Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
WHERE DOES GWEN JORGENSEN FIT IN THE GREATEST SHORT COURSE WOMEN EVER
Quote | Reply
When a streak gets to ten wins in a row, you are approaching very unique standards. Carry that string of 10 wins over two different seasons and it gets that much more impressive. I am not sure that most triathlon fans fully understand where Gwen is in the ALL TIME greatest female short course triathlete list? Having had the honour of calling most of Gwen's career and the majority of her 10 consecutive WTS wins, I have had the chance to watch her and coach Jamie Turner up close. And it has been impressive.

Initially one could argue that Gwen was a one-trick pony. She was an average swimmer, below average novice biker and an exceptional runner. That was a legitimate assessment of Gwen in 2012 and even 2013. The move to Australia and Spain with Australian coach Jamie Turner, has seen some impressive results for Gwen. The first real improvement came in her swim. With her improved swim, she was consistently coming out of the water in the top 10 women, leaving it much more difficult for the other women to have a GET OUT OF THE WATER and STAY AWAY strategy. A number of Gwen's earlier podiums had her putting in huge run efforts to mow down the competition on the final few kilometers. But with her improved swim and ever improving bike skills (and tactics), its been much tougher for her competition. The majority of the last 4-5 races have seen Gwen exit the water withink 3-5 seconds of the lead women, do her fair share of the work on the bike, then run an off the charts 5k or 10k split to win easily.

To talk about the greatest ever, you have to add Emma Snowsill, Emma Carney and Vanessa Fernades to the conversation. Vanessa had more wins in her career (20+). Carney had more streaks of 6-8 consecutive wins and was insanely dominant during the mid 90s when she won 2 World Championships (but health issues and a flawed Sydney selectiion policy saw her never make the Olympic Games). Finally Olympic Gold Medalist Emma Snowsill was also a World Champion and Commonwealth Games Champion, but race injuries kept her from having anywhere near the string of wins that Gwen, Emma Carney and Vanessa put together in their careers.

Carney had a handful of Aussies (Jackie, Loretta and others) to test her during her string. Vanessa had Emma Snowsill to stop her strings. But right now, with Norden, Spirig, Hewitt and a few of the other key women not firing on all cyclinders, its hard to see who is the legitimate athlete to knock Gwen off her amazing string of wins. Mathematics suggest that it should be one of her American Team-mates (Katie, Sarah or Renee) who have the goods under the right circumstances to stop Gwen (at least for a weekend).

To be mentioned legitimately as one of the greatest women of all time (or perhaps THE GREATEST) Gwen needs another World Title or two and an Olympic medal (perferably gold in Rio). Neither of those are overly difficult to see occurring. Of course at just about this time four years ago, Canadian Paula Findlay had won 5 WTS Races, had won on the London Course and many were questioning whether anyone could challenge the young Canadian. So we all know that nothing in life is 100%. You also need a bit of luck along the way.

Gwen did something on Sunday in London that was off the charts and not widely reported. She was ill for 72 hours before the race. She and coach Jamie never complained or even showed their cards on the issue. I spoke to both Jamie and Gwen's husband Pat, to confirm before the race that she was not 100%. In fact she was far from being 100% healthy. The fact the race was a sprint likely worked to her benefit as she only had to push herself for 55 minutes, instead of nearly 2 hours in an Olympic race. Impressively she started, had a solid lead pack swim and contributed to her fair share of keeping the lead pack of women away for the 20km bike. Then off the bike, she did the patented Gwen slow out of T2, steady for 1km till she caught the other women, then ran an impressive (when ill) 16 min flat 5k run split to win her 10th in a row. After the race she was a bit of a mess, but did all the media expected as an A++ pro.

ITU, USA Triathlon and the sport in general need an American to win and win big. More media, sponsors and opportunity flow from the USA then anywhere else in the world, and a healthy, Gwen Jorgensen moving farther into the mainstream USA media is a great thing for everyone. Only two women (Emma Snowsill and Canadian Carol Montgomery) have ever run with the kind of dominance that Gwen is now showing. One would have to think with the relatively few training years Gwen actually has under her belt, that we can expect another 3-5 more years of improvement before things flatten out. That is pretty scary for the rest of the women in the world.

