Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics?
Quote | Reply
i'd just like to know the landscape, so that i stay on top of things, and so that i know how to construct a proper set of polls.

for swimming, are you using anything to automatically, electronically record your workouts and if so, how do you prefer it? attached to your goggles or on your wrist?

for cycling, is your preference a typical head unit, like a garmin edge 500, shimano flight deck, powertap joule? or a watch, like a garmin 920xt? or a heads up display, like a recon jet?

cycling, i assume it's a watch.

really what i'm looking for now are platforms. i'm interested in the style of display you're interested in, and also in what sports you'd like the various displays to work. for example you might say you want a wristwatch to record and output your workouts for both swim and run, but you won't use that for a bike, instead you'll use a head unit. or you might say you want a heads up display for bike and run but something else (or nothing at all) for the swim.

what say you all?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimming - nothing
bike - edge 500
run - forerunner 220

I prefer sport specific computers, rather than one that attempts to do them all.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great. and when you do answer if there's something you wish you had but you don't have, i'd like to hear about that too. for example i have an edge 500 but i just don't use it, i prefer a larger display. the edge is just too small for my crappy eyes. so i'm considering a joule or something with a larger display. so, in my case i'd say "head unit" for cycling but i'd add that i prefer larger displays rather than smaller.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suunto Ambit 2 and Movescount for everything - its paired with footpad, power, gps etc

I suppose if I were interested in the last detail, there are better solutions to provide an accurate reflection of say left / right balance in power, but given I'm not going to invest the time in worry or attempting to balance them out, the number is the number and the watch is sufficient to meet all my needs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim, nothing.

Bike, if I ever get a PM, the head unit I want doesn't actually exist that I'm aware of. I want something very small which will only display one field at a time in large, easy to read numbers. I want to be able to get it to stay on that field, or auto-rotate through 2,3, or 4 different fields at a predetermined interval. I want excellent battery life as well.

Run, I don't have anything at the moment, but the way I used my old Garmin 305 was that I never actually looked at it in training. I just used it as a data log. So again, small and unobtrusive is the order of the day.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim - Garmin Swim for training. It's more of a black box though than something I actively monitor.

Bike - Edge 500. This may be a feature now, but I'm not aware if it is: when you try to sync a PM or a HRM and it detects multiple sources. I wish you could see what the values of those sources are to determine which one is yours.

Run - Garmin FR10. Pace and time is all I need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim - pace clock in the pool/910xt outside
Bike/run - 910xt

Prefer to have everything in one unit to avoid hassle.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics? [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so, this is interesting. just to be clear, you look at your wristwatch for your bike metrics? speed, time, power, cadence?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Swim, nothing.

Bike, if I ever get a PM, the head unit I want doesn't actually exist that I'm aware of. I want something very small which will only display one field at a time in large, easy to read numbers. I want to be able to get it to stay on that field, or auto-rotate through 2,3, or 4 different fields at a predetermined interval. I want excellent battery life as well.

Run, I don't have anything at the moment, but the way I used my old Garmin 305 was that I never actually looked at it in training. I just used it as a data log. So again, small and unobtrusive is the order of the day.

I think an Edge 500 will display a single field and rotate through the screens.
Last edited by: Zenmaster28: Mar 26, 15 12:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Floating - watch
Bike - Garmin 705 - Time, distance, speed, average speed, watts, average watts.
Run - Garmin 920 - Time, distance, pace, average pace.

I can't think of anything else I would want, but I'm always open to a new idea.

The 920 does seem to have "wasted space" where they put Garmin and also the blue color ring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming: Watch....would like a HUD chrono.
Something like this:

Cycling: Head unit....would love HUD glasses.

Running: GPS watch....HUD only if it was super light.

For all of these, wifi upload (strava, whaoo, etc.) is ideal.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure they will do that, but I want small. Like, really small.

This is the Edge 500. I want it to be half that size, and make the numbers bigger than the "time" display shown. Basically a watch face with big numbers. I'd actually be OK with it being a watch.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha, I missed the small part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racing - 910XT for all to record data results. Also use a Bontrager Node that shows HR, time, and cadence attached to the bike but wear the 910 XT from start to finish.

