Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit recommendations (again)
Quote | Reply
I have been researching wetsuits for the upcoming season and have narrowed my list to the T1 (Desoto) and the Piel. My races this year are mostly sprints with a hope of grabbing some hardware. I am severely aquatically challenged and need absolutely every possible advantage in and coming out of the water. I have read the rave reviews for the T1, but I am concerned about removing it quickly, thus my interest in the Piel. Any Piel users out there? Any problems with shoulder restriction or stiff rubber in the upper extremities? I live in the midwest and have decided a full suit is the way to go. Thanks in advance and happy 2003.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit recommendations (again) [Triman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Below is the recent slowtwitch thread I recently posted my opinion regarding the T1 and the Peil:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...rum.cgi?post=968#968

This thread may help answer your question (lot's of other opinions as well).

If you want the quick (but incomplete) answer to your question. IMHO, the Piel is the wetsuit of choice for sprints. And, yes - it is stiffer than the T1 but the effort (and the resulting speed) from removal is a plus for shorter distance tris. That is not to say the T1 is not a good wetsuit. Just that the T1 is better suited for longer tris.

Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit recommendations (again) [Triman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think fit should be the primary determining factor in your decision. Try on a few different suits and be sure you get them on correctly.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit recommendations (again) [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know you didnt ask about other wetsuits, but last yr i bought the Orca Predator 2, after wearing an older style and cheaper QR suit. This top of the line Orca was amazing. The first time i used it was in open water, i was only going to swim for like 2k but i ended up swimming 4.5k cause i didnt want to stop. Seriously, it is awesome. Just go to a shop and try it on. No neck chafe---and if you look at some of my races from when i got it August of 2002 I had some of the fastest transition times in my age group and at Big Kahuna the fastest T1 and T2 times out all age groupers (let me be proud of my accomplishments). So the suit is defintely not slow in the transitions. And im not supported/sponsored by anyone, especially Orca.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit recommendations (again) [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i just got the t1 for xmas and i have practiced taking it off dry.... takes a bit to get used to, but if you practice you will have it off in no more than 5 seconds more than the piel. If you never plan on morving up to oly. then go for the piel, but even if you were to go for 1 or 2 go for the t1 because its not going to lose the race for you in the transition, even in a sprint. just my $.02. BTW i have never swam in either, just using research that says the t1 is faster in the water.
Quote Reply