Having announced the very first ITU races nearly 3 decades ago, I know that all GREAT THINGS do come to an end. It maybe injury. It maybe motivation. It maybe equipment or anyone of a number of things. But at just 29, well coached, improving weekly, healthy and well supported by her husband Pat, her sponsors, USA Triathlon and her training mates, its going to take an out-of-body race effort from one of her competitors, or a crash to likely stop Gwen's current streak in 2015. Olympic Gold Medalist Nicola Spirig is very special and I can't imagine that her coach Brett Sutton is not working on some insane bike and run strategy to try to return the Swiss Superstar to the top of the podium by Rio Olympics next year. But Nicola has very few ITU races on her 2015 schedule as she prepares for the epic showdown in Rio next year. Gwen is currently a superior swimmer to Nicola and her run times have been superior to what Nicola has produced (so far). The bike maybe the one place that the sports greatest cyclist, Nicola Spirig is trying to change the outcome on the tough, hilly Rio Olympic Course in 2016.

With the World Championship TItle and Grand Final in Chicago in September, it would be incredibley unique if Gwen was able to carry her streak into that final race of 2015. Having interviewed Gwen many times and seen numerous other interviews with her, she will play down her current impressive streak. "I can't change what the other girls do, I am simply taking care of the small details each week" is her basic mantra and it is the proper one for sure.

You would have to put Gwen's current streak up with Chrissie Wellington's Ironman domination during her short but impressive career. Gwen's streak is perhaps a bit more impressive when you realize how close most ITU races have been over the years, and how one bad swim or T1 change or flat tire could alter the outcome in the draft legal format. A bad swim by Chrissie and she still had 5hrs on the bike and 2hrs 55 minutes on the run to catch up and win. A bad swim or wetsuit problem or flat tire by Gwen and her streak could have already come to an end (as we saw with the flat tire in the transition zone by Jonny Brownlee on Sunday).

Often fans and media don't fully appreciate when they are in the middle of something incredible. I can tell you what Gwen has done so far is off the charts, and considering that she is getting better each week, and gaining more strength, skill and confidence, her streak has the potential to continue for a long time (or do as Emma Carney did and immediately start another string as soon as she lost once). A lovely woman and amazing athlete, Gwen is helping lead perhaps the greatest USA WOMEN"S TEAM ever (and thats saying a lot when you look back to Barb, Sheila, Susan and Laura from the early and mid 2000s).

Enjoy the ride Gwen Jorgensen fans. All amazing things must come to an end. I am sure we all hope that its just not in the next 18 months.

Barrie Shepley
Voice of the ITU TV Broadcasts
Hall of Fame Triathlon Coach
& Lover of all things triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE DOES GWEN JORGENSEN FIT IN THE GREATEST SHORT COURSE WOMEN EVER [coachbarrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Love the post Barrie, and your enthusiasm for the sport.

Really enjoying watching Gwen's development.

I do have a question, but I'm not sure if you can answer, or in fact you may not feel it your place to answer.

What was actually wrong with Gwen prior to Sunday, and was there ever any discussion of her not racing?

As soon as I heard Sunday that she'd been sick I thought back to Vanessa in 08. She was at the top of her game, as you say her and Snowy were dominant. She had a couple of races where the cold seemed to get at her, combined with intestinal issues (I think Vancouver was the 2nd there was one in May..maybe Madrid??) and she never really fired after that. Lost motivation after the Games as a result. Have always felt that was a real loss to the sport and the process started to unfold in April of that year.

I guess my question is - was it really necessary for Gwen to race sick. Only time will tell - but I do agree it says a lot about her character and that of Jamie's.

