Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What are the metrics you check after every workout?
Quote | Reply
Just curious to know what is the first metrics you check after each workout.

Obviously some workouts have different objectives, but what is your go to data?

For me: swimming is focused on increasing stroke rate so right now I look at pace vs stroke rate. Biking I look at cadence vs power. I come from a mountain bike racing background so I still have the mountain bike cadence (80). Power vs interval goal is another. Running is all about cadence and pace. Especially on speed workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the metrics you check after every workout? [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming - nothing. Just glad to be done and don't want to think about it again.

Bike - avg power, n power, TSS and IF. Will check Strava to see how my segments compared to previous times I did the segment. I don't really care how I've done against other people, though.

Run - usually only look if I've done speed work to see how/if the pace tailed off toward the later intervals.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Last edited by: BionicMan: Jul 25, 14 6:15
Quote Reply
Re: What are the metrics you check after every workout? [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim is overall time vs distance (pace)
Bike, no powermeter so average speed and HR
Run, average HR, I don't focus on pace much anymore except for speed workouts.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: What are the metrics you check after every workout? [BionicMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim - est. TSS. Evaluate how I felt overall.
Bike - TSS, VI, AP.... Pace, but only if it was similar condition and bike set-up to my last time.... on the same route and look at anything I might have changed (Pacing, equipment, etc)
Run - TSS, ave. pace, ave HR. If a key workout for the week, I might dive in and look at average paces and cadence over certain segments.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most important metric for me is GMR. Girlfriend Mood Ratio. If it's a high 8-9 then I know I'm good for another workout tomorrow, maybe even a long ride. 10 and I'm entering my next full distance race. If it's in the range 4-6 then I might be going shopping instead, 3 or under and I'm "overtrained" and probably need a good weeks' rest block.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the metrics you check after every workout? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Most important metric for me is GMR. Girlfriend Mood Ratio. If it's a high 8-9 then I know I'm good for another workout tomorrow, maybe even a long ride. 10 and I'm entering my next full distance race. If it's in the range 4-6 then I might be going shopping instead, 3 or under and I'm "overtrained" and probably need a good weeks' rest block.

It's funny you say this. Mine just asked if I wanted to do lunch today. My first thought was dammit, I was going to do a long ride. I still could but we are going to Logans so a bigger than normal lunch, need some time to digest. I will be pushing 3ish before I get out so I have to cut it short because I will not ride in 5pm traffic on a Friday.

I thought about saying no and I know she'd understand but she already puts up with so much. Maybe I'll just run later and move the bike to Saturday.

Quote | Reply
Beer in the fridge. Check!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim - I check to see if I actually swam and it wasn't just a dream. Damn it's hard for me to ever want to swim. Overall distance of workout/Main Set intervals
Bike - Distance, AP, NP, TSS, Avg Speed
Run - Distance/Pace, any main parts of the run and if they went well - Did I have a build 5k in the middle,10k @ hm pace etc.

I do like to check weight a few times per week also. I have been heavier this year and motivation to get on the scale has definately gone down.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strava trophies. /pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time in the pool/saddle/running. That's all I check. The other metrics I check in real time while training (Garmin) to make sure they are where I want them.

Exception to that rule are running MAF tests, FTP bike tests, 100y swim tests. Then I will look at the data more closely. But really on 90%+ of days I just make sure I'm hitting my HR or pace or speed numbers while training, and I make sure I'm out there for a set amount of time. That's it.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the metrics you check after every workout? [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
Strava trophies. /pink

This. Minus the pink.

Then, how many cold beers are in the fridge.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did I get out of bed to do the workout? Check or no check.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:
Just curious to know what is the first metrics you check after each workout.

Obviously some workouts have different objectives, but what is your go to data?

For me: swimming is focused on increasing stroke rate so right now I look at pace vs stroke rate. Biking I look at cadence vs power. I come from a mountain bike racing background so I still have the mountain bike cadence (80). Power vs interval goal is another. Running is all about cadence and pace. Especially on speed workouts.

Bike = avg hr/avg power.

Run = avg hr/avg pace at that hr, cadence, and how steady I ran through the workout. Then I reflect on how I felt throughout the work to try to learn more about my body and what different PRE's and cadences actually feel like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim: none
Bike: Avg heart rate and Avg power
Run: Avg heart rate and Avg pace
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim: Distance/Average Pace (which is irrelevant in reality)
Bike: Avg Watts/NP/Time -- what my avg watt was for each interval but I know that during the ride
Run: Pace / HR if I wear it
Quote Reply
Re: What are the metrics you check after every workout? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:

Holy shit...this...exactly.

Plus, Strava KOM's and avg power, HR, speed, pace. If I swim Open Water I look at avg speed, but in the pool I don't have any metrics to check.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the metrics you check after every workout? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Beer in the fridge. Check!

Holy shit.. this! No pink... this is absolutely accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only check metrics when I'm reading the results after a race.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim - total metres for the month and projected metres to end of month. Anything else is only relevant during the workout.

How much cash is in my wallet for post workout snacks.

I don't bike or run anymore.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What are the metrics you check after every workout? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a business in the front party in the back kind of guy so for me it's like this

[BUSINESS]
First and foremost: Session TSS, Weekly TSS.
Secondly: Max Heart Rate
Thirdly: Stroke Rate/Run Cadence/Pedal Cadence
Lastly: Calories burned

[PARTY]
Strava Segments/Garmin Segments
PRs/Challenge Progress

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just time and distance and speed when relevant for all of SBR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
these days i'm mostly just running.
i'm pretty basic - distance, average pace, total elevation gain.
if it was a track workout, my splits (duh).
and yeah, i'll peak at the KOMs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim: Time, distance, pace.
Bike: Time, distance, ave speed, ave. Heart rate.
Run: TIme, distance, pace per mile, ave heart rate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question and great respnses. I thought the Guy with GMR I think that's what he called it, Girlfriend Mood Ratio. Then the dude who said ck the fridge for beer one upped it!

I check my RHR and BP every morning as well as weight. It's been very useful not only to get a reference on training/over training but with the baseline it also is a good indicator of when some illness is coming on.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: What are the metrics you check after every workout? [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good responses. I should have included TSS as well.

Prev Next