Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes.
Quote | Reply
After being slightly scandalized by the entry of "That Crazy Ukrainian" (didn't even know he trained in Boulder) I noticed a guy show up on a BMC Time Machine with nothing at all on it except a round bottle inside the triangle, a perfectly fitting skinsuit and aero shoe covers and I thought: We're all toast. And we were.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've dabbled in a few weekly TT and hill climbing events put on by a cycling team and they always make me cower back to my solo triathlon training.
Quote Reply
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was in that bottle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the other hand, sometimes a triathlete shows up at a race full of cyclists. (Yoder demolishing Cat 5 field).

Though he's really a cyclist showing up at a race full of cyclists.
Quote Reply
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
On the other hand, sometimes a triathlete shows up at a race full of cyclists. (Yoder demolishing Cat 5 field).

Nice. But I bet there are quite a few triathletes who have never entered a cycling race that could dominate a Cat 5 field - a lot of AG cyclists probably put more training hours in on just the bike than a lot of Cat 5's.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
champy wrote:
I've dabbled in a few weekly TT and hill climbing events put on by a cycling team and they always make me cower back to my solo triathlon training.

lol I missed out on a TT this year that was right up the road. Maybe next year but I know I'll be at the bottom.
Quote Reply
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a TT with Andrew Yoder earlier this year... he had the fastest time of the day on a not so flat West Virginia course. Never heard of him before and after mentioning him to some other local triathletes got a few good stories... ridiculous how fast he is.\

On topic... amazing to see some of the true cyclists riding the way they do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Nice. But I bet there are quite a few triathletes who have never entered a cycling race that could dominate a Cat 5 field - a lot of AG cyclists probably put more training hours in on just the bike than a lot of Cat 5's.

Also most Cat 5's were on road bikes. They haven't yet committed to a real TT rig. Yoder would have been mid-pack in Cat 1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
trail wrote:

I assume that you're talking about just TTs correct? Crits and road races are completely different animals.

Even if you are talking TTs only, you'll be very surprised how fast some Cat 5s are in the discipline. I know I am every time I race!!!
Last edited by: Tri Slow Poke: Aug 24, 16 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Slow Poke wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
trail wrote:

I assume that you're talking about just TTs correct? Crits and road races are completely different animals.

Yeah, I don't know any Tri guys that can hang on our "Tuesday Night Worlds". I'm not saying no tri guys could, but I've just never seen it. The pace on this ride is through the rough on the climbs, and is never really steady due to the terrain. There are a couple of climbs that require you to do 6.6-7.1w/kg for 4 minutes, all done with efforts already in your legs - assuming you wanna be in the front group.

I think the vast majority of tri guys would be fair better in a TT compared to road guys for sure.

Quite certain Jessica would have smoked me.
Quote Reply
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What ride is this, out of curiosity?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The real winner is the 50 year old.

Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
What ride is this, out of curiosity?

Just a local ride in Ottawa, Ontario. It's not officially a race, but we do have a lead car, and a follow vehicle and the roads are open. The fastest nights normally have some Pro tour/Continental guys.

I prefer the reverse - show up as a triathlete and show the roadies how it's done!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
After being slightly scandalized by the entry of "That Crazy Ukrainian" (didn't even know he trained in Boulder) I noticed a guy show up on a BMC Time Machine with nothing at all on it except a round bottle inside the triangle, a perfectly fitting skinsuit and aero shoe covers and I thought: We're all toast. And we were.

Makes sense. One guy plays 1 sport, the rest play 3.
Quote Reply
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a TT earlier in the year, a casual non-USA cycling event of about 11 miles (6.8 km) and was passed by a guy on nothing but a road bike and normal equipment you'd see on a weekend bike ride. I later looked at his total ride via Strava and he did 100 or so miles total. Nothing like doing a casual 100 mile weekday ride and smoking some TT'ers along the way.
Quote Reply
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of those guys are pretty old to be Cat 1.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
The real winner is the 50 year old.

Actually the real winner is the 70 year old. I did not post the entire results list.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade wrote:
Tri Slow Poke wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
trail wrote:

Yeah, I don't know any Tri guys that can hang on our "Tuesday Night Worlds". I'm not saying no tri guys could, but I've just never seen it. The pace on this ride is through the rough on the climbs, and is never really steady due to the terrain. There are a couple of climbs that require you to do 6.6-7.1w/kg for 4 minutes, all done with efforts already in your legs - assuming you wanna be in the front group.

I think the vast majority of tri guys would be fair better in a TT compared to road guys for sure.

Does the front group of this ride resemble a typical Cat 5 field? I think not given that it includes pro-tour and Continental cup guys! And I'm not talking about MOP triathletes... Its the faster amateurs that I mean to refer to.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Aug 24, 16 9:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The turns, bumps, and close proximities to other cyclists would make it hard to a tri AGer (even a fast one) to hang very long in a bike race.

Fast group rides? Sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, no. Your post just got me thinking about my own experiences being a road cyclist and not ever recalling seeing a tri guy on a fast group ride. I don't know everyone's background, so there may be some lurking around!

I dabbled with duathlons a few years ago when I was running quite a bit, and I can attest to the fact that I wasn't nearly as strong as a cyclist as I am now with real bike training, so I do certainly get it!

I am amazed how freaking good the top tri guys are at all 3 disciplines. It really is quite impressive.

In cat 5?!? seriously?!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

He also got nearly last in the cat 5 crit that weekend
Quote Reply
Re: When a cyclist shows up to bike race full of triathletes. [jet black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, JB. Seriously. Riding in a straight line with nobody else around you like a bike leg in a tri or a TT is much different. Also, someone mentioned before that while a triathlete focuses his/her time on 3 sports, a bike racer only has 1.

From personal experience, my cycling strength and handling greatly improved....once I gave up running and swimming.
Quote Reply

Prev Next