Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What to wear for 55 degrees
Quote | Reply
I am doing a triathlon tomorrow in Arkansas, where it usually blazing hot still this time of year, but a cold front has come in so it looks like it will be 55F tomorrow for the start of a sprint triathlon. Water temps will still be high so wetsuits won't be legal. Any suggestions on what to wear for the bike?

http://www.jarredscycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for 55 degrees [Jarred'sCycling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shorts and a shirt. If you have some sleeves (removable) maybe roll them up on your handle bars before the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's 55 air temp at race start then by the time you get out of the water it will be a little warmer. You'll be fine with standard tri kit you wear. Of course that's how I feel and not everyone has the same tolerance to cold. Wind speed will also have an impact. I'm from SoCal originally but now live in Kansas and I wear standard cycling gear down to 50 deg. before putting on arm warmers, longs etc.
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for 55 degrees [DogsAreOut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DogsAreOut wrote:
Shorts and a shirt. If you have some sleeves (removable) maybe roll them up on your handle bars before the swim.

Yeah I have some arm warmers I was just worried about how long it might take to get them on being wet still in transition. Hadn't thought to roll them on while out on the bike leg.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a Sprint. Even if cold when youb start the bike it will be over fast.
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for 55 degrees [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrierinKC wrote:
If it's 55 air temp at race start then by the time you get out of the water it will be a little warmer. You'll be fine with standard tri kit you wear. Of course that's how I feel and not everyone has the same tolerance to cold. Wind speed will also have an impact. I'm from SoCal originally but now live in Kansas and I wear standard cycling gear down to 50 deg. before putting on arm warmers, longs etc.

Yeah I would say I normally wait till around 50ish before using arm & leg warmers on a normal bike ride. I just didn't know the impact of coming out from the swim still wet and it is right there close to the temperatures when I start wearing warmers. It's just normally not an issue this time of year so haven't had the dilemma before

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week in Madison, AM temps were in the same range. I was prepared (and even put on) to wear arm warmers coming out if transition. Before I got to the mount line, I knew I wouldn't need them and dumped them w/ a volunteer. And I HATE the cold, so feeling warm is always important to me.

I think you'll be OK with your tri kit, but use arm warmers if you think you'll need them.

ETA: use cheap knee high tube socks as an option. Cut-off the toes and roll them up, waiting for you in transition. Slide them on your wrists and then roll them up once you get going. Easier to pull up than regular arm warmers and you can dump them easily if you don't need them w/o losing a bunch of $$.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Last edited by: Power13: Sep 13, 14 7:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leave them on your bike rolled up - if you need them, roll them up your arms. If not, just let them stay there. The aero drag wont off set the shivers if you need them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd just go with what you have. I generally will not start putting on gear unless it is that temp and raining. In a sprint you are going to be going full gas anyway. You probably won't even notice the temp.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a wetsuit legal HIM last year. Looking back, the low was 49, mean was 52 and a high of 59. I came out of the water pretty chilled and wiped down my arms and legs. A friend didn't waste the time and we both were comfy pretty quick once you start pedaling. Now, if there is some heavy wind, that may change things.

Just because it is a sprint, I wouldn't be so quick to just 'tough it out'. If you are shivering hard, it is well worth the 30 seconds to do a quick dry-off or put on arm warmers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the exact same position as the OP and see myself with 3 options:
1) Arm warmers (cut off socks) rolled up and put on wrist in t1. Pulled into place on bike. 2) Long sleeved, compression (it's tight) shirt under tri top the entire race. I imagine it would be dry 20 min. into the bike split. 3) Put on a cap and loose long sleeved shirt in t2.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced today in 45 degree temps and a bit of rain. Wore my tri suit and just put a plastic bag under the front of my jersey. Kept the cold out on the ride. Arms were fine and didn't wear arm warmers. Took the bag out as I exited T2. It works perfect. You can also cut one of those foil blankets they give out at races to fit perfectly if you want. Today I just used the bag they gave me at check in.

Good luck with the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spread out a plastic bag in the front of your shirt in T1......remove if you don't need it and dump at aid station.
Last edited by: micaza75: Sep 13, 14 16:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crap. My race is going to be a 44º at start.

For those that have used a plastic bag tucked under tri top. Doesn't it pick up and hold some water (both during the swim and coming out of the water)?

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: What to wear for 55 degrees [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rip it in half so it is essentially a big piece of plastic. If you are concerned turn the bag upside down, gravity will help:-)
Quote Reply