Nice post.
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE DOES GWEN JORGENSEN FIT IN THE GREATEST SHORT COURSE WOMEN EVER [coachbarrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about this topic the other day, with a slight variation. Where does Gwen's 2014-2015 (so far) stretch rank in comparison to any other triathlete. The sport has soon some amazing runs of dominance at all distances, men and women. On one hand, as you point out, given the shorter nature of her races (less forgiving of any mistake), this short burst of dominance is amazing. On the other hand, winning a bunch of Kona's over a bunch of years (Dave, Mark, PNF, Natascha, Chrissie) requires a more prolonged ability to peak and execute (and stay healthy while training) for a single targeted day.

Regardless, Gwensanity has me by the throat. It's kinda like watching Michael Jordan in his prime. You knew this was special.

Barrie, ITU doesn't get it's fair share of coverage here in STland, so it's great when you post. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post, and I agree, Gwen is an amazing athlete, a gracious person (I have had the privilege to meet her) and is very good news for the sport.

As to the question of greatest ever, I think you make good points that support the argument, but to play devil's advocate, I would counter with:

- many of the sport's top female draft-legal athletes have had extended periods of injury: Spirig, Norden, Stanford, Jenkins, Stimpson... Not to say any of them could have individually beaten Gwen, but it's possible some of the stronger bikers among them, with the help of strong swim-bikers like Hall, could have possibly changed some races up. It seems that in their absence, there are no female ITU athletes with enough confidence to go for a break-away on the bike. This has made for some pretty dull races to watch, at least compared to recent male races.

- as well as the above absences, there are very few really tough bike courses on the circuit. So while Gwen has made impressive improvements on the bike, I think to call her 'best ever' she will need to show that those improvements can translate to success on a tough bike course, like Rio. Time will tell!

- you mention how easy it is for a streak to end due to unforeseen circumstances (injury, illness, mechanical, crashes or other simple bad luck). It may be, therefore, that some of the other top athletes' streaks could have lasted longer if they had been as 'lucky' as Gwen has been over the last 10 races. If so, we might consider some of the other athletes even better. That said, I'm a strong believer in ''you make your own luck" and many things are avoidable with careful planning and race execution. Gwen seems to be pretty good in this department.

I think it will come down to Rio. From all accounts it's going to be a super-tough bike course that really means the winner will have to have a true, all-round, balanced skill-set of swimming, biking and running. I think Gwen has a strong chance to win, given her improvements in the water and on the bike, combined with her advantage over the others on the run.

[ Oh, and grammar police: "incredibly unique" is a bit of an oxymoron. You're either unique, or you're not! ;) ]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love your post - and listening to your broadcasts of the events. You really bring a knowledge and expertise to the viewing audience.

I just watched the broadcast of the London race last night. Gwen is so impressive. She's amazing to watch. Thanks for the insights about her. It will be fun to watch her career.

Thanks for all you do for this sport.
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE DOES GWEN JORGENSEN FIT IN THE GREATEST SHORT COURSE WOMEN EVER [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed - great post and I'm also very much looking forward to seeing how far she can take this.

Not sure though that I would rate her current streak as more impressive that going undefeated for an entire ironman career 13/13 as Chrissie did. Including winning Kona as a rookie. Yes, if Chrissie or any other IM athlete have a bad swim they have the possibility to make it up due to the long distance. But how about sickness and not feeling well like Gwen last race? She was obviously able to soldier on since it was only 1 hour. Had it been an 9 hours race she would probably have been done for coming in unhealthy.

Massive props to Gwen. She is destroying the field but saying her currently streak betters Chrissie's is pushing it IMO.
Last edited by: Knudsen88: Jun 3, 15 9:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the answer is simple if she wins the Olympics then greatest ever. If Nicola wins then a place holder for her?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great question, glad you posted it. But I think the answer changes so dramatically next year that it is too early to ask the question. Until she wins a Gold medal she isn't in the conversation. I like her chances, though!
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE DOES GWEN JORGENSEN FIT IN THE GREATEST SHORT COURSE WOMEN EVER [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During the broadcast, Barrie indicated that the theory behind racing when she was not feeling 100% related to preparation for the "one big race". While it is very true she didn't have to race London, she can't control if she is going to feel sick or tired on the day of the Olympics or a Grand Final. This was a chance for her to develop some confidence and mental toughness that even when she is not feeling her best she can still go out and win a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clearly the best ever female. further, according to my own analysis she's a minute faster in the run, gender-adjusted, to the top men in the sport.

