Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete
Quote | Reply
This is Part 3 of my 2015 wrap up, "Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete". It was a bit delayed, but timely due to tax season just wrapping up. If you missed Part 1 and Part 2 those can be view here: "Part 1, Through the Len" and "Part 2, by the #'s".

Back in 2013, I had tracked all of my triathlon expenses to get an idea of what it would take financially to race a season of triathlon professionally. At the end of the year I looked at what I spent, and it was SCARY, $13,128 scary to be exact! It was my first year back in the US after 5.5 years of being stationed overseas, and my first year in the US full time, to put a triathlon schedule together. I lined up that schedule to what I thought would be pretty comparable to a pro race schedule, it included races in Florida, Texas, California, Nevada, Wisconsin and Hawaii.

I drove to a few of the races keeping the cost somewhat low, as my car got great gas mileage and I was able to avoid bike fees. I still had a hard time fathoming how I could possibly make it as a professional with the expenses being pretty high. That $13K did not include the expenses for Hawaii and Vegas, as the Air Force had stepped up and covered those races since they were World Champs at which I was representing them.

Cody Beals had written about his financials as a first year pro in a blog titled "My Rookie Pro Triathlon Budget" and that is what inspired this blog. Some of this will look familiar to what you may have seen in his blog, and some of it is my own take on the numbers.

Expectations-
When I started thinking about making the jump to the pro ranks, my wife and I agreed that I could do it for 2 years and see what the financial implications were and then we would re look at it after year 2. I however wanted to make sure that I was making smart business decisions so that I could continue to do this as long as possible. We didn't really set a "budget" per se, but I was loosely watching the amount I was spending on the sport. I am in a fortunate situation that I came out of the Air Force with a bit saved up and was debt free.

I set out as a first year pro with ZERO expectations on the prize money front. I had planned a strategic race schedule to hopefully build up a resume that would help with continuing to grow my current sponsor relationships as well as build new ones. That race schedule just so happened to land me on some great start lists, so that when I raced to my potential, I was able to collect a few paychecks.

I was really fortunate to build a strong sponsor base through my progression as an age grouper and all of those carried over into the ranks as a professional. I had hoped to continue to grow those relationships throughout the season and build upon them.
Goals / Reality-
It was pretty simple for year one. Race, race well, and hopefully lose as little as possible, all while trying to build a resume and get my name out there. I also wanted to be able to continue to contribute to my retirement fund and max out my Roth IRA ($5,500). Unfortunately that was not going to be possible purely on triathlon income, so that meant working a part time job.

I had been previously volunteering with Team Red, White, and Blue as the National Triathlon Director. That role was on a volunteer basis with ZERO income. I continued that work as I felt keeping my "resume" active and giving back to the Veteran community was important. I also held a part time job at US Military Endurance Sports, where I have a flexible schedule working an hourly wage and being able to work from anywhere in the world. It is a great job for someone in my position and I was working anywhere between 18-25 hours a week. On top of that I had started coaching in early 2014 and picked up a small group of athletes which was another minor source of income and also very flexible and rewarding.
So let's dive into the expenses and revenue.
Revenue:

Equipment Sales / Bike Rental:
44% of revenue was from equipment sales. This was due to having a few sets of extra race wheels, a few extra bikes and some random gear that was sold. Part of this sell-off can be attributed to our move to the UK, where we have a tiny flat and my wife and I needed to be selective on what bikes we would keep. I would expect this number to be lower in 2016, but if a new bike comes around, then that means selling the current bike, which will create some revenue.

I am fortunate enough to be partnered with Spinlister and have some of my bikes listed on there. I had a few rentals this year which contributed to the $206 in revenue. Small, but it is $206 I would have otherwise not had from the extra bikes I have laying around.
Sponsorship: Cash, Commission, and Bonuses
I was fortunate to have a few pure cash sponsors for 2015. These are by far the hardest sponsors to get in the sport. It is the equivalent of finding a herd of unicorns at the end of a rainbow that are eating from that magical pot of gold (at least that is what a majority of pros consider these cash sponsors to be). So to generate $3,779 (looks a bit funny as one sponsor paid in foreign currency) in cash sponsorship was something that I consider a huge win for 2015, but it is still an area that I think I can improve upon for 2016.

