Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Way to display bike computer metrics on computer/TV - Trainer Road?
Quote | Reply
I've been looking at Trainer Road, and it looks like it takes an ANT+ device, like my power meter, and can display it on my computer (or TV when mirrored). Is there another way to do this? I have a coach, so wouldn't be using the Trainer Road workouts, but those given by my coach.

Is there anyone who uses Trainer Road just to display the workoust their coach has given them? If so, is there any benefit (other than seeing your workout #'s much larger than on something like a Garmin 500)?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Way to display bike computer metrics on computer/TV - Trainer Road? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming you're looking at a computer and not a tablet, Golden Cheetah can do this (and a lot of higher level, post-workout analysis similar to Training Peaks). And it's free. On a tablet/phone, there are loads that can simply display data streams.
Quote Reply
Re: Way to display bike computer metrics on computer/TV - Trainer Road? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could take your coach's workouts and create a custom workout in TR. Takes time, but looks straight-forward. http://support.trainerroad.com/...ing-a-Custom-Workout
Quote Reply
Re: Way to display bike computer metrics on computer/TV - Trainer Road? [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, workout creator in Trainer Road is great and what I use all the time for my coaches workouts. Once you get used to it you can create workouts in just a couple of minutes especially using the copy function.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is almost exactly what I do. My coach gives me my workouts, I put them into the TR workout creator (you can also just do them in a free ride, but that requires you to focus a little more on remembering the workout, rather than just pedaling) and then I do them and send them back to my coach for analyses. I love it because all of my data is in one place, and by having the visuals in front of me, I can do the workouts perfectly and if not, then there's something up with my fitness that needs to be addressed.

-Trevor from TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PerfPro Studio. $99 for a lifetime license rather than a monthly fee. The app is well supported by the developer and fixes/enhancements are released on a regular basis.

I liked Trainer Road when I used it but PerfPro Studio was a better value proposition for my usage patterns.

As mentioned above, Golden Cheetah will also work. It's not quite as user friendly as PerfPro but free is free.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use TrainerRoad with my coaches workouts. I have a Kickr so I use Workout Creator to put my coaches workout into TrainerRoad and then put it into Erg mode. Also, sometimes my coaches workouts are more general prescription (X time averaging in Z3 with X time above and X time below or something similar) and in those cases I will plug in a Sufferfest workout that roughly approximates what he's looking for because it's just more fun than random pedalling.

If you don't have erg mode, you have an Ant+ power meter and are using coached workouts with precise prescriptions of work there is probably not that much benefit to you to TrainerRoad. There are lots of other options already described above.
Quote Reply