Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What would you like to see in a local running store
Quote | Reply
Trying to get a few ideas. Obviously shoes, but what else would you like?
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [nbpi5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sales people who are all very knowledgeable if not experts on both running and the products you sell. Apart from being able to see something in person (which you can often do at larger, national retailers), that's the only reason I go to a local running store.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Demo Nights. Boulder running company does them and the people know a ton about their shoes plus running 5-7 miles in them has made me purchase two different brands. I also like stuff that is not at major retailers (Food is big here but mostly shoes). Group runs.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [YTS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sales people who are all very knowledgeable if not experts on both running and the products you sell. Apart from being able to see something in person (which you can often do at larger, national retailers), that's the only reason I go to a local running store.

The whole success of an independent store like a run, bike or tri shop is going to hinge a GREAT DEAL on this. You have to make that customer experience from the time they first walk in the door of your store, so amazing and so over-the-top, that they will want to come back AND, they will tell 10 people about it!

Why is this so important? They can get the product anywhere they want, and possibly for less money - this human interaction, is your place to really shine. Strange then that so many retailers in the space, don't seem to get this.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Feb 26, 15 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adambeston wrote:
Demo Nights. Boulder running company does them and the people know a ton about their shoes plus running 5-7 miles in them has made me purchase two different brands. I also like stuff that is not at major retailers (Food is big here but mostly shoes). Group runs.

Definitely. Great idea. I'd love to find a place that does this. Beats the hell out of "You can take it around the store if you'd like." It takes a few miles to really get a feel for the shoe and to tell if it works well for you or not.

Other than that, I'd love to see a running store that sells decent running shorts for less than $60. It's getting ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

The whole success of an independent store like a run, bike or tri shop is going to hinge a GREAT DEAL on this. You have to make that customer experience from the time they first walk in the door of your store, so amazing and so over-the-top, that they will want to come back AND, they will tell 10 people about it!

Why is this so important? They can get the product anywhere they want and possibly for less money - this human interaction, is your place to really shine. Strange then that so many retailers in the space, don't seem to get this.

^^This^^ Hospitality, communication, knowledge, and community are HUGE in a specialty store.

Sadly, hospitality is a dying thing. Even businesses in the hospitality industry (gyms, hotels, restaurants, etc) don't seem to care about hospitality and customer service anymore.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [YTS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YTS wrote:

More specifically, salespeople who don't rely simply on the whole "let me watch you take a few steps so I can recommend how much pronation control you need" sales approach.

Also, a large selection of apparel including some lesser-known brands. Seems like most shops carry the same 5 or 6 big brands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nbpi5 wrote:

A decent treadmill for demoing shoes. Knowledgeable staff, and a good selection of training clothing.

I can buy anything online, so having a knowledgeable staff is vital to getting me in the door. I want to be able to go in and have the guy tell me the REAL difference between Shoe A and B, and why one is better than the other. Something I won't get from Amazon.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cup wrote:
adambeston wrote:

Definitely. Great idea. I'd love to find a place that does this. Beats the hell out of "You can take it around the store if you'd like." It takes a few miles to really get a feel for the shoe and to tell if it works well for you or not.

Other than that, I'd love to see a running store that sells decent running shorts for less than $60. It's getting ridiculous.

I like this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone has visited Rogue Valley Runners in Ashland Oregon, then you would know exactly how to run a store. Elite level ultra runners, friendly and knowledgeable staff, laid back attitude, they dont push brands or old stock....treadmill and gate analysis available (a must). The majority of running stores in Oregon are like this....it's the Mecca of running!

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pay a premium on shoes locally because the staff are runners (some very good), kind, helpful and well taught at fitting. The store has a 2 week return policy based on poor fit issues. They let you run outdoors or if the weather is bad they let you run on their treadmill. They don't rush you out of the store. While they don't carry all the brands they carry many of the larger brand names, so you will find a shoe that works. They can also special order from their product line.

And a good selection of the small things (different elastic lacing systems, body glide, gels, etc...)

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
nbpi5 wrote:

A decent treadmill for demoing shoes. Knowledgeable staff, and a good selection of training clothing.

I can buy anything online, so having a knowledgeable staff is vital to getting me in the door. I want to be able to go in and have the guy tell me the REAL difference between Shoe A and B, and why one is better than the other. Something I won't get from Amazon.

And a decent selection of men's running SHORTS that don't go down to my knees or lower.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some really good ideas. Keep them coming.

