Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wahoo Kickr question
Quote | Reply
I need help because I'm apparently an idiot when it comes to technology. I'm hoping to get the wahoo kickr in the next couple of weeks and have been trying to read up on what all I will need. Its all a bit confusing to me. What I want to do is use the kickr paired with trainerroad. All I have is an Ipad 2 and an iphone 4. The kickr is compatible with iphone 4s or newer or ipad 3 or newer. I don't have a laptop either. So I know I will need an ANT+ dongle of some type. Well I just read that I would need an ANT+USB 2. The wahoo fitness key is $50 so I don't want to end up buying something I don't need. Can anyone break this down simply for me. What will I need in order to use Trainerroad with Kickr? Thanks for any help!
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr question [mchadcota2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All you will need is the iPhone ANT+ key

I learned a long time ago that the only pertinent information you offer is found within the last sentence.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr question [mopshiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps the other reply is correct, but you may consider checking with the TR guys if the iOS app controls trainers over ANT yet (I only bring it up because I thought I read it didn't)

The ANT key works great for picking up sensors, I can confirm that :)
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr question [nord0296] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh oh...and the confusion has set in again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The iPhone ant+ key can control the kickr during a workout. But you need some kind of Bluetooth 4 device to update the firmware. I've not used trainer road, but I have used imobile intervals in erg mode on an ipad 2 as well as the cycleops virtual trainer both in erg mode and in course video mode and the basic wahoo app.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mchadcota2 wrote:
I need help because I'm apparently an idiot when it comes to technology. I'm hoping to get the wahoo kickr in the next couple of weeks and have been trying to read up on what all I will need. Its all a bit confusing to me. What I want to do is use the kickr paired with trainerroad. All I have is an Ipad 2 and an iphone 4. The kickr is compatible with iphone 4s or newer or ipad 3 or newer. I don't have a laptop either. So I know I will need an ANT+ dongle of some type. Well I just read that I would need an ANT+USB 2. The wahoo fitness key is $50 so I don't want to end up buying something I don't need. Can anyone break this down simply for me. What will I need in order to use Trainerroad with Kickr? Thanks for any help!

The iPhone 4s and newer have Bluetooth 4.0, which will allow you to pair with the Kickr without any dongle or extra piece of hardware. ERG mode also works just fine in iOS :)

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr question [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ This.

That being said, do you know which software you are going to want to use to interface with the Kickr? Not to try to add to the confusion, but one of the best parts of the Kickr is that is is open to connecting to pretty much any compatible software (the Wahoo IOS app, TrainerRoad, PerfPro, Zwift - I'm sure there's many I'm not catching here). Using an iPhone 4s will get you on the Wahoo iOS app and the TrainerRoad iOS app through Bluetooth, but there may be other software that does not run on that device.

Also, while the Kickr is Bluetooth enabled, it will only transmit power. If you want cadence, you will need a separate Bluetooth cadence transmitting device. At one point Wahoo was shipping the RPM Bluetooth cadence monitor free with the Kickr and it "works" although it isn't my favorite.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr question [OkotoksLawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes all I plan to use is trainerroad with the wahoo. I think I'm going to just have to upgrade Iphones. Thanks for your help
Quote Reply