot nicer than the S5. The Propels also come with a nice aero wheelset, which the S5 does not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you get an S2 and get both?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ideally you want both and it's better to get what you need. There is a lot of training you can do better with a road bike and a lot of training you can do better on a time trial bike. Jordan Rapp has blogged about why a triathlete "needs" a road bike. It's dead-on. Don't overthink it. A P2, assuming it fits you, is all the tri bike you really need, and there are other good choices in that price range. As for a road bike, you can get all the road bike you "need" with a CAAD10, which you could get, along with a P2, for the price of an S5. If you're willing to spend a little more you could probably get a 105-level carbon bike, like a Trek Emonda or Cervelo S2 or R2. However, that extra money would be better spent on race wheels or a power meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to more precisely describe how you intend to use the bike. Perhaps you would be better served by a P2c with di2, which can make using it in group rides more pleasant due to satellite shifters.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Which bike ... Cervelo p2c or s5 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I currently have an alu cervelo soloist. I really like the two seat position and super aero frame, but I'm ready for an update. It's an 8 year old bike. So, I'm looking for something a little more modern, carbon that still offers the aero advantage of the soloist and the convenience of being a two in one bike.

I had a p2c as well and I really liked it. I kind of regret not just throwing drop bars on it and keeping it as my road bike. Thing is, is that it is hilly around my parts so it doesn't make sense to have a dedicated bike with aero cockpit. It is actually faster around here to have drops and aero bars just for the few flats that we have.

I already have top of the line componentry, race wheels and aero helmet, so I'm good on all the other stuff. I'm just trying to find the best frame for my purposes and prefer a cut out around the rear wheel, which is why I wasn't looking at the S2, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:
Looking for a bike that can serve as both a road or tri bike. Would rather not spend a ton of money unless it's worth it. Is there a lot of difference between these two bikes? Advice?

I was in your exact dilemma... Wanting both good road bike for fast group rides with the roadies and a top end TT Bike for tris all while not wanting to break the bank
Answer is the S5! Almost too good to be true. Do some research on the S5 as a TT machine.... Especially when you swap out the cockpit. There is a poster here - Tom A perhaps- who has posted on this ( use the search function)
And when not rocking it at a tri you also show up to your local group ride on the S5 and feel right at home

Yup. S5 baby!

Last edited by: shady: Aug 2, 14 14:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the rational thing to do would be to keep the soloist until it breaks, because upgrading won't do anything substantial. Also the S5 does not go as forward as the S2 on the seatpost, and the stack isn't as low, so it can be harder to set up as a TT bike.

If I was you I would keep the soloist as a road bike and get a P2 as a TT bike, or just keep the soloist. Two bikes is more convenient that one. Two in one bikes suck as at least one of the two things they are used for, often both!

justtrime wrote:
Well, I currently have an alu cervelo soloist. I really like the two seat position and super aero frame, but I'm ready for an update. It's an 8 year old bike. So, I'm looking for something a little more modern, carbon that still offers the aero advantage of the soloist and the convenience of being a two in one bike.

I had a p2c as well and I really liked it. I kind of regret not just throwing drop bars on it and keeping it as my road bike. Thing is, is that it is hilly around my parts so it doesn't make sense to have a dedicated bike with aero cockpit. It is actually faster around here to have drops and aero bars just for the few flats that we have.

I already have top of the line componentry, race wheels and aero helmet, so I'm good on all the other stuff. I'm just trying to find the best frame for my purposes and prefer a cut out around the rear wheel, which is why I wasn't looking at the S2, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply