Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
When NOT to Fall Over at a Stop Light (New Video)
Quote | Reply
For National Bike to Work Week, the local FOX affiliate did a segment on riding to work. I was among a group of cyclists that rode along with Lila Lazurus as she rode from her home to the FOX studios. As we pulled up to the light at Franklin and Maple, Lila had a 'clipless' moment (even though she was using toe clips) and fell over. As luck would have it, they had just gone live to the ride and caught her falling over from the helicopter!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/ to watch a video clip. (That's me in the yellow SUGOi jacket in the background of the picture, and riding 4th wheel in the video).
Last edited by: efernand: May 17, 07 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: When NOT to Fall Over at a Stop Light [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's really funny!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Semi-related story with clipless pedals:

After my first season with clipless pedals I was absolutely perplexed- how does ANYONE fall with these things? My older Ultegra SPD's are a breeze. Really, you'd have to be a moron.

I am a moron.

The other day I just finished my next to last climb, I was beat, and started turning around in a driveway. Being tired, I quit paying attention, lost my balance a little bit, and was going so slow that the act of unclipping threatened to throw me off balance.

So I fell. I am humbled. I deserved it. Luckily, no helicopters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go on, admit it, you pushed her didn't you? :)

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done this twice now. :o(

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am hungry for a Big Mac. Anyone else?

Oh. The rest of the video was pretty funny. At least she can laugh at herself. Not everyone would in that same situation...
Quote Reply
Re: When NOT to Fall Over at a Stop Light [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I didn't push her. Although I did open the back of the truck to let the camera man out to film her. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, as long as you found some way to add to her public humiliation :)

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: When NOT to Fall Over at a Stop Light [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you do it with your wife behind you, she'll laugh so hard that she damn near wets herself.....

......ask me how I know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dead giveaway that you are a triathlete posing as a cyclist with that high cadence!

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is fantastic, thanks for sharing. Good camera angle....when you use the helicopter you need a car chase or a crash. Would have been perfect if the white van would have had its hazard lights on. Agree that it is a good sport to show this as happens to all of us....more when you clip in and ride trails with you kids...really dumb!

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: When NOT to Fall Over at a Stop Light [IAMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She was pretty embarrassed at first, but once everyone told her that it happens to everyone, she was able to joke about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Miserable day in May for a ride, and she must have been cold without leg warmers or tights on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the hell was she wearing on her head? Looks like a 99 cent cooler from 7-11.
Quote Reply
Re: When NOT to Fall Over at a Stop Light [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a pretty chilly morning for a ride. She was very cold, which lead to her leg cramping up when she fell. You can see EJ trying to massage it out at the end of the clip.
Quote Reply
Re: When NOT to Fall Over at a Stop Light [ATX TRIHEAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her helmet was very bush league, but it had FOX2 on it, so that is what she wore. She is very fit, and rode very well for not riding a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: When NOT to Fall Over at a Stop Light [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I miss Sports Night, too. Great show.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Her saddle is too high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was watching the coverage this morning & kept waiting for something to happen. Darnit!

At one point (while riding) she was on her cell phone talking live with people in the studio. Someone asked if the group should be taking up the entire lane riding 3-4 abreast. Her reply was that they were being safe & there was more than one lane of traffic available. (For all I know there might have been a Fox2 van following closely behind blocking the lane.)

Knowing how some people on ST are so self-rightous about following the rules of the road...

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must have been a stone or a pebble.

----------------------------
http://DoodleBot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too funny, i know that area well since it's part of my training route.... Seems a little dangerous to ride on a morning commute though....

Upon further review that doesn't look like Frankin and Maple at all....

Damn roadies clogging up the road....
Last edited by: turn n' burn: May 17, 07 10:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ha...

i "...hit a pebble..." once or twice too.

BTW...go get 'em next weekend if i don't talk with you in between.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we all have been there at some time. Without a camera crew of course.

H
Quote Reply
Re: When NOT to Fall Over at a Stop Light [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As my 4-year-old daugher says, "Daddy, remember when we rode our bikes to my school and you fell down in the middle of the road? Poor Daddy."

There is also the time when I fell over in my own driveway... No one saw that, so it really didn't happen.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Re: When NOT to Fall Over at a Stop Light [sc3826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there is supposed to be another segment tonight at 6:25 PM.

The white truck at the intersection was around us most of the way filming. If there were two lanes of traffic, we would ride 2 abreast, other times we rode single file. She was the celebrity ride leader, but since she doesn't ride much, didn't know a lot of the rules etc., so took some 'liberties' along the way.
Quote Reply

Prev Next