Commission is something that I am a bit torn on. A few companies are against having pros push sales as they do not believe we should be "salespeople". These agreements had carried over from when I had started making partnerships as an Age Grouper and I hope to transition these partnerships into a bonus structure or pure cash. However, I believe that one of the greatest assets I have to offer as an athlete is my reach within the triathlon community. So with that being said, I believe the commission setup works really well for me as a professional, but as I continue to progress in the sport, I think it is something that I may do less and less.
Race Winnings:
Like I had mentioned above, race winnings were not something that was expected this year. Picking up 3 pay checks totaling $4k ($3967 after fees/taxes) was quite nice. Not sure what 2016 has in store on the prize money side of things, but ideally this number continues to increase over the years! To have a better understanding of what Pro Triathletes make in prize winnings I would recommend this article: http://trstriathlon.com/...riathlon-money-list/ . In short, 40 athletes made over $50K, 40, yes 40 athletes, both men and women. This list is not annual, rather based on the Kona Points Year and ITU World Series. So with that, only IMUK counted for me putting me at $2,000 and 267 on the list of 444 males that took home money.
Coaching:
I have slowly started to build up a base of athletes that I coach. It has been purely by word of mouth but it brings in a few extra dollars and I really enjoy helping others succeed in this sport. In 2016 I look to continue to grow the number of athletes I coach and make this another source of revenue to support my triathlon career.
Expenses:

Equipment:
With the amount of bikes that were sold and the change to bike sponsors in the middle of the year, that really contributed to the equipment being a big expense for 2015. It was basically a wash with the amount of revenue generated in sales. I am not "sponsored" per se by Cervelo, more "supported" by Cervelo, so that means that I am still having to pay for my bikes. I don't mind, as being on the best bike in the business is something that gives me confidence when I get on the start line knowing I have the best equipment. Ideally,, that partnership will grow and hopefully one day I will be a fully sponsored athlete by Cervelo.

Transport / Bike Fees:
Taking the big risks to travel to Asia for some races meant some big flight tickets. That is what drove the transportation expense so high, but for 2016, I have accrued enough flight miles to cash in on some free flights. The evil of flying with a bike is the amount airlines charge. This took a big hit to the expenses, but is getting harder and harder to avoid. When I was in the military, I very rarely paid for my bike to fly, maybe once every twenty flights. They were really generous to those of us on Active Duty. Now it is just part of the pain of traveling with a bike, forking out anywhere from $75 - $200--other than that one time where Asiana charged me $495 as they were charging by weight.

Hotel:
This may look really high, but it includes two different training camps I did and the lodging for those, so that is what drove this number up pretty high. For racing, I was at $695 and that was pretty low considering I had received a home stay for 1 race and then complimentary hotels for both Korean races.

Coaching:
Pretty straight forward. Most Pro Athletes pay a flat rate for coaching and then a % of winnings on top of that. That is the setup that I have with my coach (Scott DeFilippis) and it works well.

Race Entry / Membership:
This is where I saved quite a bit of money from racing as an amateur. WTC/IRONMAN has a pro membership that cost $848 in 2015. This allows you to do as many races as you want as a professional and as it may sound expensive, it ends up being a lot cheaper than what I had to pay as an amateur. Challenge Family did not charge for race entries in 2015 and I did one of their races. The "memberships" include the local Tri Team in the UK I pay to swim with, along with 2 other places that I swam at throughout the year.
Summary:
Overall I lost $194 in 2015, which as sad as it is, I think that is a WIN for a majority of pro triathletes. When talking to someone else about how the financials had shaken out for 2015, they had mentioned looking at it like a "start up". Most start ups are not profitable for the first few years, so to come that close to breaking even, I am really happy with that.

