Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What Do Finish Lines Mean to You?
Quote | Reply
The thread about "Remembering when Ironman was a big deal", got me thinking about finish lines in general. I am lucky, I get to stand there, microphone in hand, and watch every finisher at every event I work at, cross that finish line. I never grow tired of it. The range of emotion, is extraordinary. I get to see it all first hand, up close and personal.

http://stevefleck.blogspot.ca/...08/finish-lines.html

What do Finish Lines mean to you?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: What Do Finish Lines Mean to You? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toilet, Oreos, Beer. In that order.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WooHoo! Where's the beer tent?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard work, dedication, sacrifice, new goals, backlog of honey-do chores
Quote Reply
Re: What Do Finish Lines Mean to You? [cajnrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You have no idea how high I can fly." - Michael Scott
Quote Reply
Re: What Do Finish Lines Mean to You? [triclimbski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time to puke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends. After my first triathlon a year removed from being a smoker and obese it was very emotional as I reflected on the hard work I went through to get there.

Since I have progressed from a finisher to a "racer" (I hesitate to use that term as I'm still a novce) it has become a relief from the pain I embrace while racing, an end to the burning cramping and fatigue. It is the place I want to beat you to with everything my body has to offer on that day. It is where I stand after I finish so I can watch the guys 20 years younger than me who are content to finish and I hope they get the same satisfaction I did when I crossed it the first time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much. At first, it meant something. Now its really about the journey and not the destination for me.
Quote Reply
Re: What Do Finish Lines Mean to You? [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer: Sorry if this comes across as arrogant. I'm not saying that completing a triathlon or other race is meaningless.

Same here more or less. I really enjoy training and racing but I've never been really exuberant or celebrating crossing the finish line (not even smiling according to photos). It's something I've wondered about and I figure it's just in my nature to be a bit reserved in that department. Partly it might also be from competing in many different sports in the past with a relatively high degree of success meaning, unfortunately, I just don't get such a rush from simply finishing as it doesn't feel like I'm doing anything beyond what I'm capable of doing. Maybe I would be more excited at the time if I raced with a watch and knew my time (assuming the race went well) but the finish line itself doesn't mean much to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The finish line is the end to my day's suffering and the start of the triumph of my day. It's a good time. It's also where I enjoy some bagels, oranges, cookies, and a Coke. Beer is especially appreciated as well :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goal is always growth... well technically shrinking is still my goal, but by growth i mean getting better. Everytime i cross that finish line I do it to be better then i was yesterday. It's about winning, even if im only racing agaisnt myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The end of my race? Time to pack my sh-t and go home??

Quote | Reply
The finish line answers all the questions I've been asking myself during my training and planning. Specifically, are the choices and decisions I make during my training going to get me to where I want to be at the end of the race. The finish line answers all those questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on my finishing time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The finish line means to me that I can press stop on my watch, sit down, and practice not moving for a while.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
usually happiness, sometimes disappointment. and always relief - the effort pain has ended and the post-race aches haven't started :-)

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get my medal, get some water & a little snack, and try to start a conversation with the ponytail I've been chasing for the past half hour

Also, time to brush my teeth; that stale Gatorade taste is nasty

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: What Do Finish Lines Mean to You? [georgereid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me there is nothing like the feeling of finally completing the day. I tell myself the entire way that "the fastest way for this to end is to go faster" and when I hit the line, hear my name and the crowd cheering for me, a complete stranger, time freezes. It's only for the slightest of moments but that moment is something I relive after each event. To me there is nothing more enjoyable than racing and having nobody hold you back in regards to how far you can push yourself.

I think you just inspired me to aim to race K-Town next year. I had no idea of the history of that race!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a racer, not a finisher. So it depends largely on how well I finished.
Quote Reply
Re: What Do Finish Lines Mean to You? [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daremo wrote:
The end of my race? Time to pack my sh-t and go home??
There you go.

Quote | Reply
means the easy fun part of the week is over, now have to go and pretend to be an adult for days on end..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beer, pizza, training peaks review of watts.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Satisfaction and gratitude.
Quote Reply
Re: What Do Finish Lines Mean to You? [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CSH,

Great post - best so far. I was getting chills reading it!

Thanks for sharing.

Yes . . there is extraordinary history in Kingston. Before Ironman Canada( Penticton) became bigger towards the very end of the 1980's, Kingston may have been the biggest races in Canada, and perhaps one of the bigger ones in North America!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next