Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What should I do about my sky high heart rate?!?!
Quote | Reply
When I am biking, my heart rate seems pretty normal compared to everyone else. But when I start running, it goes sky high, but I still feel pretty relaxed! I am 30 years old and my resting heart rate is close to 70bpm(I know that's high) and my maximum heart rate is 198bpm. I am training for Ironman Louisville so I am concerned about crashing when I get into the run. Should I just not worry about heart rate and run at a relaxed pace? What should I do?!
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do about my sky high heart rate?!?! [bcoker6885] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcoker6885 wrote:
When I am biking, my heart rate seems pretty normal compared to everyone else. But when I start running, it goes sky high, but I still feel pretty relaxed! I am 30 years old and my resting heart rate is close to 70bpm(I know that's high) and my maximum heart rate is 198bpm. I am training for Ironman Louisville so I am concerned about crashing when I get into the run. Should I just not worry about heart rate and run at a relaxed pace? What should I do?!

Provide some actual information:
- How are you measuring your heart rate?
- How (when) do you measure your resting heart rate?
- When did you measure your "maximum" heart rate?
- What is your heart rate on the bike?

What is your heart rate on a 40k bike TT? On a 10k run race?

It's possible that your HRM is locking onto your running cadence; it may also be that the strap is damaged and you're not getting good data on your run; or any number of other issues. If you think your HR is unexpectedly high and it's for real, then you should consult a cardiologist, not ST.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do about my sky high heart rate?!?! [bcoker6885] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also fall into the boat of higher HR on runs, averaged 184 for a half marathon i ran in april. To start off with i wouldn't compare yourself to others, especially in terms of being able to finish lou. The advice i received when i did v02 max / lactate threshold testing last year was HR zones are very personal. The difference between us normal folks and elite athletes, is elites have a very low basement and high ceiling (low resting high peak). Again advice i was given, but seeing as this guy's wife was an olympian who he coached figured wasn't a dumbass, but could be wrong. I would find out your zones and use those as baselines, but for myself my HR can vary as high as 20BPM doing the same pace on the same course depending on time of day/temperature/nutrition/work stress/etc.

My morning runs will always have the lowest avg HR, whereas i have found myself walking out the door in the evening sometimes with a resting HR >100 and with such i know my avg hr will be higher for that run. I thinking learning to run off of feel in combination of HR is the best approach, but that is my 2 cents.

If you want to compare, I am 28, resting hr around 68, peak of 205. Raced a 6hr MTB in october with an avg HR of 177. 3 years ago my resting HR was closer to 84 so i have seen it drop as fitness has improved. I look at my heart as a 6 banger running on nitrious oxide, some day may move to an 8 cyclinder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are running with the heart rate monitor on, try running without it. Just go by feel. I hate running with the hr monitor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an insanely high maximum HR, at age 38 I can hit 210 if I'm nailing it in a fell race or something. I've hit 214 before, albeit a couple of years back. This is genuine, and repeatable, and in line with my perception of scale for RPE vs HR. Difference for me is I also have a low resting HR, at about 44.

I don't worry about it, I just work out my zones based on heart rate reserve (the Karvonen method) and just keep a bit of an eye on it, more so in full distance racing as it is easy to get excited coming out of T2 high fiving your friends and family!

Probably the best thing you can do at IM Louisville is run slower than you think you want to at the start of the marathon, and just be a little bit watchful over your HR.

But don't fret, even with your resting HR being higher, your zone 2 rates are still lower than mine and I'm knocking on forty.

Edit to add: if I was going to worry about anything in your case, it would be the resting rate. That might be quite high for an endurance athlete, if you have some years and fitness under your belt. Your max HR is nothing surprising, don't get caught up in this 220-age bollocks. But as above don't listen to us, if it is on your mind you should see your doc.
Last edited by: knighty76: May 22, 15 3:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe nothing. My HR is in the low 160s when I am running outside, lower on a treadmill, and that is medium effort. If you ever see DCRAINMAKER's stuff his HR is in the 165 range. I wouldn't necessarily call him elite but he is pretty dang good.
Quote Reply
Re: What should I do about my sky high heart rate?!?! [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
I have an insanely high maximum HR, at age 38 I can hit 210 if I'm nailing it in a fell race or something. I've hit 214 before, albeit a couple of years back. This is genuine, and repeatable, and in line with my perception of scale for RPE vs HR. Difference for me is I also have a low resting HR, at about 44.

I don't worry about it, I just work out my zones based on heart rate reserve (the Karvonen method) and just keep a bit of an eye on it, more so in full distance racing as it is easy to get excited coming out of T2 high fiving your friends and family!

Probably the best thing you can do at IM Louisville is run slower than you think you want to at the start of the marathon, and just be a little bit watchful over your HR.

But don't fret, even with your resting HR being higher, your zone 2 rates are still lower than mine and I'm knocking on forty.

Edit to add: if I was going to worry about anything in your case, it would be the resting rate. That might be quite high for an endurance athlete, if you have some years and fitness under your belt. Your max HR is nothing surprising, don't get caught up in this 220-age bollocks. But as above don't listen to us, if it is on your mind you should see your doc.

I use the Garmin 910xt and I set the heart rate zones to my heart rate reserve. This could be a game changer! My heart rate zones are way different!....Also I checked my resting heart rate when I was actually resting and it was 63bpm.

So my question now is do I train in the new zones the same as I was doing with the old zones that were just based off 220-age?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcoker6885 wrote:
Verify your equipment is OK.

Do the run and bike field LT tests and find out what your HR zones really are then use them appropriately if HR tracking is the metric being used Read this on field LT testing.

This page has a downloadable spreadsheet for the HR zone calculations using the above field LT test method results.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcoker6885 wrote:

Run by feel. My HR goes up, up, up when I run or ride MTB. I've stopped using HR at all and just run by feel. It's surprisingly easy to judge your pace just by listening to your body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How often do you run?

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply