Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheels for Venge - Roadrace + TT
Quote | Reply
I have a 2012 S-Works Venge that has the original "Roval CL-40" wheels. They look great and I've been pretty happy w/ them, but the bearings are very gritty on the rear wheel and I've had (2) shops tell me that the hubs/bearings aren't worth replacing because the wheels have lots of miles on them and spokes or other components will start to go soon. It sounds like it's time for replacement wheels.

What're some good value wheels that I should go with?

Requirements:
- Road riding. I say "road racing" but I'm just talking about very spirited group rides outdoors with lots of climbing and fast flats. Some headwinds, some crosswinds. My current wheels have given me "the wobbles" on fast descents with strong crosswinds, so I'd like a wheelset that does better with crosswinds than these.

- Time Trialing. I plan on using this roadbike for TT's this year, since I sold my Cervelo P2. These are 40k TT's, and I'm not interested in getting another TT bike.

I generally ride a different bike during the week on my indoor trainer, then use this bike on weekend outdoor rides and events.

The wheels I'm strongly considering are:

FLO 30 Carbon Clinchers
FLO 30 Carbon/Aluminum Clinchers
FLO 45 Carbon Clinchers
FLO 60 Carbon Aluminum Clinchers
BOYD 45mm Carbon Clincher

What would you recommend? I've heard lots of good things about FLO Wheels, and the price is lower than others like Zipp, Enve and HED.

Thanks for any input.
-Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels for Venge - Roadrace + TT [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go with Boyd 60s and a wheel cover for TTs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
They look great and I've been pretty happy w/ them, but the bearings are very gritty on the rear wheel and I've had (2) shops tell me that the hubs/bearings aren't worth replacing because the wheels have lots of miles on them and spokes or other components will start to go soon. It sounds like it's time for replacement wheels.

-Ryan

It sounds like they are just trying to upsell you on some new wheels. If you are happy with your current wheels other than the bearing wear, just replace the bearings and enjoy them for another 5000-10000 miles.
If you "want" new wheels, then all of the options you listed are good options, though i'm pretty sure the Flo 30s are fully aluminum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
I have a 2012 S-Works Venge that has the original "Roval CL-40" wheels. They look great and I've been pretty happy w/ them, but the bearings are very gritty on the rear wheel and I've had (2) shops tell me that the hubs/bearings aren't worth replacing because the wheels have lots of miles on them and spokes or other components will start to go soon. It sounds like it's time for replacement wheels.

What're some good value wheels that I should go with?

Requirements:
- Road riding. I say "road racing" but I'm just talking about very spirited group rides outdoors with lots of climbing and fast flats. Some headwinds, some crosswinds. My current wheels have given me "the wobbles" on fast descents with strong crosswinds, so I'd like a wheelset that does better with crosswinds than these.

- Time Trialing. I plan on using this roadbike for TT's this year, since I sold my Cervelo P2. These are 40k TT's, and I'm not interested in getting another TT bike.

I generally ride a different bike during the week on my indoor trainer, then use this bike on weekend outdoor rides and events.

The wheels I'm strongly considering are:

FLO 30 Carbon Clinchers
FLO 30 Carbon/Aluminum Clinchers
FLO 45 Carbon Clinchers
FLO 60 Carbon Aluminum Clinchers
BOYD 45mm Carbon Clincher

What would you recommend? I've heard lots of good things about FLO Wheels, and the price is lower than others like Zipp, Enve and HED.

Thanks for any input.
-Ryan

In all honesty, replacing the bearings on the wheels you have would likely be your most affordable option. Bearings wear over time, but can be easily replaced without replacing the entire hub, or wheel set. If you want new wheels then I understand that, but personally I wouldn't try to sell you new wheels because the spokes "might" go on your other wheels. If you are happy with what you have, a little TLC will have them in like new condition.

Just my two cents.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of you options are good. Flo or Boyd 60s will be fine. I have the Flo's and like them.

But I think your LBS is trying to make an unnecessary sale. Unless you've got 50k miles on them or just want new wheels, I'd have the bearings replaced and buy a cover.
Quote Reply