Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vuka Stealth armrest torque specs
Quote | Reply
I'm installing a vuka stealth aerobar on my Shiv and I'm having some issues with the torque specs in the instruction manual. It says to torque the armrest to 4nm, but when torqued to 4nm they still move. Any info from someone who has installed one of these and could shed some light on this issues would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Vuka Stealth armrest torque specs [strongbear0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I needed to go up to 5-6Nm and use fiber grip on my Vuka Aluminas to keep the armrests from slipping.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Vuka Stealth armrest torque specs [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, I'll bump the torque up a little and use more carbon assembly paste.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please note that mine were Vuka Alumina (Al extensions), so I wasn't running the risk of cracking any fiber.

I found that letting the fiber grip set up a bit (24 hrs.) before riding helped a bit too.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was going to ask if you had aluminum of carbon extensions I just assumed they were carbon when you mention the carbon paste.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The grip was so poor I had to use fiber grip even on the AL or the rests would slip every time I hit a bump.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm beginning to see a design flaw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will probably find the raisers haven't seated into the base bar properly.

Once you've spent the next 15mins jiggling these into place, the aerobars don't move
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Vuka Aero was installed by the dealer with the 5 mm risers and it's been totally solid. When I took it apart to make adjustments and add a spacer under the front bolts, I didn't worry about torque specs and just hand tightened because it all locks together.

Which way are the armrests moving? Front to back?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Vuka Stealth armrest torque specs [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Vuka Stealth not the vuka aero and they don't move front and back. Mine are moving down with pressure when I go aero.
Last edited by: strongbear0: Mar 3, 16 9:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, can't help. I chose the Vuka Aero so I could avoid those kink of clamps.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Umm, same clamps, same bars, same design mine just has an integrated stem and yours does not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand how they can move. Mine are bolted in the second hole from the center and once the bolts are hand tight, they don't go anywhere. How much riser height do you have? Are the risers properly in place and bolted tight?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Move how? At 4Nm, I've never had slippage issues.

The risers are 6Nm from the bottom of the bar. Make sure those are seated properly and torqued.

Then torque the bolts that bind the extensions; this can be harder to put a wrench on depending on which way you have the bars configured - in my case, I have no additional risers and they are facing inward (narrow setup), so I have to do them by feel to 4Nm.

Then torque the armpads to 4Nm.

You should not need to use any grip paste or anything else. I've built up a half-dozen of these bars and have never had slippage.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Vuka Stealth armrest torque specs [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The armrest moved down when I rested my elbow on them spinning the extension in the clamp that holds them. I did torque the riser bolts first to 6nm getting the tilt where I wanted then I torqued the extension clamps to 4nm and lastly I torqued the armrest bolts to 4nm. I added more carbon paste and it seems to have fixed the issue, but I haven't taken it out on the road and the first bump could shift things. I am using profile design T1+ carbon extensions, but that shouldn't matter considering they are the same diameter. I contacted Zipp/SRAM and they suggested roughing up the finish on the extension with some fine grit sand paper just where the clamps make contact to create a better friction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you torque your bolts using sequence?
Quote Reply
Re: Vuka Stealth armrest torque specs [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, snug one then the other, there's no sequence like the stem bolts but I didn't just torque one all the way then the other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you achieve the desired armrest stack by adjusting at the fork steerer or extension pedestals instead of rotating the pad mounts on the extensions? I think with any of the bar systems that rely on clamping against a carbon extension you risk slippage from hard hits, vibration, etc. On the SC 9.9 bars I just conceded the issue and set the pads so the clamp hardware was rotated against or very close to other metal clamp hardware. My Vuka Stealth is set up the same way.

I do wish the Vuka hardware allowed for stacking various combinations of extension risers. With the new 5mm riser it would allow pretty fine tuning of the cockpit stack.
Quote Reply
Re: Vuka Stealth armrest torque specs [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you suggesting leaving the armrest at their lowest position and added more spacers to the steerer tube? Unfirtunately I already have a 10mm headset cap and a 25mm spacer and my steerer tube is cut right at the top of the vuka stem so there's no room to go up there. I actually wanted to slam the stem on a 5mm bearing cap without any spacers, but I'm 6'4 and needed the extra 25mm headset spacer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I might see the problem. Are we talking about the purple brackets in the Vuka manual below:

http://zipp.com/_media/pdfs/manuals/95-6618-004-000-REV-B-Vuka-Stealth.pdf

Look at how Zipp is showing them; all the way down. That's the way my shop set them up and the way I left them. You can raise the pads by bringing them in or by using the risers to raise the extensions and the pads. The brackets that mount the extensions also mount in or out, giving you lots of options.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, the purple brackets, all the way down doesn't get me close to the stack height I need. Seems to be fixed with the carbon paste, but we'll see on the first ride. It's actually spinning the extension in the other bracket, the purple bracket in the instruction that hold the armrest is fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You really should set it up the way Zipp designed it. How much riser height do you have now?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is set up the way that zipp designed it, what makes you think that it's not? The vuka stealth is designed to have many different positions, 1,920 according to zipp, there's more the one way to setup this aerobar and that's the whole reason I bought it because the armpads will go wide enough for my really broad shoulders. I'm not doing something out of the ordinary with my setup, it's all setup according to zipps recommendations from the vuka fit software and torqued to their specifications. It has the 50mm pad risers installed.

[URL=http://s172.photobucket.com/...zpstrdrldfo.jpg.html][/url]
Last edited by: strongbear0: Mar 4, 16 4:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not see why it is a problem I torqued mine to spec nothing more and even did a little less on the clamps to my bar. I have the carbon vuka bull with the carbon extensions and vuka clip on pads on a shiv as well. I haven't had them move at all and can really push on them without any movement. I used carbon paste and all zipp products. I know it doesn't help but I am unsure why its an issue it shouldn't be.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Mar 4, 16 5:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What extensions are you using? Perhaps they have a slightly smaller dimension than needed for the extension clamps?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply

Prev Next