Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What should I ask my doctor...
Quote | Reply
I saw a thread a long time ago, but damned if I can find it now...

I've got a regular checkup coming up, the first since I moved to iron-distance racing (the last checkup was 3 yrs ago). Are there any particular things I should ask him to check on that he might not usually do? Triathlon-related? I know I'm a ridiculous outlier in terms of time spent doing cardio, so I doubt he sees many like me and I want to help him (ie me) out.

I'm a guy staring down the last few weeks of his 30s. I have no complaints aside from being a slow swimmer, not enough watts on the bike and a bit of a chicken$hit on the aero bars when it gets gusty like last weekend at Barrelman, but that's not really his problem is it?

What I remember from the old thread was ECG, visual check for skin problems, full blood work.

Thanks for any/all suggestions.

Munq
Quote Reply
Re: What should I ask my doctor... [Darkwing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there is anything funny in the resting ECG, even stuff they normally dismiss, you may want a treadmill stress test. This is just to keep you out of the category of people with undiagnosed heart conditions that end up with very sad things happening during the swim in their nth triathlon. But most likely they will look at you and see that you're not overweight and you exercise and will be out of the room before you know it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be pretty surprised if an ECG was ordered for a checkup and unless you are complaining of chest pain or irregular heartbeat. If you are not symptomatic then it will most probably be a waste of time.
Quote Reply
Re: What should I ask my doctor... [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the cool thing to do for triathletes was to ask for a stress test, so they could check for heart issues before you died in the swim or run?

/is not cool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask him how to swim.
I say tongue and cheek, Is there a family history of anything that occurs before 50? Heart, lung, prostate, colon, vision(glaucoma). If you are asymptomatic and have no other risk factors, there's not much statistically that's going to be of any value. Maybe cholesterol levels, cbc. Even a psa is no longer indicated. Im not sure you are really any different than any decently fit individual aged 40. I call bs on all the "ironman " athletes who claim that they are at higher risk for svt, atrial tach etc... because other "ironman" athletes like stadler, welch etc... have heart issues. Let me know when you start hitting 30- 40 hours a week training and pushing hard in races and then we'll talk. Um, that 10 to 15 hours a week and 11 hour ironman isn't really as hard as you want to believe.
Just because someone writes an article in the wsj that endurance athletes are at risk for heart issues doesn't mean theres any proof for your typical Mdot calved yahoo. I read it and call bs. As a doctor Id recommend stop recovering with beer, eat some greens once in a while and spend your money on swim lessons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darkwing wrote:

I've got a regular checkup coming up, the first since I moved to iron-distance racing (the last checkup was 3 yrs ago). Are there any particular things I should ask him to check on that he might not usually do? Triathlon-related? I know I'm a ridiculous outlier in terms of time spent doing cardio, so I doubt he sees many like me and I want to help him (ie me) out.

I'm a guy staring down the last few weeks of his 30s. I have no complaints aside from being a slow swimmer, not enough watts on the bike and a bit of a chicken$hit on the aero bars when it gets gusty like last weekend at Barrelman, but that's not really his problem is it?

What I remember from the old thread was ECG, visual check for skin problems, full blood work.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/2014/08/31/early-detection-for-cancer-risky-business/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darkwing wrote:

don't ask for anti-aging meds. ;)

the big thing my doc looks at is my skin...he's an avid triathlete and runner. runs Boston every year and has been to Kona a few times. tells me to wear a hat more b/c the hair up there ain't as thick as it used to be!
Quote Reply
Re: What should I ask my doctor... [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asymptomatic with no family history concerns is a good way to describe me. And the good fortune to be able to say that is not lost on me. Thanks for the comments... always looking for ways to be proactive.

Does 1:10 at Tremblant this year make me a BOFOMOP swimmer? I feel bad for the guys at the front - no low-hanging fruit left.

Cheers!

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darkwing wrote:
Asymptomatic with no family history concerns is a good way to describe me. And the good fortune to be able to say that is not lost on me. Thanks for the comments... always looking for ways to be proactive.

Does 1:10 at Tremblant this year make me a BOFOMOP swimmer? I feel bad for the guys at the front - no low-hanging fruit left.

Cheers!

The doctor is for sick people. You're not sick.

You are being proactive by healthy living. That's 99.9% of the ballgame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's from a few years ago, but this could be helpful from BenGreenfieldFitness- what to ask your doctor from an athletes stand point, also from the site but a newer (probably more relevant) one.

If you have some time check them out. Keep tabs on how you're feeling overall- basically what others have said.
Quote Reply
Re: What should I ask my doctor... [QueenCity1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QueenCity1 wrote:
It's from a few years ago, but this could be helpful from BenGreenfieldFitness- what to ask your doctor from an athletes stand point, also from the site but a newer (probably more relevant) one.

If you have some time check them out. Keep tabs on how you're feeling overall- basically what others have said.

Thanks - that's pretty comprehensive. Interesting read/listen.

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope it gives you some ideas. Always a good reminder for us to let your doc know how you train/eat, because they're comparing your results to the standardized norm, but let's be real, athletes are NOT in the 'norm bell curve', there are going to be markers that will be off given your training and physiological response. What's off to them may not be off for you, or the other way around.

Train on!
Last edited by: QueenCity1: Sep 26, 14 9:37
Quote Reply