For 2016, I have worked out several new financial sponsors which have had a huge impact on allowing me to not worry about how long I can do this for. It has given me the confidence that I can make this work and continue to do it for as long as I am passionate about the sport. I will continue to work hard in training, but also continue to work on the business side of my "brand" and hopefully with the hard work in training the results and progression will continue to trend in the right direction.

By the Numbers:
2 Full IMs and 5 70.3 races in 2015
3 Paychecks, totaling $4,000
$571 – average prize money per race
$2,000 – highest prize money at IMUK
122 Days– slowest prize money payment (70.3 Incheon)
$1,265 spent on airline bike fees, a LOT of international flights
$545 spent on hotels (lucky enough to have a few homestays + free rewards nights)
$4,291 + award miles on airfare
79,145 miles flown
$11,089 spent on 3 new bikes and parts for said bikes, this is what happens when a sponsor deal goes bad mid year……….
$11,480 on selling old equipment and 2 bikes

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Last edited by: @BW_Tri: Apr 19, 16 18:23
Quote Reply
Re: Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Opportunity cost: $100K (e.g. what you could have earned if you had used the time spent training/racing in a profession that actually pays). :)

Wow, that's pretty eye-opening. Thanks for the transparency. Some people seem to treat showing numbers like that like some big secret, or something super private.

Kudos to you for making it work, and for being smart about it. And for choosing a life with so little immediate financial payoff, and no guarantee of an eventual payoff.
Quote Reply
Re: Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Opportunity cost: $100K (e.g. what you could have earned if you had used the time spent training/racing in a profession that actually pays). :)

Wow, that's pretty eye-opening. Thanks for the transparency. Some people seem to treat showing numbers like that like some big secret, or something super private.

Kudos to you for making it work, and for being smart about it. And for choosing a life with so little immediate financial payoff, and no guarantee of an eventual payoff.

x2

I appreciate your honesty and transparency.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
trail wrote:

x2

X3

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post. I'd say you did very well. I honestly don't know how other pro's do it with far less revenue than you. I give you props for being able to contribute to your retirement fund.

I'm curious how a bike sponsorship goes south mid season if you are able/willing to discuss it publicly.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I'm curious how a bike sponsorship goes south mid season if you are able/willing to discuss it publicly.

Without going into all the details, there was breach of contract and I had given time for the issues to be resolved. When those were not resolved we went our separate ways. I will say that I was paid what I was owed and that I had met my obligations throughout the contract period. This is the only time that I have/had an issue with a sponsor, so I think I am very fortunate to be working with some great companies and people. I have heard a few horror stories throughout my time in the sport of deals going bad, so wasn't something that was completely shocking to me.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Thanks Trail. I was just in a position in my life with transitioning out of the Air Force that it was the opportunity to actually give this a proper go. And if I was going to do it, I wanted to do it the right way. I feel like working a part time job and training is still giving it a proper go. There are some more changes to come this year, that will hopefully allow me to give it even more focus, and hopefully within the next 2-3 years it can be 100% focus, with a little bit of coaching on the side.

I think at times that if all I had was training/racing that it could be a bad thing. Staying busy and keeping the mind active on other "things" has been a good thing up to this point I believe. I find when my work schedule or other obligations are not busy, I tend to let things slide rather than being super proactive on things.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
trail wrote:

x2

X3

X4

There are probably two dozen men and a dozen women making a reasonable living in our sport (I'm probably being optimistic). Everyone else is hoping that with hard work they can take someone's place in that group.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post. I'd say you did very well. I honestly don't know how other pro's do it with far less revenue than you. I give you props for being able to contribute to your retirement fund.

I'll echo what the others have said, and say Kudos for Brad coming on here and laying it all out. It's pretty bleak, I can tell you that.

