Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wahoo kicker problems
Quote | Reply
Read through some of the old threads on the wahoo kicker as I have a similar issue to a number of users in that there is a consistent 20-25w gap between my quark and the wahoo. The wahoo is reading higher which is strange given the quarq is reading it at the crank.

Story so far is when I first got it it was within a few watts. Then i upgraded the quarq firmware to version 23 from 19. The offset on the quarq has remained constant at -84. Then I noticed the wahoo was reading higher watts it would start off higher at about 4-6w but as the workout progresses it would drift upwards to a difference of 12-14w higher than quarq.

Have done all the spin downs etc after warming the wahoo up and reset the quarq mid ride all to no avail.

Wahoo agreed there was something wrong and sent me their calibration kit. So I recalibrated the wahoo it's offset went from 630 to 410. But now the gap is even bigger a steady 20-25w wahoo higher still.

I am waiting for wahoo to come back but wanted to reach out to see if anyone has a solution to rig the spin down so they match.

Cheers
Last edited by: smithgz: Sep 28, 14 4:11
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo kicker problems [smithgz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smithgz wrote:
... Then i upgraded the quarq firmware to version 23 from 19.

Does a quarq firmware upgrade need settings to be re-configured?

I've been using Garmin Vector pedals, and on first setup forgot the crank-length setting. The power readings were lower than expected until I configured with the actual crank length.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo kicker problems [ohhorob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No confirmed with quarq given slope etc is all the same and no big shift in offset which I have seen before when a previous quarq went wrong they are looking at the wahoo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mine reads low, but it seems to be consistent, so I have decided I don't care. In your situation, it sounds like there is something wrong with the unit and I would care, as it's letting you off easy and you paid a lot for it
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo kicker problems [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Thanks when you say low are you talking sub 5w or more?

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smithgz wrote:
Quote:

Thanks when you say low are you talking sub 5w or more?

Cheers

a little more but less than 10 if memory serves. I struggle more indoors and how a lot of data on what sorts of indoor wattage I can hit, so I did not want to have to recalibrate myself for the new wattage. As long as the unit is reliable, I don't care that it reads high, but the OP's was just plain flakey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smithgz wrote:
Read through some of the old threads on the wahoo kicker as I have a similar issue to a number of users in that there is a consistent 20-25w gap between my quark and the wahoo. The wahoo is reading higher which is strange given the quarq is reading it at the crank.

Story so far is when I first got it it was within a few watts. Then i upgraded the quarq firmware to version 23 from 19. The offset on the quarq has remained constant at -84. Then I noticed the wahoo was reading higher watts it would start off higher at about 4-6w but as the workout progresses it would drift upwards to a difference of 12-14w higher than quarq.

Have done all the spin downs etc after warming the wahoo up and reset the quarq mid ride all to no avail.

Wahoo agreed there was something wrong and sent me their calibration kit. So I recalibrated the wahoo it's offset went from 630 to 410. But now the gap is even bigger a steady 20-25w wahoo higher still.

I am waiting for wahoo to come back but wanted to reach out to see if anyone has a solution to rig the spin down so they match.

Cheers

My story is almost identical. Kickr and Quarq used to be within 5w of each other. Then I did a firmware update on the Quarq and its consistently 20-30w lower than the Kickr.

I am going to put my Stages arm on the Quarq and see if the Stages can give me any clues as to which is wrong. I strongly expect it to be the Quarq, because even before I noticed the Kickr discrepancy I thought it was reading low on my outdoor rides. Rides that would usually have an AP in the 220 range were under 200 after the firmware update.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo kicker problems [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Intriguing and what I was reaching out for. I wonder if there is a way to downgrade the firmware and see if that makes a difference I think I will ask that of quarq.

Lmk how you get on with the stages.

Be good if quarq looked at this.

Is anyone out there on firmware 23 and it matches with their wahoo could you post here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how can you be certain that the Quarq is proving accurate power readings? Seems to me that if the Kickr has been calibrated yet after a spin-down of the Kickr it only served to exacerbate the wattage disparity, then I would now be wondering about whether the Quarq needs to be calibrated. Yes that is pretty much out in left field but based on my experience with our SRM's, I typically re-calibrate them once or twice a year as the I have yet to see a close match between my calibration and the factory.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Sep 29, 14 6:41
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo kicker problems [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I am not sure it's the wahoo or quarq. The only thing that changed was the firmware on the quarq then the difference in power started. I only managed a couple of rides before firmware upgrade and there within 2-5w which is acceptable.