accordingly, i think she's close to being the best ever short courser, gender adjusted, ever. of either gender. the only thing i don't know is whether the "female" analog of the brownlees and gomez yet exists on the bike. that's the one caveat. still, that run of hers overcomes so much, even if she's not the female analog of these great male riders, she's (in my opinion) so much faster, gender adjusted, than they are on the run she's probably the best ITU racer in history.

she reminds me so much of mark allen, who grew up as a swimmer but god obviously created him a runner and we all just had to wait until mark understood where his talent lay. yes, gwen ran in college but it wasn't until gwen really focused on her sport without distraction that her run talent came out. i don't really yet know how good a runner she is. i think we all assume this is her at her run peak and i don't know that this is true.

since you mentioned jamie, i'd like to relate one story. if you look at the shoelace story on our home page, i emailed and asked jamie what his athletes are using. i expected a one-line reply from jamie. instead, he immediately wrote to his enclave: "Do me a favour and send me a photo of your run shoes with brand of shoe and the type of laces you use (perhaps write me the name of the laces)."

then, bam, bam, bam, every athlete, almost within minutes, pic of the shoes, and the laces, description of the lace brand used, into my in-box (of course, they were waiting around in london for the race, so they had time, but still they took the affirmative act). jamie said go ahead and use the images, the names of the athletes, etc., because he rightly understood what not all coaches understand, that it's for, "the athletes' benefit."

smart guy. smart coach. intuitive coach. very impressive cohort. it appears to me he's teaching them more than just how to swim/bike/run.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jun 3, 15 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barrie, I'm on the same page with your appreciation of Gwen. But we need to be fair, she is not competiting against an healthy OR dedicated, Norden, Spirig, Stanford, Jenkins, Stimpsons, Denshaw, Jackson, Moffatt, Sweatland, Findlay... the list is long and just show that the present density is not as good as before.

Remind me, but Norden and Spirig run performance at London (Olympics) weren't outside the usual 1 minutes margin. Also, I do believe that some girls needs to race like Alistair. Yes gwen is not a complete athlete, but that's doesn't means that you can't attack her.

The Rio Test event should tell us more. BTW, do you know if ITU is offering a webcast?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the perspective.

I like her style.

No BS. No excuses. Shows up on race day and just gets the job done.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We should all be paying attention to US short course women, besides Gwen Katie Zaferes is extremely good. I would accept Gwen as one of the best ever but the competition in triathlon in general is pretty stiff. How do you compare her against someone like Paula who essentially wrote the book for female triathletes? Chrissie Wellington did have a flat and still dominated her 2011 race when she was self-admittedly not in her best form.

At any rate you do point out that we tend to be obsessively focused on that half distance and full distance non-drafting events when we have an American athlete dominating the shorter non-drafting courses.
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE DOES GWEN JORGENSEN FIT IN THE GREATEST SHORT COURSE WOMEN EVER [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patsullivan6630 wrote:
At any rate you do point out that we tend to be obsessively focused on that half distance and full distance non-drafting events when we have an American athlete dominating the shorter non-drafting courses.

For me it's the other way around. I have zero interest in watching any triathlon over an Oly distance, but I look forward to watching the ITU races.
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE DOES GWEN JORGENSEN FIT IN THE GREATEST SHORT COURSE WOMEN EVER [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Great post, and I agree, Gwen is an amazing athlete, a gracious person (I have had the privilege to meet her) and is very good news for the sport.

As to the question of greatest ever, I think you make good points that support the argument, but to play devil's advocate, I would counter with:

- many of the sport's top female draft-legal athletes have had extended periods of injury: Spirig, Norden, Stanford, Jenkins, Stimpson... Not to say any of them could have individually beaten Gwen, but it's possible some of the stronger bikers among them, with the help of strong swim-bikers like Hall, could have possibly changed some races up. It seems that in their absence, there are no female ITU athletes with enough confidence to go for a break-away on the bike. This has made for some pretty dull races to watch, at least compared to recent male races.

