Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Where to Carbon
Quote | Reply
Where is the best place to have carbon on a bike? Assuming a non carbon frame, what parts would you make carbon first: handlebars, stem, seat post, fork, rear triangle?

From what I have heard so far, in order of most benefit (to ride quality) to least:
-Fork
-Seat Post
-Handlebar/Stem
-Rear Triangle

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Re: Where to Carbon [bcreager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
every where there is not carbon you should get carbon.

I need more carbon and I can never get enough. It looks so fast even though I am not.

GO4 SMOOOOOOTH AND FAST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My preference:

Fork,

Seatpost,

Seastays,

And then only carbon handlebars if you have the carbon seatstays. (Otherwise stick with alloy.)

Also note, a carbon seat really has no place on an aluminum bike.
Carbon headset spacers are fine.
Carbon stems are overrated. A nice matte black one will usually suffice.
Carbon wheels are good on anything.
Carbon bar tape is not actually "carbon bartape."
Use carbon cranks more or less to taste.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to Carbon [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbon seat posts... Hmm... Nah. I'll take a Thomson Masterpiece any day of the week. Just as comfortable, more adjustable, never slips. Quite possibly the best built cycling component you can buy. I wish I had one on my tri bike...

I agree with everything else, more or less in that order, though I would add that a carbon fork should come with a carbon steer tube, though aluminum drop outs are fine. Also, I have no problem with the FSA carbon cranks, but you need the MegaXO BB.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to Carbon [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't saying any of those are necessarily the best specific component, I was just posting the higherarchy for upgrading/swapping to carbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbon headtube spacers tend to expand, not a good idea. Ask Tom D.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why no carbon seat on an aluminum bike? Do they not "mesh" well? Just curious, it will be on a steel bike anyways.

Where do carbon rails on your seat fall in order? About the same as a carbon seatpost?

Glad I am asking before I order a bike, as its probable very difficult to add carbon seat stays to a bike afterward. The upgrade to a rear carbon triangle is about as much as a set of carbon bars

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I'd probably stear clear of most carbon rails. (Fashionably it doesn't matter, but I just don't trust them.) I'd stick to steel/titanium. Not a part you want to worry about breaking.

Carbon seats are for weight weenies who no longer have the ability to "raise the mast." A carbon shell is one thing, but a full carbon seat should be reserved for impotent roadies. I'll bet a classic concor would look nice on a steel bike.

On a steel bike, I'm gonna say seatstays are your call.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seatstays might be a good place to save the cash on, and spend more on wheels.

I am confused on carbon cranks though. Isn't carbon suppose to "soak up more bumps", or is it suppose to be "stiffer then everything else". So a seat post will make the ride more comfy, and cranks will be stiffer???

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"So a seat post will make the ride more comfy, and cranks will be stiffer???'

That's the rumor. It's often up for debate. though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a steel frame w/ a carbon seat stay (Serotta CX II CS). I was skeptical about the stay, but my LBS strongly recommended it. Now, I am very glad I got it. The bike is ridiculously smooth-smooth like an all carbon bike, but w/ the zip/liveliness of steel. It is even more comfortable than my ti road bike w/a carbon seat post. Based on that limited experience, I think the stay will have a bigger impact than the post.

I have heard bad stories about carbon stems and handlebars.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to Carbon [shredder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That just happens to be the bike I am looking at, and trying to decide if I want the carbon stays, or just the steel ones. My fit recommended them, but also said there is enough bike (57ish frame) that the steel will still do a good job of making the ride plush.

Haven't heard many good things about the carbon stems...mixed reaction to the handlebars. Gloves are way cheaper though

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike rocks. I will never get a non-custom bike again. After years of suffering to ride w/aero-bars, now I can stay in my aero bars all day long. I am sure you will love it with or w/o the carbon stays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
post some pixs if your got 'em....hard to find pics of serotta bikes online. Well, besides the serotta forum, lots of high end ti bikes there though

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will try to post some pics (when I figure out how to do that) along with a review. The bike is really beautiful if I do say so myself-they do a great job on the paint. Mine is sunset w/slate eliptical panels. It's really striking- the panels look like liquid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The irony of it all......same bike I am looking at, and same color, Sunset. Though I haven't decided on the panels yet, might just do the logo in black or slate....eventhough sunset bike with black flames would look KILLER!

To post pics, you need to host them somewhere. I got a free account at photobucket.com. Then, you just put a link to the picture in your post. Make sure you are using IE and the advanced editor

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Part of what makes carbon stiff vs. complacent is how it's layed in the manufacturing process. Or so I've heard!

Myself, I wouldn't trust carbon seatposts, stems or handlebars. I've read about/seen too many failures/problems for me to shell out the extra bucks when a trusty aluminum job, weighing just slightly more, will do a good job. Go with the carbon fork and stays. Go with carbon cranks only if you have a stiff bottom bracket, and have the output to require it (i.e., bigger, more powerful ride) otherwise it's wasted money from a performance standpoint.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like a carbon chain. That would be cool.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW worth, I have ridden a friend's CXII that didn't have carbon seat stays and I found the ride to be a bit rough. The bike is about a 50 or 52, so your 57 may well be more "complaint" in all steel, but compared to my all-carbon size 50 Calfee, the ride was noticeably harsher. Haven't tried a CXII with stays.

I have carbon bars, but only because Easton had the shape I wanted. All things equal, I'd stay away from carbon bars (as mentioned above, too many horror stories). As long as you have a carbon fork, I would guess that your wheel choice and tire pressure will have far more impact on vibration than the material of your bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to Carbon [Sparky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa, 50 that seems tiny, you are one of the ones that kill me on the hills, and the flats, and the rolling hills. Gravity helps me on the downhill!

Could you tell any difference in bb flex between the carbon and steel? I am guessing the bigger frame will have a beefier BB. But the Carbon bikes always seem to have more material in that area then the steel bikes

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Re: Where to Carbon [trinewbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a grinder....but not that powerful. I have carbon cranks on my tri bike, and haven't experianced any problems. Every now and then I will get a phantom shift when I am out of the saddle, really crankin, and in one of outside sprockets in back. I do notice when I am on the trainer, that the BB and cranks flex alot (moving back and forth. I am guessing that is more the bike frame then the bb and cranks though.

I am planning on going with non-carbon cranks, probable the ultegra set. But do they come in compact?!?!? I haven't seen them if they do

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, Lemond has got it right if you're mixing carbon with other materials. The spine on their new bikes is either titanium or steel while the rest is carbon.

http://www.lemondbikes.com/spine/index.shtml
Quote Reply
Re: Where to Carbon [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a guy riding one of those this morning on my drive to work....and thought....."wow, that's a good idea". looks pretty killer with ti attached to it too! Why aren't more companies doing this? Do customers want all carbon, or all carbon tubes with a little ti/steel?

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know if there is any comfort advantage of a ti/carbon or steel/carbon frame over just ti or steel. With the steel/carbon there would be a weight saving. There would certainly be an improvement of al/carbon over aluminium.

I have the steel/carbon version that I upgraded with a Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork. The ride is very smooth, way nicer than my aluminium Giant TCR was.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to Carbon [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traded in my old lemond steel road bike for my current aluminum felt tri bike....its fast, but man oh man it pounds me into submission. Some carbon wheels would probable help.

-bcreager
Quote Reply

Prev Next