What I would like to do is roll back the firmware and see where it lies having re calibrated the wahoo too many variables. HR effort seems to suggest the quarq could be reading low or I have enjoyed my off season way too much☺
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Firmware 23 would not have any affect on the slope of the powermeter or how it is reading power other than the possibility of AxCad (magnetless cadence). If the Quarq is still zeroing within spec and not drifting within the ride, the only other thing to look for would be cadence drops in the ride data. There would be no charge other than shipping to send this in for a factory calibration but there should be no reason to adjust the slope of the Quarq.

Cheers,
Rob Bee
Quarq Tech Service

Quarq Tech Service
ThinkFast@Quarq.com
800-660-6853
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo kicker problems [Rob@Quarq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rob,

Thanks for posting we have communicated before on this. I am based in the UK so sending back to the us is not really practical.

Is there anyway to roll back the firmware just to exclude that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We do not currently have a way to roll back the firmware as there has never really been a reason to do so. Cyclepowermeters in the UK would also be able to do the weighted calibration but there may be a slight charge to do so.

Cheers,
Rob Bee
Quarq Tech Service

Quarq Tech Service
ThinkFast@Quarq.com
800-660-6853
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo kicker problems [Rob@Quarq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup spoken already Rob Thanks. Is there a way to wipe the unit then load a version of the firmware in?

just trying to get a base so I can clearly understand what is wrong. What is bugging me is everything was ok until the firmware upgrade. May just be coincidence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smithgz wrote:
Yup spoken already Rob Thanks. Is there a way to wipe the unit then load a version of the firmware in?

just trying to get a base so I can clearly understand what is wrong. What is bugging me is everything was ok until the firmware upgrade. May just be coincidence

I don't think you are listening to him. There are no differences in the firmware with respect to the slope and power readings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smithgz wrote:

Did a short sweet spot ride this morning. Stages was about as close as could be expected to the Kickr, usually 3-5 watts higher. The Quarq was averaging 20-25 Watts low.

Anyone know of an app that can record 3 powermeter streams at once? Similar to what the wasp does but Mac/PC based?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks MattAune. Good info out of interest what firmware version did you upgrade from on the Quarq. I should have my hands on some garmin vectors on Thursday so will be able to run the test with them the wahoo and the quarq hopefully.

Best bet would be to use multiple devices and pair them to each device don't know of any other way then export them into excel and match them there. DC RAinmaker may be able to help he does the comparisons all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
smithgz wrote:

Did a short sweet spot ride this morning. Stages was about as close as could be expected to the Kickr, usually 3-5 watts higher. The Quarq was averaging 20-25 Watts low.

Anyone know of an app that can record 3 powermeter streams at once? Similar to what the wasp does but Mac/PC based?

Did you raise a support ticket with Wahoo? I have one open but they are slow to respond have sent a file in with the raw data from the garmin and wahoo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
smithgz wrote:

I think it should work with the wahoo fitness app.

Quote | Reply
smithgz wrote:
Best bet would be to use multiple devices and pair them to each device don't know of any other way then export them into excel and match them there. DC RAinmaker may be able to help he does the comparisons all the time.

That was my plan this morning, but one of the garmin 500s had auto pause turned on so it only recorded 18 seconds. I will try again Thursday morning.

I did tweet DCRainmaker about recording multiple streams, we will see what he says.

smithgz wrote:
Did you raise a support ticket with Wahoo? I have one open but they are slow to respond have sent a file in with the raw data from the Garmin and Wahoo.

At this point I don't think its the Kickr. But once I get some more data I may contact them.

Cobble wrote:
I think it should work with the wahoo fitness app.

I dont have the ANT+ dongle to capture quarq data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know Perfpro Studio you could asign each of those power meters to a different 'person' on seperate trainers. then you'd get all the data. Heck you could wear three HR monitors too........... just for fun. ;)

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any updates? I've been thinking of getting a Kickr, but threads like this are making me think twice...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are there similar stories with computrainer? just curious as i'm debating between the two
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mattune any progress on your power differences. I am sending my quarq back this week to get checked so should have it back by end of week and able to re run some tests.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
smithgz wrote:

Confucius say,"Man with power meter believe he know power - but man with 3 power meter never sure".
Last edited by: William Ockham: Oct 19, 14 11:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next