Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where to find obscure tool to clean inside steel frame tubes
Quote | Reply
I am disassembling my steel road bike and want to find a long wire brush that I can spin with my electric drill to clean the inside of the seat tube. I saw one used at a bike shop recently, but no one knew where they bought it. Park tool has something similar, but the bristles are too soft. I want something mildly abrasive that will remove surface rust before I spray in the Frame Saver stuff.

Has anyone used one of these and/or know where I can buy one?

Thanks.
Last edited by: ST: Oct 14, 06 17:19
Quote Reply
Re: Where to find obscure tool to clean inside steel frame tubes [ST] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably a bottle brush hone would work, I think my bike shop has one. Probably any place that sells tools for rebuilding car engines would have them. Hope that helps.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Where to find obscure tool to clean inside steel frame tubes [ST] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.mcmaster.com/
page 2535
bottle brush hones

Rob
http://www.roadandtrisports.com
F.I.S.T. certified
415-786-9181
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 12 gauge shotgun cleaning brass brush ( walmart ) , diesel fuel or WD40 . Make a snake from steel wire to pull stainless wool grill cleaning pads through the tubes .

Find a pilot or light aircraft mech. get some .040 stainless wire would be best .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love this thread! Seriously, where else could you get such immediate responses to such an obscure inquiry?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Re: Where to find obscure tool to clean inside steel frame tubes [Tribato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the links. I had tried McMaster, MSC, etc., but none of them make one that is long enough. I was hoping to find one with an overall length of 30 inches or so. I will keep looking. Otherwise, I will go with the snake idea and pull something abrasive through the tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful with a bottle brush hone and a drill. I have one frame that now has a slightly oversized seat tube from not paying close enough attention while using it.

FYI - If the tube is only mildly rusted you don't have to get all the rust out before using framesaver. If you are going to repaint the frame, try Naval Jelly. Toxic as hell but it will remove the rust and leave a coating to protect it. I used it to restore an old Schwinn Cruiser and was really impressed.

-bs
Quote Reply