Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WARNING: FSA aerobars - catastrophic failure (update)
Quote | Reply
I recently discovered stress fractures in the armrest plate of my FSA clip-on aerobars (2-3 yrs old) and ordered an unused pair from a seller here in the classified ads. They arrived in factory-new condition. I noticed immediately that the plate (specifically where the screw holes are bored out) is noticably thicker in the newer armrests, possibly due to stress fractures being a recurring issue. When I mounted the armrests to the bars, the screws that came with the rests were identical in length to the old version (which was 2-3mm thinner), which made me wonder how secure the hold would be, considering the discrepancy between old and new screw depth.

I secured them tightly and took it out around the block to work the chain oil in before leaving for my ride. 2 minutes later, "SNAP" - off goes my left armrest, tumbling down the road. The two mounting screws pulled completely loose from the extension mounts, damaging the internal threads. Luckily I was at low speed & my forearm landed on the basebar, so no crash, but now I'm left with partially stripped screw holes that may require complete aerobar replacement.

I don't know if this is a factory problem that has been corrected, or an innocent error in the shipper sending me new rests with old screws not realizing there's a difference (although they both look unused, so I doubt they didn't accompany the rests). Either way, if you are replacing the armrests on your FSA aerobars and the screws -in either the 25mm or 12.5mm configuration- and the depth of the screw setting raises concerns, DO NOT assume it's secure enough: It's not, and it's extremely dangerous.

I'll contact FSA and see if this is a known problem that needs correction & pass along any information I receive.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: May 17, 07 3:29
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Re: WARNING: FSA aerobars - catastrophic failure [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I'll contact FSA and see if this is a known problem that needs correction & pass along any information I receive.
Yes it is a known problem, yes the new ones are about twice as thick.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran in to the screw length problem as well and replaced them with some I found at the hardware store that were a little longer. They were fine after that.
Quote Reply
Re: WARNING: FSA aerobars - catastrophic failure [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The day after emailing FSA, I received a reply from a rep (Liana Herron) who offered to ship a new set of bolts (free of charge) and suggested taking the aerobars to the LBS for inspection, just in case. She explained that the matching bolts for the thicker plates should have shipped out with the new armrests, and despite the fact that I purchased them second-hand, she's taking care of it free of charge.

Very cool. Kudos to FSA/VisionTech.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: WARNING: FSA aerobars - catastrophic failure (update) [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My brother found a crack in a arm plate on his.
Quote Reply
Re: WARNING: FSA aerobars - catastrophic failure (update) [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem. After I sent back the aerobars, they acknowledged the problem and sent me a new pair. It appears that there is too much pressure exerted on the armrests when you use the longer extension. I have used the shorter extension since they sent me back the replacement with no issues. Send them an email; they were very helpful and prompt in their responses
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what are these 'armrest plates' made of?

aluminum alloy? carbon composite? plastic?

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: WARNING: FSA aerobars - catastrophic failure (update) [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"composite"...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have cracked three pair of arm rest pads, including the redesigned set. It's just a matter of time, how someone rides, what extension you are using, and which pad you are using.

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, I paid like $50 or $60 for a new pair of armrest plates and pads. The stress fractures were freaking me out so I really didn't care to pay. Wish I would have bitched a bit more.
Quote Reply