Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What type of person totally "buys in" to all the Ironman marketing?
Quote | Reply
Editing to clarify: Questioning on what type of personality causes someone to totally buy into everything IM and WTC at the exclusion of everything else in their lives.
Last edited by: greatland: Oct 9, 15 13:00
Quote Reply
Re: What type of person totally "buys in" to all the Ironman marketing? [greatland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get what you're saying but a lot of people need that positivity in their lives. It is what leads them to healthier life choices.
Quote Reply
Re: What type of person totally "buys in" to all the Ironman marketing? [greatland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greatland wrote:
I know someone who has done a fa couple (or maybe just one) IMs and they just completely buy in to all the marketing. I'm talking like constantly posting the things like "you've worked so hard and the doubt is creeping in but YOU CAN DO IT TRUST YOUR TRAINING" type of stuff.

I get it, an IM is pretty hard. I worked hard to get into the sub 10 hour range for a real IM. But I never bought in like that. Just totally, hook line and sinker posts anything "motivating" touted by WTC or the more shady IM "coaches."

What type of person totally buys into this? In my experience, someone without much else going on in their lives.

Nice back door brag.

OK, why'd you post this? Because you kinda come off as a holier-than-thou type.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a douchebag. I just can't with this..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greatland wrote:
I know someone who has done a fa couple (or maybe just one) IMs and they just completely buy in to all the marketing. I'm talking like constantly posting the things like "you've worked so hard and the doubt is creeping in but YOU CAN DO IT TRUST YOUR TRAINING" type of stuff.

I get it, an IM is pretty hard. I worked hard to get into the sub 10 hour range for a real IM. But I never bought in like that. Just totally, hook line and sinker posts anything "motivating" touted by WTC or the more shady IM "coaches."

What type of person totally buys into this? In my experience, someone without much else going on in their lives.

You're like totally the coolest! Can I be your friend because I'm totally down for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greatland wrote:

Is this the sole domain of Ironman or does that not translate to every other sport in the history of mankind?

...and you're a douche.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's a 'real ironman'. Are they different from Challenge or WTC's 226 offerings?

On a more serious note, I think there's a world of difference between someone who spouts that mantra stuff, and the ones who:
  • Buy all the gear (including cologne) and never, ever takes it off, unless they're refreshing their compression gear, and/or
  • Never shuts up about their latest training ride or event, and/or
  • Gives unsolicited advice on matters about which they know little or nothing (trisplaining if you will).

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greatland wrote:

This type of person:

Last edited by: M~: Oct 9, 15 5:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, considering I'm sitting here in Kona waiting to race on my Legacy slot, I guess you could say I'm that type of person. Yet despite your stereotype I'm certainly not the motivational quote type. In fact, I tend to be pretty reluctant to even mention Ironman or triathlon in general unless I'm asked about it.

I know it makes it a lot easier to feel superior when you can lump people together and judge but like others have already said, it makes you look like a douchebag. It will be interesting to see if you show back up and defend yourself or if ou're just going to slink back into your whole and wait for this to blow over.
Quote Reply
Re: What type of person totally "buys in" to all the Ironman marketing? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It ain't Kona Week until Thom calls somebody a douchebag. Now I shall slink back into my "whole".

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of people race Ironman just for the challenge. Like, it's legitimately a huge challenge that they know they may not complete. When is the last time you started a race when you didn't know if you'd be able to finish? For me it's been a really long time. I think doing this sport for a long time can give one a pretty myopic view. I have to constantly be cautious in my cynicism, especially towards those newer to the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: What type of person totally "buys in" to all the Ironman marketing? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
It ain't Kona Week until Thom calls somebody a douchebag. Now I shall slink back into my "whole".

Sorry, that wasn't meant as a direct response to you, sorry if I hurt your feelings. I yield grammar superiority to you.

FTR, I don't think I've ever called someone a douchebag on Slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i guess i am considering when i run on a treadmill on watch replay after replay of Kona over and over again.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: What type of person totally "buys in" to all the Ironman marketing? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" it makes you look like a douchebag."

Oh yes, that's so much different than actually calling someone a douchebag.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: What type of person totally "buys in" to all the Ironman marketing? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet again, if only Slowtwitch had a Like button

Breaking Thom's message down:

• Backdoor brag on Kona
  • Not fast enough to KQ;
  • But has done at least 12;
  • Not the motivational quote type (ei one Greatland 's sterotype reference points)
  • Reluctant to mention triathlon (ei another of Greatland's reference points)
  • But feels the post is about him, or at least a group of people he feels he's been lumped in with
  • Despite the OP probably not talking about him, feels the need to call out the poster
  • And... despite being on a tropical island, during the biggest week for LD triathlon in the year, with so many wondrous sights to see and things to do, whilst tapering for a world championship event some people spend years and thousands of dollars attempting to qualify for, is still playing around on his phone or laptop.

Is it off season yet?

