Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Watt output to calculate FTP?
Quote | Reply
With being relatively new to triathlon < 1 year, just wondering if you can figure out your FTP if you take power data from my most recent race.

My understanding of FTP is max power over one hour. In my newb way of thinking, I should be able to translate the watts into a rough FTP since the bike was longer than an hour. Does that make sense or am I completely off base? If it is within the realm of reason, what would a rough FTP # look like for me? Data below...

25.8 Miles - 1:11:35 - 221w Weighted Avg Power 933kj and I weigh 134lbs (not sure what data is helpful here)

Any advice/insight is appreciated.
Last edited by: B3CK: Aug 3, 15 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: Watt output to calculate FTP? [B3CK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B3CK wrote:

25.8 Miles - 1:11:35 - 221w Weighted Avg Power 933kj and I weigh 134lbs (not sure what data is helpful here)

Any advice/insight is appreciated.

Was this done as part of a triathlon or just a bike race? If a triathlon how well did your run go? What ever the case, your FTP is something over 221w.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This isn't really terribly helpful since I am assuming you swam 1500m first and then ran 10k. So clearly you didn't put out your max effort for that 1:11 (otherwise you wouldn't be capable of running afterwards). Also you can't use NP or strava's "weighted average" to calculate FTP - you need actual average power.
Quote Reply
Re: Watt output to calculate FTP? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, my best 10k that I've documented is 47:52 (7:40 Pace), I did 8:27 pace for this 10k. It was brutally hot though, so I don't think I killed myself on the bike, albeit, took me longer to get my legs under me.
Quote Reply
Re: Watt output to calculate FTP? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
217 was that number I believe.
Quote Reply
Re: Watt output to calculate FTP? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha, that's why I was asking, wasn't sure if it could be tabulated or not via these metrics without actually doing an FTP test. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to guess you're in the 240-250 FTP range. There are a variety of different ways you can test (20min and 95% of recorded power) and if you did without the swim/run, I'd bet you'd be about 10% higher than you did in the Tri. At 250 watts you'd have a P/W ratio over 4, which in my experience means you're at the pointy end in most local races....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since it's recommended you do an Olympic Tri from 85-95% of FTP, you could always estimate your FTP, but it would range a bit.

I myself had measured my road FTP @ 220 watts and last year did my best Oly @ 188 watts (NP 202 watts) and had enough left for a decent 10k. I weigh 128 lbs and had a 1:08:25 on a 25.07 mile course that wasn't too hilly, but not exactly flat either). 188 watts is 85% of my FTP at the time.
Quote Reply