[ Oh, and grammar police: "incredibly unique" is a bit of an oxymoron. You're either unique, or you're not! ;) ]

But doesn't the fact that she has not been injured & on the sideline for an extended period of time actually support the argument for Gwen being the best ever? To be considered the greatest you have to be able to compete first. Staying healthy & in the game is part of what being great is about. The sports world is full of individuals who had unbelievable talent but could not stay healthy &/or on the field. Top talent alone does not equal being the greatest.
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE DOES GWEN JORGENSEN FIT IN THE GREATEST SHORT COURSE WOMEN EVER [5stones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To some extent, yes, although that may be more down to her coach than her (in her avoiding injuries). But my point was more about the fact that it has been remarkable that so many of the recent world champions and Olympic medalists of the last few years have been out for extended periods. I'm just saying that Gwen's status would have been more enhanced if those athletes were all healthy and racing concurrently to Gwen's 10-race streak.
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE DOES GWEN JORGENSEN FIT IN THE GREATEST SHORT COURSE WOMEN EVER [alex_emetique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_emetique wrote:

Remind me, but Norden and Spirig run performance at London (Olympics) weren't outside the usual 1 minutes margin. Also, I do believe that some girls needs to race like Alistair. Yes gwen is not a complete athlete, but that's doesn't means that you can't attack her.

The Rio Test event should tell us more. BTW, do you know if ITU is offering a webcast?

You mentioned the injuries of the other top females and I get that. And since I said it was too early I agree with where you are coming from.

But I think she is going to prove that she is simply a way better athlete than all the other women, she just needed time to develop. And she will prove to just like the Brownlee's except she is a better runner (which seems impossible). I get the impression that you are not sold yet. Hmm, maybe I am misreading. I guess that is what I am asking: I agree she hasn't proved it JUST yet. But I think the outcome is nearly inevitable. What do you think?
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE DOES GWEN JORGENSEN FIT IN THE GREATEST SHORT COURSE WOMEN EVER [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's my perception of ITU, more an athlete is dominating, more the others athletes are trying too hard and get injured.

There is a mental aspect in the sport. To be fair, right now, no one believe they can beat Gwen on a typical course and they are right for this. Reasons are not only based on athletics.

Can Katie Zaferes or Andrea Hewitt drop Gwen at Auckland, yes.
did they try? No. Hewitt was racing for get his olympics selection with a top 3. So, she wasn't racing to win. That doesn't means that she could.

Rio course seems to be different. Duffy, Norden, Stanford, Sweetland, Hewitt, Spirig, Simpsons can be really dangerous on this race if they are aggressive.

Honestly, if Jorgensen win the Rio Test Event, she will be the greatest, no doubt and she will win again the mental edge.
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE DOES GWEN JORGENSEN FIT IN THE GREATEST SHORT COURSE WOMEN EVER [alex_emetique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_emetique wrote:

There is a mental aspect in the sport. To be fair, right now, no one believe they can beat Gwen on a typical course and they are right for this. Reasons are not only based on athletics. .... no doubt and she will win again the mental edge.

Really a different topic but my experience is that the mental game is nonsense ( other than the occasional melt down which is the opposite of what we are talking about) . No one thinks they cannot beat Gwen. Absurd belief in ones own ability is a hallmark of the elite. In London True and Zaferes didn't run with Gwen when she made her break because they couldn't, not because they THOUGHT they couldn't.

Anyhow, you and I disagree with what happened in Aukland. I know your insiders told you the effort wasn't there (compared to previous years) on the bike for the women, so there I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gwen is a phenomenon for sure. What everyone seem to be overlooking is that she has not hit that point where athletes usually break down yet, so we really don't know yet if she is as durable as she has shown. Every one of the great athletes this thread has been talking about had their streaks too. You can argue they were not all in a row, or this or that, but they had incredible streaks a lot longer than Gwen's at the moment.