I've lived through it. My wife now semi-retired raced professionally for a number of years, both in triathlon and also in bike road racing. She finished in the top 5 of various, Ironman and 70.3 races around the world, qualified for the Ironman World Championships (in the old system) 3 times and raced in Kona twice. Best finish there 21st after getting off the bike in 16th place.

In her best years, she "made" between $5,000 - $10,000. This was the women who in Canada for many years was ranked 2nd or 3rd in Long Course racing behind the great Lisa Bentley and was she was TriCan's Long Course Woman of the Year ounce.

We did OK with gear from various companies either given or at less than wholesale. The reason that it "worked" for her/us was that she ran her own Hair Styling business that was totally flexible with time-on/off - so she could get the training in, take time off for training camps, and races.

There is what I call the A-Listers in the sport, a group of maybe 20 - 50 triathletes, combined from the WTC and ITU, that are truly Professional and making a good to decent living from the sport of triathlon. After that group, the money drops off a cliff! You have ITU Athletes racing in the Olympic Games and doing reasonably well performance-wise on the ITU circuit and top-15 finishers at Kona on the WTC side of things barely making ends meet, or actually loosing money year over year.

There is no easy "solution" for this, as you can't just throw many at it, the athletes, and the sport itself needs to generate value, and then more money will come in. But we have a long way to go for that.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 19, 16 18:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the breakdown of "Triathlon" expenses.

I'm curious as to why you didn't include your normal living expenses..health ins, lodging, food...etc in your budget?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very interesting thanks for sharing

really calls into question the definition of "professional" eg "engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur
if we treat the equipment sales as an exchange with the replacement purchases so not real income/occupation then race winnings are the highest revenue source so i guess that means professional.
however i tend to think of professional as actually making a living out of an occupation which i don't think you are - if i interpret that correctly you're just covering tri-related expenses in the balance sheet? roughly breaking even does not mean even covering general costs of long term non-tri life, though it is great you are still able to save for retirement.

but then, as a well paid IT professional i sometimes wish i had the opportunity to try that life for a while. i spend so much of my time stuck at a desk wishing i could be out training to see what i can really achieve. my bank balance is healthier than yours but perhaps my life is not. if you can do it for a few years without digging a financial hole then that's awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
Thanks for the breakdown of "Triathlon" expenses.

I'm curious as to why you didn't include your normal living expenses..health ins, lodging, food...etc in your budget?

Because I feel those are "living" expenses, and if I wasn't covering those out of my "part time" job then I wouldn't be doing Triathlon.

Also, I am married and my wife is currently a student at the University of Oxford in the UK. We are fortunate that she is there on a full ride scholarship + paid stipend + GI Bill (which covers the housing).

Health Insurance we are covered under the NHS in the UK, but since we travel a lot we also have TriCare through the military which she still serves in. That is roughly $210 a month.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:

really calls into question the definition of "professional" eg "engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur
if we treat the equipment sales as an exchange with the replacement purchases so not real income/occupation then race winnings are the highest revenue source so i guess that means professional.
however i tend to think of professional as actually making a living out of an occupation which i don't think you are - if i interpret that correctly you're just covering tri-related expenses in the balance sheet? roughly breaking even does not mean even covering general costs of long term non-tri life, though it is great you are still able to save for retirement.

but then, as a well paid IT professional i sometimes wish i had the opportunity to try that life for a while. i spend so much of my time stuck at a desk wishing i could be out training to see what i can really achieve. my bank balance is healthier than yours but perhaps my life is not. if you can do it for a few years without digging a financial hole then that's awesome.

Did you take a look at this: http://trstriathlon.com/...riathlon-money-list/

There are VERY few people in our sport making a "living" at this. With 2015 being my first year racing as a "professional" I am happy with where things are. 2016 is headed in the right direction with my partnerships/sponsors and I will come back and post a follow up at the end of 2016.

Who's to say your bank balance is healthier than mine ;)?????

