Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel rub
Quote | Reply
I just had a Trek 2003 TT frameset built with 2004 Dura Ace and am using 2003 Hed3 Trispokes that have been used on my 5200. The rims have like 400 miles on them. I live in Minnesota, so I have very few chances of riding outside in the Winter. I took it out about 3 weeks ago after I had it built and appeared to be fine. I road it on the trainer last week for about half an hour. Today, I noticed that the sidewall lettering on the tire was rubbed all the way around. It appears that it is rubbing on the frame by the chain and seat stays. In my estimation, it is off by like 2-4 mm to the right of center. Any ideas as to what is causing this rub, or if you can move the spacers on the rear axle from side to side since a rear can be used as a front with a kit? I have yet to check the fit with my Ksyriums. A friend looked at it and has the impression that the hub is loose and needs to be adjusted too. My mechanic is on vacation until mid Feb. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel rub [hansoa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is it possible the skewer is not seated all the way in on both sides? Have you taken the wheel out and reinserted it to see if that fixes the problem? A dropout might be bent.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Wheel rub [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I now have taken out the rear wheel and put it in again. It did not correct the problem. I have tried 3 different skewwers and that did not fix it. Also, I put on my Ksyrium and that rubs, but in a different spot. I currently am running with Bontrager Xlites and have a heavier Specialized tire on the Mavic's. My thoughts are that the frame is overmolded or the dropouts are under/uneven cut. It does not have aluminum rear dropouts, they are carbon fiber. The tires were underinflated when I picked the bike up. When pressurized, it starts to rub. The frame has a wheel cutout and has a half inch gap for the wheel to the frame everywhere, except by the seatstay and down by the bottom bracket where there is a quarter inch on the left and like 2mm on the right. It looks to be impossible to ride heavier training tires due to the fact their is no room. Anyone else have one of these and notice this? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel rub [hansoa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These frames were designed to use a 19mm rear tubular tire. We have found very few clinchers that don't rub on the chain stays. Any amount of wheel wobble will make the problem worse, It's designed as a "race" bike with not much clearance.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel rub [John Cobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear John,

That was my thoughts. Clinchers appear to fit, but it is just the tires that are the problem. However, why is Trek sending stock Trek Time Trials with Bontrager aero rims and 23c xlite tires if they do not work? I saw that Tim Deboom has a Trek TT and was running a Hed3 Trispoke in the rear. Who makes decent tires that are 19-20c and are clinchers?
Quote Reply