Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Warren Miller dies at 93
Quote | Reply
Warren's films were the kickoff to winter and ski season for decades for me and my family - and the movie release in Boulder was a great gathering of the tribe every year. he did as much as anybody to popularize a love of the mountains and skiing and waged a successful war for my recreation budget that always kept me riding bikes an extra few seasons.

I hope he find heaven full of endless clouds to ride down...

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Warren Miller dies at 93 [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warren's movies always made me want to hit the slopes, although I seldom did. I should have taken his advice more often.

If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do
. -Warren Miller
Last edited by: bufordt: Jan 25, 18 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: Warren Miller dies at 93 [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh this is sad. RIP Warren Miller
Quote Reply
Re: Warren Miller dies at 93 [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
Warren's movies always made me want to hit the slopes, although I seldom did. I should have taken his advice more often.

. -Warren Miller

Great quote, and i can hear his voice saying it (even before the hyperlink :) ) . My dad used to take me to the Santa Monica civic center for the movie every year and Miller would narrate it live. I got out of the habit and missed it.
Quote Reply
Re: Warren Miller dies at 93 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
bufordt wrote:

. -Warren Miller

Great quote, and i can hear his voice saying it (even before the hyperlink :) ) . My dad used to take me to the Santa Monica civic center for the movie every year and Miller would narrate it live. I got out of the habit and missed it.

I never got to see him live, but starting in 5th grade, with our school ski trips, we'd ski all day and watch Warren Miller movies at night. The next morning, I'd be hearing his voice narrating my ski runs, and everyone would try to come up with their best Warren like comments when someone wiped out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very Sad. I have 2 very distinct memories of his films
- Glen Plake's Pink Mowhawk
- Nissan Pathfinders

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Warren Miller dies at 93 [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He left a big mark on the sport of skiing, and from all accounts was a good guy. RIP

I’m more of a Greg Stump fan when it comes to iconic ski movies, and TGR fan when it comes to the contemporary stuff.

Also, this has nothing to do with triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Warren Miller dies at 93 [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
He left a big mark on the sport of skiing, and from all accounts was a good guy. RIP

I’m more of a Greg Stump fan when it comes to iconic ski movies, and TGR fan when it comes to the contemporary stuff.

Wiith apologies to Mr. Miller, "Blizzard of Ahhs". Best ski movie ever made.
Quote Reply
Re: Warren Miller dies at 93 [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His films were great and always turned me onto music i'd never heard before i.e. Reckless Kelly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The family that skis together goes broke together... one of my favorite Warren Miller quotes! I believe he also said The family that skis together bi$ches at each other... we always begin our season with watching a Warren Miller movie or two.
Quote Reply
Re: Warren Miller dies at 93 [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was lucky enough to grow up in a ski town in Idaho, and some of my earliest memories are of my mom and I going to watch his films each year at the little bar/restaurant at the base of my mountain where they'd always play them. Good guy and he did his dream longer than almost anyone.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Warren Miller dies at 93 [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:

While true, I always looked forward to the year's new Warren Miller movie just as much as the NBC Kona broadcast. It was just one of those "things" to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Warren Miller dies at 93 [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lutzman wrote:
Poon wrote:

Wiith apologies to Mr. Miller, "Blizzard of Ahhs". Best ski movie ever made.

Warren Miller films were the start of ski season for me for about 20 years.
When I first started seeing them, he would narrate on site. Sometimes at Laguna Beach High School, sometimes at OC Performing Arts Center, and once at UCI.
Those were the best ones. Then, they had his recorded narration.
Met and talked to him briefly a couple of times, very cool dude to talk to.
But, yeah - Blizzard of Ahhs was super epic back in the day.
I might have to dig out a few DVD's (might even have some VHS) or see what is online and get the stoke going again. Even though I haven't been skiing in 10+ years
Quote Reply