Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's the CAAD10 105 of MTB?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking used. And preferably cheap. Full suspension, probably, and aluminum frame and 26" wheels are fine by me.

What's your favorite bargain race-ready mtb? What's the minimum component level you'd recommend? Anything special to avoid?
Last edited by: jstonebarger: Feb 25, 15 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: What's the CAAD10 105 of MTB? [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The CAAD10 of the mountain bike world is an aluminum hardtail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd put the minimum specs for a race-ready bike at: Shimano SLX (or SRAM X7), front air shock, thru-axles, hydraulic disc brakes, and an aluminum hardtail frame (Like a Niner Air 9).
Quote Reply
Re: What's the CAAD10 105 of MTB? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
The CAAD10 of the mountain bike world is an aluminum hardtail.

I'd certainly consider a hardtail, and no doubt it would be cheaper. My partner has one, though, and we can mix and match, so for now I'm hoping for a full squish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only problem with lower-end full suspension bikes is they tend to be very heavy. Really, unless you start looking at a carbon full suspension frame, you will likely be in the low 30 pound range.

Which is why the CAAD10 of the mountain bike world is probably an aluminum hardtail. Even with components like Shimano SLX, can be built up to a race-ready weight of 25 to 26 lbs, all for under $2000.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then consider Specialized Epic Comp. Aluminum full suspension. I love mine, especially with the Roval Control SL wheelset I upgraded to. Just like a Caad10 w zipps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with Airborne, was a good kit at the price.

Now it sits in my garage doing nothing, as I have found my love for biking does not extend off pavement ;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what size bike you want? i have a cannondale f4 that I bought 2 years ago and only rode 4 times. Literally (for the lavender peeps). Seriously. I only rode it 4 times. It is in my shed. Size L with the gray and white combo.

ANy chance you live near DC area?
Quote Reply
Re: What's the CAAD10 105 of MTB? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but I'd need a medium way out in Iowa. Nice bike, though!
Quote Reply
Re: What's the CAAD10 105 of MTB? [Yeshrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeshrs wrote:
Then consider Specialized Epic Comp. Aluminum full suspension. I love mine, especially with the Roval Control SL wheelset I upgraded to. Just like a Caad10 w zipps!

I have seen a couple of those. Aluminum SC Superlights and Cannondale Scalpels, too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get this:
http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polygon-siskiu-d7-0-cross-country-mountain-bike-4-7-travel-shimano-deore-xt/

a bloody steal for the price. reviewed here: http://www.bikeradar.com/...n-siskiu-d7-0-49258/

DO some homework on polygon. they are an actual bike maker (older scott speedsters were made by them) and have some solid design and manufacturing capabilities. used to work for their distributor, impresed with how far they've come. they are making some waves in the mtb scene and they have their own road racing team as well, so they aren't some supermarket chain bike.

me, I'm saving for this:http://www.pinkbike.com/...-n9-review-2014.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recommending a MTB is a lot trickier than a road or tri bike. Whether you go hardtail or full suspension depends greatly on the trails you're going to be riding. I'd commit to one or the other before trying to recommend anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say that a Giant Anthem might fit that bill pretty well, maybe a Spesh Epic. My hunch is you'd be able to get the Giant a bit cheaper but I have nothing solid to back that up
Quote Reply