Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked...
Quote | Reply
A while ago I posted a thread asking for insight into weight loss, calorie monitoring, etc. As is typical, you guys were nice enough to offer some very insightful replies and thoughts.

Some of the ideas were practical and I used them, some of them wouldn't fit into my daily routine. With that in mind, here is what I've done:
  • All junk food is gone. That was surprisingly easy. I eliminated cookies, candy, ice cream, etc. The one exception was a scoop of ice cream ate in Paris last week- you're only in Paris once in a while...
  • More frequent meals, about four "snakcish" meals a day following a fairly substantial breakfast after our morning workout.
  • I include vegetables to much greater degree now. This part was a bit tricky but the Westborn Furit Market across the street from our new store has steamed vegetables in their deli section so I eat those. They taste awful- like eating mushy plants. Nasty.
  • Greatly reduced portions. I still eat out pretty frequently but the portion size is greatly reduced. At a Mexican restaurant we frequent I no longer get the taco dinner with three tacos and rice, but order one taco by itself and eat guacamole instead of the rice figuring a "good" fat may be better than the carbohydrate in the rice. We eat there about once a week.

Now some of the things I haven't done:
  • For all the banter about keeping a food log, I am not doing that. I may at some point, but it amounts to small steps for me right now.
  • I'm not using any high-tech gadgets to track calories... yet.

And the results after eight total weeks in the preparation phase for 2007 Ford Ironman Wisconsin:

I haven't lost a pound. Matter of fact, I've gained about 7 pounds.

Now, I think part of the reason for this is my current training schedule. The past eight weeks have been a prepatory phase that has been focused on swim technique and endurance (lots of longer, slow swims...) and a lot of strength training. I haven't been on the bike for a couple weeks and my running training has been all preparatory training on the treadmill and stairmaster. I've only done one run outside in the last eight weeks and it was at a 9:00 pace. So, there is a lot of technique and strength stuff going on but no real miles per se', so no weight loss. I figure an increase in lean body mass has resulted in some of the weight gain. I don't think I've gained any fat, but my upper body is bigger- which I didn't really need... But my legs are stronger too after eight weeks in the gym.

So, that's the result after eight weeks of the preparatio phase for the 2007 Ford Ironman Wisconsin Triathlon. Thanks again for all your insights and suggestions.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
    Wow, congrats on implementing a bunch of good changes, epecially this one:
"All junk food is gone. That was surprisingly easy. I eliminated cookies, candy, ice cream, etc."
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you test your bodyfat before beginning? Sounds like you're adding muscle, but can't be sure. It's a common phenomenon when you begin this type of regimen.

I think you should consider the food log and calorie counting, if you really want to see results. You do not have to obsess about the numbers forever, but it will probably be a wake-up call as to where the excess calories are coming from.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [ride 'em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are right about the food log. That is likely to have to happen to accelerate the process and also document better habits. I know my eating patterns are very significantly improved- they were quite poor before. The only thing saving me was a relatively high (for me) training volume.

I didn't know my body fat percentage before I started this, that is to say, when I registered for IM Wisconsin. It was higher than it has been over the previous years though- it didn't take calipers or a test to reveal that. I could see it in the mirror....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pretty quickly discovered that eating that stuff was making me feel rotten. It reslted in blood sugar variations that really induced fatigue-like symptoms and upset my stomach, which is not so good anyway.

The one remaining vice, and this will be a tough one to break, is coffee. I think it is likely I'll have to give it up due to the caffeine and that will be hard...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing to remember, it is not all about weight loss. If you keep following what you have outlined your overall health will improve and your life expectancy will increase.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just my .2cents but the food log is the secret weapon of weight loss, especially if you've ever struggled with weight issues. It applies less to normal weight folks trying to 'lean down' to racing weight. It is SO easy to forget about what you put in your face throughout a busy day. A little 100 cal snack sized bag of fruit snacks can cure a junk food craving (total deprevation just sucks). You might be horrified if you saw the rice/guacamole comparison - the rice has 150 fewer calories and 35 gms less fat per 1 cup serving. I got some software to help me track my log (Fitday and CalorieKing have free trial). It is a large pain in the ass to sit down and log everything until it becomes a habit....but it works. The math don't lie.

I'm fighting this with you - 10 lbs by next season.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why are you "preparing to run" instead of just getting out there and running?

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [GJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. Here are the reasons:
  • Broken back and resulting paralysis. Recovery time- 1 year. (happened about 20 years ago).
  • Six knee surgeries including full ACL replacement (middle third process) and lateral collateral repair.
  • Symptoms of plantar fascitis during latter section of 2006 race season that became significant.

In short, running for me this year has been pretty painful. That has been because of a few factors:
  • I gained weight. Now it feels like my feet are boring holes in the pavement when I run. I hit the ground pretty hard...
  • I think I wasn't in the right shoes- too small and the wrong fit. At least my bike fit right...
  • No lower body weight training to help with the power and shock absorption required for distance running.

So, the prepatory running phase has been intended to do the following:
  • Improve acclimation of soft tissues and connective tissues for running.
  • Improve musculature for run specific movement.
  • Increase core strength.
  • Increase run specific aerobic fitness on treadmill and b running on stairmaster without the stress of foot strike on pavement.

