Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a newly diagnosed knee problem, a bit of bone on bone - a visco supplementation injection, orthotics and strengthening of the knee area is supposed to cure it. Tom, what strengthening excercises are you doing for you legs/knees?

-----------------------------------------------
evanoff.ca

Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [sportmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sportmt,

Do you have a program you could point out on the internet, or reccomend a program as I know my core strength could be much better.

Thanks,

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [flytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if your in michigan the colder weather reduces your metabolism (rate)....something about genes inherited from ice age ancestors. i went through the exact process your doing now and the lbs didn't start to come until march. some of them have come back this winter, but will be gone again in march i suspect.

i use a diet rating index in my training software program...much easier than a food log. daily cells flash red when i'm doing bad, green when good and white when average

-------------------------------------------------
Latest Duct tape QR Superfull fashion model
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it might be good to try determine as best as possible the # of calories you are consuming. I bought one of these gizmos yesterday http://www.amazon.com/Salter-Nutri-Weigh-Dietary-Computer-Model/dp/B000BYAE7Y

I have been surprised at how much i was off on portion size, probably 2X what i needed. I am too trying to lose weight (5-7lbs) but was stuck around 165 (5'9) after losing 15lbs over the past 10 months. The granola i have in the morning was a whopping 500-600 calories, not including milk. Starting today i cut that in 1/2, - it didnt look like much in the bowl but kept me going ok. Same with dinner last night, after checking portion size I had been way off on what i really needed.

I will know in a while the difference but i think this is one major area to look at. I am not the type to keep a log of calories consumed etc but i think something like this is useful to understand how much you really need in a portion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, good luck with the running. Remember, it's all about the run.

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • All junk food is gone. That was surprisingly easy. I eliminated cookies, candy, ice cream, etc.
  • Greatly reduced portions.

I would have to get divorced to make any progress in these two areas. Mrs. Last Tri is blessed with a marvelous metabolism (still 120 lbs at 5'7") and seems to take most of her calories in from dinner on. She eats like a pig at dinner followed by desert followed by a salty snack. It's hell sitting there watching all that consuming going on.

Quote | Reply
Kudos for making healthier choices! That alone is great, even if you don't lose any weight. I hope that you see the weight loss you're looking for soon.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talk to Rich Strauss at cruciblefitness.com. He has a great plan for building your run conditioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Greatly reduced portions"

Tom,

This must be challenging to do in the U.S. What is the deal with the postion sizes at resturants down there? When Miss P and I were down in Madison for IM Wisconsin we found we could actually get one entree and a salad, split both and have a each have a full meal - and she was carbo loading!!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom -

I lost about 18 lbs. a few years ago (180 to 162 @ 5'11" & 40 yrs old) - and unfortunately, keeping a diet log was necessary for a few weeks. I think it really allows you to focus on the best caloric and nutritional bang for the buck while generating that negative 500 kcal a day. I now have a much better sense of what I'm eating, how calorically dense it is, what nutrients are and are not included, etc.

Essentially, I stopped eating anything white (except for after a long or hard training session) and ate much more lean protein and vegetables. As a matter of fact - don't even think about the veggies....eat as much as you'd like (as long as they're not prepared with butter or topped with cheese and so forth).

Plus, when the 4000 calorie long rides start, your pants will be hanging off your hips.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss: What I've done and how it's worked... [flytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out cyclocore.com - he has put together some really good off season training DVDs. I use cyclo-core and cyclo-zen - they have heavy emphasis on core strength and conditioning.

-----------------------------------------------
evanoff.ca

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,
I think what bums people out about losing weight by changing their diet is how long it takes for the changes to start showing up on the scale. When you start doing multiple 3+ hours of workouts/day several times a week you melt pretty quick. I've gone from 190 to 155.

Then you start getting the "Dude, are you starving yourself?" or "You are too skinny." comments. I started replying "Too skinny for an American you mean." but that was a little harsh.

I was injured this summer and stopped working out for 2 months and figured I would put on a bunch of weight but for the first month my weight actually went down despite a rash of "pity eating."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are some pretty impressive results. You may have a second career in weight management.

You could call your new diet the Dearborn Diet.

5 easy steps to weight gain...

How to deprive yourself of comfort food and still gain weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't think I've gained any fat, but my upper body is bigger- which I didn't really need...
But you'll look better for the finish line photos ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next