What about nutrionist, PT, chiropracters, etc..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beyond products, my favorite local running stores are big local community supporters. They sponsor local events, coordinate training groups for local races, host group runs and track workouts, etc.

The employees are highly personable as well. I can walk into my store and more than one employee knows my name, asks what I'm training for or how training is going, and goes to the back to grab my shoe in my size. Basically they make me feel like a person instead of a cash register transaction.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of those prices are also squeezing stores on the margin-level, too. Not getting keystone on apparel is nuts.

The problem is that the "Core" short (say, the Asics Core 5" short) is an absolute piece of shit, and they now want you to charge $30 for it, meaning in order to buy a halfway decent short to carry, you're now looking at most shorts at $45-$50. Price escalation in apparel is an industry-wide problem.

Unfortunately, to the other user: most folks who shop at indie shops are more your recreational runner who would prefer a 5" or longer short. We couldn't sell splits if our life depended on it unless they were on clearance. I'm personally attached to Mizuno's line-up of shorts right now, with the exception of an older NB faux-split that I love.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This^^ Hospitality, communication, knowledge, and community are HUGE in a specialty store.

Sadly, hospitality is a dying thing. Even businesses in the hospitality industry (gyms, hotels, restaurants, etc) don't seem to care about hospitality and customer service anymore.

This is what happened at the local running store I used to frequent where they were big on the hospitality, taking time to really get to know their customers and what their needs were in addition to being very knowledgeable on product and having a great selection of shoes/apparel. The owner sold the store to a larger regional chain a few years back and the hospitality aspect completely disappeared with the new owners/staff where they pretty much treated customers as numbers only rather than providing any real service. I switched to ordering stuff on-line as a result even though the store was a mile from my house until a friend who lives out in Colorado opened his own store about a year ago, so now I order through him.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I would have specific health professionals, but having a space whereby they could put on talks, maybe monthly, maybe more often, or training sessions etcmmm would be nice. A good store will help create a little running\sporting world with the store as a central hub.

A weekly run from the store would also help form that group atmosphere. Make the clients take ownership and make them want you to succeed.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nbpi5 wrote:

A treadmill.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: What would you like to see in a local running store [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
I don't think I would have specific health professionals, but having a space whereby they could put on talks, maybe monthly, maybe more often, or training sessions etcmmm would be nice. A good store will help create a little running\sporting world with the store as a central hub.

A weekly run from the store would also help form that group atmosphere. Make the clients take ownership and make them want you to succeed.

If space is available, maybe a small locker area and a shower or two? That might allow for impromptu runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can dream. A mini gym consisting of a small lockerrroom with shower with towel service. outfit it with 5-10 treadmills of very high quality (Woodway etc) and an alterG plus some floorspace to stretch/roll. Have an online system to reserve time. Lastly, extended hours with access via a system like zipcar uses to gain entrance. Name it something cheesy like "the cardio lab at xxx running store"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decent inventory across brands/models/sizes. I'm a big advocate of shopping at the local shops but I visited three running stores in two different states for my last pair of shoes. All had the model that I wanted but not in My size so I ordered from the manufacturers website.

As stated by someone else, more boutique brands as well. You can get the major brands from any retailer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not just shoes but howabout some friggin RACING FLATS!!!!! for crying out loud. I rarely see a running store with racing flats. I know very few folks buy them....but I race and train and wear them casually, so stock em, now.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you opening up a brick and mortar store? What part of the country?
If you are serious, travel to different parts of the US ( or regionally at least) to see what the best specialty run shops are doing right. I'm sure everyone here can give you their favorites and reasons. Why are they succeeding next to the big box stores? How do they keep a loyal customer base from simply ordering online for less $? Lots of good tips in this thread, and that is of course a good way to start, but go hit the streets. Good luck!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Size 14 and 15 shoes. I'm sick of having to order shoes online try them on send them back rinse repeat and still end up with an okay to poor fit a month later.

Socks that fit size 14/15 feet.

Clothing in sizes bigger than a jockey would wear.

A staff that doesn't push the most expensive shoe right away.

An urn of lemonade or ice tea in the summer and hot tea or chocolate in the winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our local store Playmakers is great. Treadmi with video, not-pushy staff, good return policy, lots of events/ classes/ form clinics, huge community involvement via races, training groups and clubs, elite teams, timing services. They ARE running in the Lansing area.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next