Yesterday we ran easy outside for just under four miles- an experiement more than anything else. I felt pretty darn good. More importantly- today I am not the least bit sore. Encouraging.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [Tightey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,
after your initial post about your weight loss goals, I went back and re-activated my calorieking.com membership. It's amazing how I have slipped since my initial 50 lb loss two years ago. By logging the food, it really helps you see where you are straying. I had snuck about 10 lbs back on since the summer, and logging makes you think about your intake before you shove it in your mouth. (well, sometimes...) Good luck!
BTW - Why so much weight lifting while approaching your race?
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [Tightey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I think you are 100% right about the food log. It holds you accountable.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom - you should join our weekly "Health Challenge" that we have going on. We post our progress every week on a thread that atl_tony starts on Monday. Knowing that I have to report in every week has helped keep me on track (mostly). We also have a wiki where we keep track of our own progress. PM me if you want more details.

As for the coffee, I don't think you need to get off it. As long as you drink in moderation (2 cups or less a day), then there are no health reasons to get off it. In fact, there are several benefits you can derive from drinking a moderate amount of coffee each day. Obviously, you don't want to be drinking the sweetened crap with tons of sugar in it, but if you're talking straight coffee then I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Good luck with your weight loss. I struggle with this every day, but I'm finally starting to see some progress (down 6 lbs since Labor Day).

Dawn
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [ride 'em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine anything that would make me more miserable than a food log. Great if it works for you, but there is no way I could do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Guacamole may be "good fat", but it's still FAT, at 9 cals/g.

If you eat more than just a small amount, you could be inadventantly ingesting several hundred extra cals of fat each time you do that. Calories are calories, and more is MORE in terms of your gut ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Eat brown rice and corn for breakfast and lunch. The calories from these that actually get absorbed are minimal. Lentils are good too.

-- jens

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you get real antsy about knowing about changes in fat free mass, get a resting metabolic rate measurement done. I'd offer to do the measurement myself, but detroit is kind've a haul from here.
Also, you could get a bf% from underwater weighing or such at the local university. Not too expensive and good enough for comparison on your diet "stages".

(i've never been able to stick with a food log, either. Just not that type of person I suppose)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

like you I tend to eat out a lot. One trick I started doing was with any meal that I order, when it arrives I immediately portion it in half and ask for a to go container and pack it up, then eat the other half. With the size of the portions that restaurants serve now, half a plate is usually plenty for one meal. The bonus is that you now also have another meal ready to heat up the next day.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whew, as far as dieting goes (not nutrition), I'm not sure choosing guac over rice was a smart move. TONS of calories in that guacamole. It is the calories that get you.

Like all of the others who suggest it, I will add to the "gotta use a log" chant. You won't believe what you're really eating until you see it on paper.

I would also suggest, if you hate things like a log, weightwatchers.com - their on line food log / points tracker works great for me. I'd never be able to the same with a paper log. Plus, it keeps track of how much you're burning through exercise and you can eat those extra points and still stay on schedule. Doesn't make you feel like you're starving yourself. I lost 12% of my body weight last winter on their plan.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest adding the food log. Yeah, it sucks. But it holds you accountable....its amazing how many calories sneak into your diet when you don't keep track.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found that those awful veggies taste a lot better with a drop or two of Tabasco sauce.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm by no means in the best shape, but I will suggest brown rice and oatmeal. Get a good rice cooker - good ones can prepare both rice and oatmeal and they do it automatically. I set the cooker and presto - oatmeal is ready in the morning - same thing goes for rice. Make sure to get one with a GABA rice setting - see article:

http://www.abc.net.au/...Republish_225249.htm

This works for me because I happen to love rice. If you don't, then obviously this may not. Kudos to you for giving up the junk food - candy is my biggest vice.

Greg Brown

VP-Sales
AEGIS Racing Bicycles USA
44 Elm Street
Camden, ME 04843
(207) 230-2453 - Phone
(207) 249-8482 - Mobile
(207) 230-2453 – Fax
http://www.aegisbicycles.com

At AEGIS we believe that Made in the USA still matters
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
other ok online food logs are fitday.com and Sparkpeople.com. Sparkpeople tries to plan your life but once you get around the foodtracker stuff is pretty good. I have beening using fitday for a week :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest keeping track of the ca... um, never mind.

Don't you dare leave the fattie clu... um, never mind.

Great start Tom. Some people know they have a problem but don't do anything about it. At least you're past that phase and are actively questioning and changing your lifestyle. If that's not a good start, I don't know what is.

It is our nature to dwell on the negative (our failures, current and future obstacles, perceived lack of progress, etc.). And it is not all bad as it is an important driving force. But I want to remind you to celebrate your accomplishments. Be proud of what you did right, and be confident that you will continue to do good work. Remember that it will take time to undo the damage.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, I think the changes you've made are great. It seems like the choices you've made are ones you can stick with for your whole life. I think part of the reason many diets fail is that the changes are just too drastic. I'm sure that once the weather warms up and/or you start spending more time training, the pounds will come off. One small change I make over the winter is that I don't drink gatorade during my hour sessions on the trainer. During peak training I feel like I can always use the extra energy, but when I'm only putting in at most 4 hours a week on the bike, I don't need it. Every little bit counts. Along the same line of thinking, I don't pound down a recovery drink or snack the second I'm done riding like I do in season. Once again, with reduced training, I don't think it's as necessary. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom

You also need to look at Core Stability ~~ not just strength. In my clinic we have taken many triathletes with chronic injuries and taken them back to the simple Core Stability first before core strength and I was surprised at how they were lacking. This winter we are working with 10 triathletes to improve there core stability then strength to get them fast for IMWI '07 all 10 have been top 20 in there respected age groups, with this program we are hoping to keep them injury free and stronger more stable so they can work more effiecent and thus be faster!!! So have some in your area look at your Stability then strength especially with your past injury reports!!

Good Luck and don't forget to stretch also!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next