Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which Bike Rack - Honda Accord
Quote | Reply
I have a 2005 Honda Accord and it is time for me to get a rack for it. My old car had a roof rack specific to it, so it is gone. I am reluctant to get another roof rack for that reason. But, I am also reluctant to get a trunk rack that might scratch the paint (either the rack itself or the bike swinging into it). Anyone have a recommendation on a great bike rack? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Bike Rack - Honda Accord [mdgallaghermd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go with a roof rack. I don't have a car and therefore get lots of rides from lots of different people with different racking systems on their car. My bike always has a new scratch on it after being affixed to a trunk rack. The worst trunk rack thus far in terms of damaging the paint on my bike, has been the Saris Bones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have a saris bones rack, works pretty well, dosent scratch up bikes and comes on and off easily. Cheap too although not nearly as cool/nice/convienient as a roof rack.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Ironlobo. I got the Saris bones, works great. Easy to install and remove. Doesn't scratch paint. Bike on and off very easily. 07 Accord

Aloha,
Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bikes never ride outside anymore, but when they did I picked Yakima over Thule due to the round bars. My car has a curved roofline, and I figiured that the round bars would make it easier to mount a bike tray. Aside from that, I think they're about equal.

Lots of people seem to like hitch racks, but I'd rather not trust the jackass behind me to stop in time. Mind you, hitch racks are safer from garage doors and drive throughs, so it's a bit of a risk either way - but at least with a roof rack it's MY fault if I trash the bikes - not the idiot behind me text messaging his girlfriend while eating a lunch on the go.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Which Bike Rack - Honda Accord [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I concur, I always get nervous about the dick wad driving behind me (I live in NM so ther are lots of dick wad drivers) But I got my bones rack for well...30 bones, so I cant complain, I just hope the driver behind me jas insurance which in NM is a total crapshoot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took my Honda Accord to one of those stores that helps you pick and install a rack.

Granted I have an older-model Accord, but our conversation went something like this:

"What are my choices?"

"My recommendation to you is to get a new car, lady."

Some cars can take only very specific rack configurations, apparently. (Or they can't take any racks at all.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drive a honda accord as well. I put a trailer hitch on the car so that I can use the saris rack (cycleon pro). It works great.

Checkout http://www.iotexpert.com
Quote Reply
Re: Which Bike Rack - Honda Accord [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khai,
I admit when I first started using the racks I felt the same way. But, now I realize if the jackass behind me can't stop in time-I get a new bike :)

Aloha,
Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a Yakima roof rack on my 1997 Accord for 6 years, no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skip the rack and take both wheels off and put your bike in the trunk (assuming you have a bike smaller than a 56). I have a 2005 Accord and that is what I do. No worries and no scratches. I can take both my wheels off in seconds, putting them both back on by myself takes a little work, but not too bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This isn't the least expensive rack solution, but this is what I use.

http://www.performancebike.com/...;subcategory_ID=4411

You can get a 1 1/4 hitch for $100

http://www.etrailer.com/...005_Honda_Accord.htm

The bikes don't sway, easy on and off, and the the hitch isn't that noticeable when not in use.
Quote Reply