This was part of the thing with getting out of the AF, sure the money was good, but I wasn't waking up happy with work everyday. I dreaded going in. So with the transition out of the AF I was fortunate enough to be in a position to give this a go. I am now happier/healthier and going to see what happens. I am not going into debt doing this, and I am not digging myself a hole. Could I have a better "paying" job and possibly be putting more into retirement than just capping off the Roth IRA each year, sure.........But money does not equal happiness, but I am still pretty financially savvy and ensuring that I will be setup to retire at a decent age, rather than working the rest of my life.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recall listening to you as a guest on Triathlete Training Podcast! I drive a lot between Tennessee and Kentucky for work so I like to listen to anything I can.

Pretty interesting article. I would also be curious to see what the numbers look like for ITU.

Thanks for sharing. Best of luck this season

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
pk1 wrote:

Did you take a look at this: http://trstriathlon.com/...riathlon-money-list/

There are VERY few people in our sport making a "living" at this. With 2015 being my first year racing as a "professional" I am happy with where things are. 2016 is headed in the right direction with my partnerships/sponsors and I will come back and post a follow up at the end of 2016.

Who's to say your bank balance is healthier than mine ;)?????

This was part of the thing with getting out of the AF, sure the money was good, but I wasn't waking up happy with work everyday. I dreaded going in. So with the transition out of the AF I was fortunate enough to be in a position to give this a go. I am now happier/healthier and going to see what happens. I am not going into debt doing this, and I am not digging myself a hole. Could I have a better "paying" job and possibly be putting more into retirement than just capping off the Roth IRA each year, sure.........But money does not equal happiness, but I am still pretty financially savvy and ensuring that I will be setup to retire at a decent age, rather than working the rest of my life.

kudos to you for sharing and giving it a go while also, somehow, making ends meet (for now). Not to burst your bubble because I think it's cool that you posted and are trying to make it, but I think the rubber will truly meet the road if you and your wife decide to have children.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely all the best to you. I gave it a bit of a half hearted go back in my late 20's but lacked the drive and the talent to get anywhere. It was more a case for me of having had enough of my boring office job and wanting to try something different. Ended up quitting and then becoming a personal trainer which certainly at the start of things gave me ample free time to train whilst I built a client base up - was working about 16 hours a week mostly either early morning or evening which meant the day was mine. It was a good job to have as I could within reason move clients around or cancel, but I found that for me the mental side of things was my biggest limiter - i.e. getting myself out of the door for long hard sessions on a Tuesday morning etc.

I'm still doing triathlon at a pretty decent level but wouldn't want the pressure of earning money. I think for me it would take away the pleasure of the sport. It is quite sobering seeing that list with olympic champions and the best of the best earning less than I do. I'm sure there is extra cash for some by the way of endorsements and book sales etc, but that will be a handful. Surely things have to improve - triathlon isn't on the level of football or other top tier sports, but it has certainly got a rapidly growing following.
Last edited by: Ironmike78: Apr 20, 16 2:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, thank you for the information and insight. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and saw an opportunity to do something and did it.

The speculation that you did not take this or that into consideration could very be a wash. Making that $100K is no slam dunk, one pays taxes and most people spend the rest - leaving them about where you are.

More commonly people decide on a job that will allow them to train/race, For example, a single teacher with no kids and a working spouse can usually swing the training and racing time without the stress of being a professional. Heck, practically any single person with no kids or a working spouse who is supportive can swing it.

It's amazing the Bill Rodgers and many other amateurs worked full time and trained enough to become professionals. It takes a lot of drive to make it.

Good for you! You are also very generous to share your knowledge with us. Thank you.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Like the stupid Mastercard commercial says: opportunity cost: $100k, value of pursuing your dream: priceless. 20 years from now, which would you value more: some equity in a house, a bigger 401k balance and maybe a nice car, or the memories of chasing a career as a professional athlete, traveling and racing around the world in a sport you are passionate about? I have the former, but I'd much rather have the latter.

