Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vittoria Open Corsa EVO SL
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried these tires? I'm using Open Corsa CX IIIs on my road bike currently but from what the data suggests, the Corsa CX aero qualities are terrible. One theory is because of the (useless) tread pattern. Has anyone tried the slick version? I haven't seen any roller tests comparing the Crr of these vs. the CX IIIs but I assume they should be very similar since they should be the same material.

Looking to take advantage of the Competitive Cyclist sale but not sure I want to take the leap without more data.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Corsa EVO SL [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
Has anyone tried these tires? I'm using Open Corsa CX IIIs on my road bike currently but from what the data suggests, the Corsa CX aero qualities are terrible. One theory is because of the (useless) tread pattern. Has anyone tried the slick version? I haven't seen any roller tests comparing the Crr of these vs. the CX IIIs but I assume they should be very similar since they should be the same material.

Looking to take advantage of the Competitive Cyclist sale but not sure I want to take the leap without more data.

Never mind, I found Tom A's roller tests, had misread the chart and assumed the SL on the chart was the CX. Looks like I'm buying new tires to swap in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to believe they did something to make the SL slower. The casing is the same... different tread compound? Could be just random variation too I suppose.

The aero "problem" is probably due to the roundness of the tire and the lip where the tread meets the sidewall. All tires with glued-on tread suffer from this.

For clinchers on TT bikes, I'd have to go with Supersonics or Attacks.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Corsa EVO SL [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Hard to believe they did something to make the SL slower. The casing is the same... different tread compound? Could be just random variation too I suppose.

The aero "problem" is probably due to the roundness of the tire and the lip where the tread meets the sidewall. All tires with glued-on tread suffer from this.

For clinchers on TT bikes, I'd have to go with Supersonics or Attacks.

Tom A's data seems to put the SLs as very fast Crr-wise (at least for the 23c last year SL model) but I don't see a direct test of the Corsa CX on his spreadsheet. Do you know how his results (pre-adjustment by 1.5x from roller to road Crr) compare to the AFM data, which is unadjusted?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The SR 24mm did poorly. https://docs.google.com/...RONTVVeGs/edit?pli=1

I tested a 23mm CX last year and it was very good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
The SR 24mm did poorly. https://docs.google.com/...RONTVVeGs/edit?pli=1

I tested a 23mm CX last year and it was very good.

I'll have to take Vittoria at face value when they say the Corsa SL is the same as the Corsa CX except with slick tread then
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The SL, formerly known under the name of Open Slick as well as Bonty's RXL Pro, have a really great history with being the fastest or possibly second fastest rolling tire (GP SS 23mm).

In Tom A's tire test, he used the older 23mm model of the SL. The SL is 22mm and looks identical to the Open Corsas Triathlon model except with a smoother profile. It is going to roll as well as the Triathlon model if not better.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Corsa EVO SL [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure? Maybe the Isogrip tread is worse for Crr than what Vittoria used before?

BTW... the Triathlon says 22mm but it is quite a bit smaller than the 23mm CX. Wouldn't surprise me if it was built on the old 20mm casing... which was always big for a 20.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know how wide the 22mm version of this tire actually measures?
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Corsa EVO SL [pritchet74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pritchet74 wrote:
Does anyone know how wide the 22mm version of this tire actually measures?

How do you want me to measure them? I have the Open Corsa CX III 23c as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can get them on a narrow-ish rim and pump them up to 100 psi and measure them with calipers that'd be perfect. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Open Corsa EVO SL [pritchet74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's going to vary some depending on pressure and age, and vary a lot depending on the rim, but it is real close to 22mm on a 19.5mm wide rim. Note that includes the tread lip that sticks out on the side with this type of tire.

The aero performance has been measured a couple places, and it isn't good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know. Thanks.
Quote Reply