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: What type of person totally "buys in" to all the Ironman marketing? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
Yet again, if only Slowtwitch had a Like button

Breaking Thom's message down:

• Backdoor brag on Kona
  • Not fast enough to KQ;
  • But has done at least 12;
  • Not the motivational quote type (ei one Greatland 's sterotype reference points)
  • Reluctant to mention triathlon (ei another of Greatland's reference points)
  • But feels the post is about him, or at least a group of people he feels he's been lumped in with
  • Despite the OP probably not talking about him, feels the need to call out the poster
  • And... despite being on a tropical island, during the biggest week for LD triathlon in the year, with so many wondrous sights to see and things to do, whilst tapering for a world championship event some people spend years and thousands of dollars attempting to qualify for, is still playing around on his phone or laptop.
  • [/

Is it off season yet?[/quote
    I love this thread and love to hate it. Like an ocean swim in typhoon conditions where I'm just struggling to make it from one douche canoe to the next.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: What type of person totally "buys in" to all the Ironman marketing? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, really seemed to have hit a nerve. You guys have a great night. Sorry again if I offended
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same as: have a great time on the island and hoping you have a good race!

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: What type of person totally "buys in" to all the Ironman marketing? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
A lot of people race Ironman just for the challenge. Like, it's legitimately a huge challenge that they know they may not complete. When is the last time you started a race when you didn't know if you'd be able to finish? For me it's been a really long time. I think doing this sport for a long time can give one a pretty myopic view. I have to constantly be cautious in my cynicism, especially towards those newer to the sport.

This is an excellent point.

To semi-defend the OP:
I think that he has misrepresented his own point (unless he hasn't).
People who engage a lot with WTC and their events aren't the same group as those who force their positivity down people's throats (constant motivational images and quotes with too many exclamation marks, images like the one posted above), - although I'm sure that there will be some overlap. I have friends on my Facebook who are like this and they are from several sports. One is into bodybuilding, several others are crossfitters. Only one repeat offender is a triathlete, she recently did a 140.6 but it wasn't WTC branded.

I have to be honest, I do find it annoying. I get that some people need that positive reinforcement, but when they are posting this stuff almost every day just so that people will tell them that they are "inspirational" or "brave" it gets to be a bit much. It's just fishing for compliments, which is a quality that I personally dislike in people.
The triathlete friend that I mentioned above just happens to be friends with a woman from my office too, this colleague of mine recently described her as an "amazing athlete" and I had no response. I realise that this may sound douchy but the woman in question went over 15hrs on what is a famously fast and "easy" course (she's in her 30s and is a healthy weight). I don't see how that's impressive. Commendable, sure. I have respect for anybody who gets off their sofa and jumps on their bike or in the pool, but that's not the same as being impressed by them.
I realise that this is the elitist in me talking, and I digress.
Quote Reply
Re: What type of person totally "buys in" to all the Ironman marketing? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I know the type of person that OP is talking about.

At Zell am See I was sitting in town quite early on the Friday morning having a coffee. It was cool-ish outside, I had a jumper on.

Then some guy walks past, wearing sandals and a super tight Zell am See 70.3 WC trisuit. He basically put on his tri suit that he bought at the expo the day before to go out of his hotel and buy a newspaper.

wtf.
Quote Reply
Re: What type of person totally "buys in" to all the Ironman marketing? [AforEffort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He probably just wanted to check it didn't chafe...
Quote Reply
Re: What type of person totally "buys in" to all the Ironman marketing? [AforEffort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Presumably wearing compression socks under the sandals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I started in triathlon in 2005, I bought into it all. Back then, they didn't have all the ridiculous IM-branded mattresses, cologne, etc., but I was that guy that wanted to wear my IM medal around the next morning, wear my IM hat and shirt on the plane ride home after my first IM in 2006, etc. I watched the videos online, bought copies of the Kona broadcast, bought finisher gear in the tent at 7am the day after the race, etc. It motivated me through all the suffering of training to proudly display the fruits of my labor. My ego wanted to let people know that I was an Ironman. WTC banks on that, and banks pretty well as evidenced by all the finisher's gear they sell after every race. I get it. People sacrifice a shit-ton of their lives, relationships, etc. to get to the start line of an IM. Many are just average joes and jills that are cramming in IM training wherever they can and they end up nearly at the breaking point by the end of it all, so they want some positive reinforcement from those around them by advertising their accomplishment.

At some point down the road of my IM journey, with Arizona coming up in November as my 10th, I didn't need that ego-boost any more. Wearing the gear didn't matter, sneaking my next IM into the conversation didn't matter any more, and just the personal sense of accomplishment was enough. Sure, I post photos of my accomplishments on my FB page for my friends and family to see what I'm up to, but "buying in" to all the IM gear/hype no longer is something I need to do and I suspect many IM veterans feel the same.

So, I think, like anything else, the longer we stay in the sport, the less we need that outside validation that we're doing something that most people wouldn't even think to have a crack at. Does that make sense?

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: What type of person totally "buys in" to all the Ironman marketing? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
I have to be honest, I do find it annoying. I get that some people need that positive reinforcement, but when they are posting this stuff almost every day just so that people will tell them that they are "inspirational" or "brave" it gets to be a bit much. It's just fishing for compliments, which is a quality that I personally dislike in people.

I'm with you. I can't stand the motivational, coach speak kind of stuff. I'm 100% motivated by myself. Nothing anyone says to me is going to change that. I also realize some people need that kind of motivation, hence why I called the OP a douche. I agree with him from a personal standpoint but I'm not about to tell others how THEY should feel.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: What type of person totally "buys in" to all the Ironman marketing? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the culture of the world today. As you peruse through your threads today, notice how many signature lines you will see with something there besides a business promotion of some kind. I can understand the business link, but what do we need the other stuff for?
Quote Reply

Prev Next