If she puts in a couple more years hitting the podium most the time, gets a medal at the games, and then finishes off with a few more years of mostly podiums, then yes, the greatest of all time in short course.

If she got injured tomorrow and was never really able to come back, then hard pressed to be top 10 in that category, don't your guys think? Look at Paula Findlay, pretty much the same as Gwen, and at a younger age. But unless she can comeback and reclaim her old self, she will just be a footnote in the history of womens racing.

But she is where not many before her have been, so up to her and sometimes the luck of the draw, on how long this career can go on at this level.
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE DOES GWEN JORGENSEN FIT IN THE GREATEST SHORT COURSE WOMEN EVER [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:
I think the answer is simple if she wins the Olympics then greatest ever. If Nicola wins then a place holder for her?

^^^This. ITU is really all about the Olympics.

I also think the pre-ITU women like Baker, Smyers, and Jones need to be considered. There was some overlap with ITU, but they were dominant short course competitors on other circuits as well.
If you look at Baker's "5150" results, they are sick!

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE DOES GWEN JORGENSEN FIT IN THE GREATEST SHORT COURSE WOMEN EVER [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And maybe a bit off topic, remember seeing this discussion in another thread and i missed it. But I do believe she is a much better pure runner than most who were commenting on that aspect. I think she could even make the olympic team, and even go top 15 in the world if she had a mind to.

We probably won't get to test that theory, but i really hope she one day just goes for it in the 10k or 1/2 marathon. Do a reasonable off season run block and hit a big race with lots of stars. I think 31;30 or better..
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE DOES GWEN JORGENSEN FIT IN THE GREATEST SHORT COURSE WOMEN EVER [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone have any idea as to the amount of hours she runs per week? My understanding is that it is not super high for a triathlete at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ITU, USA Triathlon and the sport in general need an American to win and win big.

Boom, Barrie!

"The best thing that could ever happen to triathlon in the U.S. and indeed the whole sport of triathlon would be an Olympic triathlon win and a Gold Medal for a U.S. triathlete"

Those words above are mine. I said this while I was emceeing the launch of the Timex Triathlon team in 2012. Of course that was 2012 when, the U.S. had, with all due respect, slim to no hopes in the Olympic Games Triathlon. The story, now in a pre-Olympic year, is very different. It would be a big and significant deal for a U.S. win in the form of Gwen Jorgensen, and maybe even more U.S. places on the podium.

Many of the key triathlon gear suppliers are U.S. companies and the U.S. as we know is the biggest media juggernaut in the world.

The only thing that is working against all this is that the U.S., still does not have much of what I call an endurance sports culture. The only time that, you hear about any endurance sports in the main-sports news or news news is the latest on Lance Armstrong, the tragedy of the Boston Marathon bombings, or the cancellation of the NYC Marathon! It's all strange to me, because over 30 million people each year in North America toe the line in a running, cycling or triathlon event. That is a not a small number! Hopefully some of these 30 million will be connected to a U.S. win in the triathlon!

At another level to the many triathletes that might connect with this happening it would be exposure to another form of racing in triathlon - not Ironman! That's significant to!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jun 3, 15 15:35
Quote Reply
Re: WHERE DOES GWEN JORGENSEN FIT IN THE GREATEST SHORT COURSE WOMEN EVER [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So we have to disagree again :p

to me there is a mental edge and a building to olympics. If you talk to a lot of elites, they will tell you that it's impossible to beat Alistair Brownlee when he is healthy. Perfect exemple was at london. with Alistair attack, Alarza, Bailie and Luis didn't even try to follow him. Of course, some still believe they can beat him, but they are not racing like they wants to. For the last 3 years, when Ali wasn't winning, he was dealing with injuries...

For Gwen, you never see a women trying to follow her during an attack. Edmonton was a perfect exemple, Andrea Hewitt was pushing the tempo alone. They got an advance of 1:30 on Gwen, then Haskins did the domestique and bring it back to 1:10... and Gwen won the race with her typical style. The question is how it's possible that a group of 15 women can't outbike Haskins... because they were racing for a result and not a win.
Quote Reply

Prev Next