Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel Cover Question
Quote | Reply
I got a new wheel cover for an upcoming race on July 16th (11 days). Would I be okay to leave the cover on until race day, provided I don't train on it? Aerojacket says wheel covers are not meant for continuous training between races. I wasn't sure if leaving it on that long might weaken the tightness of the fasteners. I wanted to put my new gear together but don't feel like pulling everything apart if I don't need to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Cover Question [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leave it on.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Cover Question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly would prefer to leave it. I got it on just right with no warping and it fits evenly on the drive and non-drive sides. I even cleaned it with a citrus degreaser/water mix. Don't want to do it again in the next 10 days.

jimatbeyond wrote:
Leave it on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Citrus cleaners can destroy some plastics. Be careful.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Cover Question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The stuff I used is safe on plastics fortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've left mine on two wheels...one on a Flo 90 for my tri bike (11 speed) and another on a box rim wheel for my road bike (9 speed). Both have over 1,000+ miles on them and doing fine. The Flo 90 I used the fittings to affix and the box rim wheel needed electrical tape to get the fit just right. I'd say put the thing on and roll that disc all the time!
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Cover Question [SwiftRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's good to know some have used the covers over long periods. I was worried that leaving it on might cause the fasteners to loosen, even if it's not used. It doesn't sound like I need to worry about that one based off your experience.

SwiftRunner wrote:
I've left mine on two wheels...one on a Flo 90 for my tri bike (11 speed) and another on a box rim wheel for my road bike (9 speed). Both have over 1,000+ miles on them and doing fine. The Flo 90 I used the fittings to affix and the box rim wheel needed electrical tape to get the fit just right. I'd say put the thing on and roll that disc all the time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered mine with no holes, as I use the 3M super 33+ taping method. But I have a dedicated wheel for it (forte titan) and it hasn't come off or even a tiny bit undone for 4 years (about 15-20 sprint/olympic races, ranging from cold, hot, rain, etc). Never even had to redo the tape!

I hope I didn't just jinx myself lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually leave my cover on my race wheel all the time. I only ever ride my race wheels during races (and on pre-race shakeout rides). I do occasionally just go out on a training ride in full aero-dork gear and, so yea, I will sometimes be seen training with a covered wheel. I do this when I feel like I need to get a feel for some gear change, or whatever, and think that a quick easy shakeout isn't enough to learn what I need to learn.

Anyway, the point is that there isn't really a good reason to worry about taking it off or putting it back on. I wouldn't train with it on all the time or anything, but it's a tool that is meant to be used, so use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Cover Question [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to thank everyone for the feedback. It's been helpful. I'm always cautious with new equipment that I'm not familiar with.

noofus wrote:
I usually leave my cover on my race wheel all the time. I only ever ride my race wheels during races (and on pre-race shakeout rides). I do occasionally just go out on a training ride in full aero-dork gear and, so yea, I will sometimes be seen training with a covered wheel. I do this when I feel like I need to get a feel for some gear change, or whatever, and think that a quick easy shakeout isn't enough to learn what I need to learn.

Anyway, the point is that there isn't really a good reason to worry about taking it off or putting it back on. I wouldn't train with it on all the time or anything, but it's a tool that is meant to be used, so use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel Cover Question [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikenUltra wrote:
I ordered mine with no holes, as I use the 3M super 33+ taping method. But I have a dedicated wheel for it (forte titan) and it hasn't come off or even a tiny bit undone for 4 years (about 15-20 sprint/olympic races, ranging from cold, hot, rain, etc). Never even had to redo the tape!

Same here. The 3M electrical tape along the edge is sooooo much better than those stupid fasteners. Mine has been on for quite some time and the tape is holding very strong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one caution to add--you need to be careful when handling the cover if it is cold. My bike was in an outside storage area on a chilly night. Went to pump up the tires the next morning. Knocked the edge of the valve hole with pump head, and the area around the hole shattered. Guess the plastic can get brittle when it gets cold. Patched it up with some electrical tape.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply