Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Watteam Powerbeat
Quote | Reply
Hi, Anyone already got this new powermeter ?Very good price and support Rotor crankarm.
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat [hubert222] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hubert222 wrote:
Hi, Anyone already got this new powermeter ?Very good price and support Rotor crankarm.
It's supposedly being delivered now. Anybody else interested?
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
hubert222 wrote:

Does that mean it's being delivered to you today, or that they are shipping now?
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
JSully wrote:
hubert222 wrote:

Does that mean it's being delivered to you today, or that they are shipping now?
shipping, according to an email I got. I haven't ordered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I received mine as part of the first preorder shipment. Installation was easy - the most frustrating and time-consuming part of it was getting my G-D*** pedals off (how embarrassing). I did an initial calibration, but haven't been able to really try it out as things were busy and now I'm out of town. The fit and finish of both the packaging as well as the final product are very nice, and support has been great! I will likely get a second one for my road bike. I'll try to post some more specifics once I've got it dialed in and accumulated some experience with the unit, unless someone else does so first.
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat [tykerock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please do!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the most frustrating and time-consuming part of it was getting my G-D*** pedals off (how embarrassing).

But did you ruin your cranks while you were doing this? I ruined mine while taking off my pedals to install a new cadence magnet.

Can you give us an update now that you've had your Powerbeats for a couple of weeks?
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha, no I didn't ruin my cranks, just my mood. I've been out of town for a while and doing other stuff, so other than screwing around with calibrations, I've had one trainer ride/spin with the Powerbeats on. For some reason, I had a hard time getting them calibrated - it just took a bunch of times repeating the procedure until we got numbers that looked appropriate and satisfied my approximate sense of power output. Support was great throughout and I got consistent quick and useful replies when I had questions.
Compared to the Computrainer I was hooked up to, numbers didn't always correlate exactly, but they are measuring 2 different things, so I wasn't too surprised. I had 3 second smoothing turned on, so that might have had an effect. I don't have access to stored information from the Computrainer, so I can't compare graphs side by side. The left-right balance seemed accurate based on perception.
So far, I am satisfied and am looking forward to getting more experience with the units. I will likely get another setup for my road bike.
I think DC Rainmaker is currently running them, so expect a much more professional and objective review from him in the near future. I'll let you know when I have anything else useful to say!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hubert222 wrote:

I just received mine this week and it was a very easy install. Did my first ride yesterday and the power readings seemed to be similar to my Quarq Riken. Does anyone know how to review left and right power for the ride? Can I view it in Garmin Connect or Training Peaks? Thanks. Doc
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat [jomed01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you can view left right on Garmin Connect.

I have had this meter now for a month. Starting to have issues where it is right dominant, and poor flow of data out of the meter. Not charging fully. Wondering if other people are seeing the same issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat [ridehardca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watteam suspended shipping in April until they can resolve some issues. They have not resumed shipping yet.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...er-meter-update.html
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
That's a shame.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are apparently available again and DC Rainmaker seems to like them.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/02/watteam-powerbeat-gen2-power-meter-in-depth-review.html

Altho their website lists only a limited # of compatible cranksets, it seems to me like pretty much any AL crankset ought to work. The calibration process would take care of the uniqueisms of your chosen crank. Or am I missing something?

Anyone heard anything about these in year or so since the last post? Seems like a pretty cost effective way to get both L and R power on a bike.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'm going to hold out for the new Favero Assioma pedal power meters on sale somewhere.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently the Powerbeats are designed for hollow AL cranks. This is kinda dumb question, but are modern AL crank arms generally hollow? On the tri bike I've got a VisionTech Trimax crank. It's AL. I note that it doesn't appear on their website anymore, so I guess it's out of production. I've got several old Campy Chorus cranksets up in the attic, they'll all AL. Anyone know? They don't look hollow. The Campy crankset on the roadbike is new Chorus so it's CF. Are CF cranks hollow these days?

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought that referred to the Shimano hallowtech cranks but I could be wrong. Best bet would be to email Watteam directly and ask if it's supported.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The site lists only Shimano and Cannondale cranks, all of them hollow I'm pretty sure. I looked harder at my Visiontech cranks and I'd be pretty darn surprised if they turned out to be hollow. I have to say tho, that I just don't understand the requirement that the cranks be hollow. WatTeam has a pretty clear calibration process so as long as the crank arms have a stiffness that is within the calibration range, they ought to be ok.

I did send WatTech and email. Hopefully they'll respond. Rumor is their tech spt is really good.

Here's the "listed" compatible cranks.
http://www.clevertraining.com/watteam-powerbeat-the-world-s-first-add-on-pro-level-powermeter

I talked to Qring today about compatible cranks with their QXL chainrings. Essentially they said "our published lists our old. Call us with a specific crank model." I'm kinda hoping "our stuff is compatible with far more than we have listed" has become the industry standard.

Dang, shit is so complicated now. A dozen BB standards, chain rings in 110 and 130. Shimano 4 and generic 5 bolt. 3 or 4 Campy chainring standards. QXL rings and the Powerbeat compatible with only "some" cranks. Geeze. I'm starting to recall fondly when we had only 1 chainring standard and only Italian or English BB's.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Apparently the Powerbeats are designed for hollow AL cranks. This is kinda dumb question, but are modern AL crank arms generally hollow? On the tri bike I've got a VisionTech Trimax crank. It's AL. I note that it doesn't appear on their website anymore, so I guess it's out of production. I've got several old Campy Chorus cranksets up in the attic, they'll all AL. Anyone know? They don't look hollow. The Campy crankset on the roadbike is new Chorus so it's CF. Are CF cranks hollow these days?

Oh man I didn't even know these existed. I think I just found the power solution for my F-Si!
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had some email exchanges with WatTeam this morning. We're limited to the cranks on their compatibility list. Bummer.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tykerock wrote:
Hi, I received mine as part of the first preorder shipment. Installation was easy - the most frustrating and time-consuming part of it was getting my G-D*** pedals off (how embarrassing). I did an initial calibration, but haven't been able to really try it out as things were busy and now I'm out of town. The fit and finish of both the packaging as well as the final product are very nice, and support has been great! I will likely get a second one for my road bike. I'll try to post some more specifics once I've got it dialed in and accumulated some experience with the unit, unless someone else does so first.
I know the post is a year old but did you end up getting two? It looks like you can get an extra set of the part you glue to the cranks and move the pods back and forth, is that what you did?
Quote Reply
Re: Watteam Powerbeat [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there, I wasn't aware that they are now offering the option to buy just the sensors, and I didn't see it on the website when I looked briefly, but either way I have not gotten around to it. Since last year our daughter was born, and long rides have pretty much gone out the window for now. I do some trainer rides on my TT with the Power Beat PM, and subjectively I feel like there is much better consistency than there had been with Gen 1.
Once the dust settles and we figure out how to make everything work with being active and raising our daughter, I may revisit that option. I might also take the easy way out and just buy another full set for my roadie to save myself the inconvenience of switching gear every time I go between bikes.
My only complaint with the system is that the plug that connects the pod to the sensor (it's like a 3.5mm headphone jack on a very short cord) is kind of a pain in the ass. It takes some effort to get in and out in a tight space, so about half the time I unplug it, it pops out hard and I shave my knuckles on the chainring. I'm probably just doing it wrong, but that's my observation.
Quote Reply