Kudos to you for taking the risk and obviously putting yourself in a situation where you could.
Last edited by: deh20: Apr 20, 16 5:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent write up. Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fantasy Triathlon
http://914419110599774392.weebly.com/index.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering your job with USME, I'm assuming you know George ... I was in the car last year with him on the way to a race and he had to make a call to a guy in the UK about social media, small world if that was you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely some interesting information. From reading your various posts over the years and getting an idea of how detailed you are, I suspect you've done a full income/expense analysis for your entire financial picture, which includes your daily living expenses, full household income, etc. and at the end of the day it's viable at the moment. Hopefully it will remain so and only continue to get better as you "live the dream." Congratulation!*

*I debated whether to put a period or exclamation point here. At first I had a period and realized it could come off as sounding sarcastic which is not what I wanted. I honestly wanted to congratulate you for having the ability as well as the confidence to take the chance to give this an honest go.
Quote Reply
Re: Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironmike78 wrote:
Surely things have to improve - triathlon isn't on the level of football or other top tier sports, but it has certainly got a rapidly growing following.

Bit of a tangent, but the big difference from football and other top tier sports is that triathlon's growth is driven by number of participants, not number of spectators (and I'm not even sure it's rapidly growing any more is it?). More participants doesn't necessarily translate to more prize money. I guess it means more tri bikes and wetsuits sold, which could translate to more sponsorship money. Or more races, meaning more opportunities to win. But unless people actually start wanting to watch triathlon in big numbers, either live or on TV, there will never be more than a handful of pros making decent money from the sport. I just don't see that happening any time soon. I train every day, and I love watching sport, but even I have pretty minimal interest in watching a triathlon unfold. Might catch the highlights occasionally and I'll watch the Olympics if I can, but if it can't catch my attention then it's certainly not going to lure in the casual sports fan.

And to the OP, fascinating blog post, thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironmike78 wrote:
Definitely all the best to you. I gave it a bit of a half hearted go back in my late 20's but lacked the drive and the talent to get anywhere. It was more a case for me of having had enough of my boring office job and wanting to try something different. Ended up quitting and then becoming a personal trainer which certainly at the start of things gave me ample free time to train whilst I built a client base up - was working about 16 hours a week mostly either early morning or evening which meant the day was mine. It was a good job to have as I could within reason move clients around or cancel, but I found that for me the mental side of things was my biggest limiter - i.e. getting myself out of the door for long hard sessions on a Tuesday morning etc.

I'm still doing triathlon at a pretty decent level but wouldn't want the pressure of earning money. I think for me it would take away the pleasure of the sport. It is quite sobering seeing that list with olympic champions and the best of the best earning less than I do. I'm sure there is extra cash for some by the way of endorsements and book sales etc, but that will be a handful. Surely things have to improve - triathlon isn't on the level of football or other top tier sports, but it has certainly got a rapidly growing following.

Brad did a nice write up there for sure, and brad also demonstrated his ability to punch well above his weight in terms of actually turning a profitable. That majority of pro triathletes are not this lucky. The unfortunately reality is the sport continues to consolidate, this may be a good thing in the end, but it is harder and harder to even get a paycheck at races, which means bonuses don't come as easy, which means, sponsorship doesn't come as easy.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big thing is that the sport isn't growing right now. Only youth segment is exploding, but those kids aren't watching Tri on tv or causing large sums of money into the sport. Here in NC RD's are having super difficult time with getting people to races.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Financials of a Pro Triathlete [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:
I recall listening to you as a guest on Triathlete Training Podcast! I drive a lot between Tennessee and Kentucky for work so I like to listen to anything I can.

Pretty interesting article. I would also be curious to see what the numbers look like for ITU.

Thanks for sharing. Best of luck this season

Yeah that was me on Triathlete Training Podcast. Thanks for listening. Just did one with ZenTri as well. http://www.zentriathlon.com/...alveston-703-pa.html

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply

Prev Next