Swim Training - 910XT to record and pace clock to monitor.

Bike Training - 910XT and Bontrager Node if outside. FR70 and Bontrager Node if inside. I only really monitor speed, cadence and HR since I don't have a power meter. I use the FR70 inside so the 910 doesn't keep looking for GPS.

Run Training - 910XT if outside. FR70 if inside. I monitor time and HR. I use the FR70 inside so the 910 doesn't keep looking for GPS.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same answer across the board:

Use: 910xt
Would like: 920xt

Preferably all black. Can you make that happen?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim: 910xt for recording and figuring rest, sometimes use a tempotrainer pro if I want to make sure i pace consistently
Bike: 910xt for recording, powertap joule (non-gps) purely for display purposes while riding so I dont have to awkwardly look at my watch (for budgetary reasons, would prefer a cycling computer to substitute the 910 but dont want to spend the money on it)
Run: 910xt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming - Watch on the deck because I'm too blind to see the pace clock
Bike/Run - 310xt. I use the quick release so its on the stem when I ride.

AP Racing Crew|Cupcake Cartel|Picky Bar AmBadassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming: pace clock
Cycling: Basic cycling computer on trainer for indoor use. Chronograph (watch) for outdoors.
Running: Same chronograph as above or just look at kitchen clock before heading out the door.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my 910 for everything, training and racing.

I would LOVE to have a HUD for the bike though. It would be awesome to constantly see my watts. That is one of the great things about Zwift. I can see my W, HR, cadence, time, etc w/o having to look down at my tiny watch display.

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster" - Greg LeMond
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
so, this is interesting. just to be clear, you look at your wristwatch for your bike metrics? speed, time, power, cadence?

Yep, turn it inside on my wrist so I can easily check the screen (either every 5 min, or if monitoring the effort as needed)

For racing - 5s power/lap or normalized power and, sometimes, hr.

For training (inside) - usually hr, cadence and time, unless doing intervals or targeting specific watts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like a HUD for all 3 sports.

Currently I use a 920xt for pool swimming and running and a Garmin 510 as a head unit for cycling. I'm expecting my Recon Jet in the next few weeks for cycling; maybe I can use that for running as well. For Open water I've got a production IOLite and my 920, although the water up here is nowhere warm enough to use either one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim - 920xt - Distance, Time, SWOF (in the pool) also the Drill Timer function is great to use too.
Bike - Edge 500 and/or 920xt - Time, Power, NP, Cadence, Distance
Run - 920xt - Pace, Avg Pace, Time

I'm really happy with my setup overall. Some type of HUD would be awesome for cycling but there's no way I'd rear the Recon Jet. That whole setup would need to be much smaller.
Last edited by: skullyrush: Mar 27, 15 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm out with the roadie folks, it's an Edge 800. If I plan on running off the bike after that I might run my 920XT at the same time on a brick workout. On the TT bike it's the 920XT only, same with swimming. I'd LOVE a very low profile, easy to use heads up display that worked in my glasses on the bike though. The ability to nav an open water course without sighting via a simple visual goggle based display would be awesome too...but, again, without any bulk involved.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For swimming and running, I use the Suunto Ambit 3, and for cycling a Powertap Joule. I find the size of both units to be great, as the numbers on them are large enough to read under stress and under water. I can't get behind using the watch on the bike, I just don't want to twist my arm like that to look at it, I prefer to just glance down, hit my numbers, and come back up with my focus as opposed to moving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

I also rely solely on my watch for bike (and run) metrics. I usually ride/run the same courses so know the length. I use online mapping programs to determine the approx. length of new courses.

Rely on the wall clock during the swim. Use to also rely on the Timex IM watch during the swim, but the things kept fogging up.

I'd like to get to the point where I don't care about any metrics during training sessions. Just swim, ride or run for the fun of it. Who cares how far I've gone (or not gone)? I'm not there yet.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Mar 26, 15 14:04
Quote Reply

Prev Next